The Student Room Group

Nervous about starting uni again after social Siberia- please help!

Basically I've taken a year off from uni for health reasons, almost coming to the end of it now thankfully. I'm an international student so I haven't been in the UK and obviously haven't seen my uni friends in a year, plus my friends from home are off at their respective universities, so it's been a very lonely year and I've felt very low for the first time in my life.

I took my year off after my second year, so will be going into my third year next year, and all my friends would have graduated, some are sticking around in the same city but it's obviously not the same as having them at uni with me since they'll be working. I'm getting really nervous about surviving my last year at uni, I make friends fairly easily but I'm not going to be a fresher so I'm not sure how I'd make new friends! I know people who make new friends in 2nd and 3rd year all the time but I'm not sure how because I've always been someone who had a group to rely on from the beginning. I'm hoping to get a place at uni halls, which should make things slightly easier - though it's very unlikely that I'll get a place, it's still worth a shot. But say I don't stay in uni accommodation, how would I make friends with people from uni? Would other 3rd years still be willing to make new friends at this point at uni, when they've already got established friend groups and are frankly almost done with uni? I'm getting really stressed about this and I'd love to have a good social life again after this year of hell because I've just been feeling really insecure about everything. I also feel like right now I'm not properly keeping in touch with my close friends from home and at uni coz I feel like my life is such a failure, and I feel like once I'm back at uni and have friends around me I'll be in a better position. It sounds silly and really.. egotistical but it's just the way I am I guess. Any help or advice would be great! Even just general feel-good advice that doesn't specifically deal with the making friends bit would be appreciated lol, I'm in a very philosophical state lately. Thanks!
Reply 1
argh argh mush mush altaf will eat you up mush mush argh argh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending