The Student Room Group

Maintenance grant / loan question

Hi - I'm a parent seeking some advice please. Although we have a household income of £52K a year, after paying London rent, bills, food etc etc there is very little left over and I have no finance to offer my son to help him through uni. Havingresearched student finance last year, my understanding was that maintenanceloan/grant was based on household residual income taking into considerationyour monthly outgoings, but having completed student support application I cansee this is no the case. We have no savings and I am concerned that my sonwill not be able to afford student accommodation let alone provide food andbooks and travel for himself. Can you offer any advice please?
Hi there,

Based on the household income you have quoted, your son would be entitled to a Maintenance Loan of £6830 for the academic year 2014/15. Please note this rate is based on your son living away from home during his studies, and would decrease if he will still be living at home while he studies.

We recommend your son speaks to the university/college he plans to attend to check if he qualifies for any scholarships, bursaries or any additional sources of finance.

Thanks
Reply 2
Thanks Mark, however I don't understand how you reached that figure. My sons offer has just I come through and it is £4700. Currently feeling most concerned - it looks like he can barely afford accommodation let alone food and everything else Can you advise any further please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending