The Student Room Group

NCS: The Challenge

http://www.ncsthechallenge.org/

I'm going away in August with NCS to do a one week activity week and one week at university.

I'm really looking forward to going to uni, I'm wondering if anyone has been on NCS The Challenge and would anyone tell me how it was and what the uni rooms are like, and what the look like?? (pic's please)

Thanks in advance..

Aj.......

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile: I went on it and I didn't completely enjoy all of it but overall I learnt a lot and had a good time :smile:
Oh, btw there're 3 weeks that you have to do not 2 and you also meet in september for like 5 saturdays. The third week is planning a project.
Now, we didn't go to a university, we stayed in university accomodation. It was fun, we ordered our own food and cooked it and stayed in a student accomodation flat which had en-suite bathrooms! It wasn't anything fancy just type "university accomodation" into google and that's what it will look like. They all look the same.
I mean if you have any specific questions I can answer them :smile:
Original post by cerlohee
Hey :smile: I went on it and I didn't completely enjoy all of it but overall I learnt a lot and had a good time :smile:
Oh, btw there're 3 weeks that you have to do not 2 and you also meet in september for like 5 saturdays. The third week is planning a project.
Now, we didn't go to a university, we stayed in university accomodation. It was fun, we ordered our own food and cooked it and stayed in a student accomodation flat which had en-suite bathrooms! It wasn't anything fancy just type "university accomodation" into google and that's what it will look like. They all look the same.
I mean if you have any specific questions I can answer them :smile:

Hey, I'm going to NCS on the 30th June and I have heard mostly good reviews, however I have also heard bad reviews saying that it was very unorganized, is this true?? :confused:
Also do you need to bring an allowance??
Original post by DeepMeaning
Hey, I'm going to NCS on the 30th June and I have heard mostly good reviews, however I have also heard bad reviews saying that it was very unorganized, is this true?? :confused:

Yeah, it is true... For instance, in the 2nd week, we didn't have anywhere to hang out, so just had to hang out in hallways or outside which wasn't the best. But it's still worth doing!
Yeah, I would if I were you. We went to Wales for the 1st week and there were a load of shops that you could buy snacks etc from (and smokers also bought cigarettes). The quality of food was quite poor in the first week, and there wasn't much to go round. I found insects and hair in my food too :frown: So I'd defo bring stuff from home haha. You have stuff like kettles and microwaves so bring tea/coffee, sugar and longlife milk.
Any other questions? :smile: x
Reply 4
Hi
Could you please tell me what kind of activities you did that were intense such as Kayaking or long distance walking, because I'm a Type1 diabetic and Im worried how Ill cope.
Also how many people are there in a rooms?
Finally, What kind of food were you served?

Thanks sooo much:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sofia8991
Hi
Could you please tell me what kind of activities you did that were intense such as Kayaking or long distance walking, because I'm a Type1 diabetic and Im worried how Ill cope.

Hi!

I did The Challenge last year, and in the first week we canoed for about 8 miles, we did a high ropes course, and we also walked up a mountain and camped on the side of it overnight. Not everyone was at the same fitness level so don't worry too much about not being able to cope, as when I did it, everyone was very patient and the mentors were really helpful with those who were less able. Other groups did activities like beach scrambling and rock climbing.

There were 8 of us in our room, although other rooms had 4-6 people too.
The food wasn't too bad, they'd always have a vegetarian and non vegetarian option, although I found that the lunches were horrible - soggy sandwiches in paper bags, but I'm a very fussy eater, and most people managed fine, but I took some cereal bars and crisps with me just incase. There was plenty of food though, we could have as much fruit as we wanted and they gave us biscuits after we came back from our afternoon activities, before dinner, and we could make tea/coffee whenever we wanted.
(All of the above information is for week 1).
Sorry it's a bit long but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :smile:
Yeah, it is true... For instance, in the 2nd week, we didn't have anywhere to hang out, so just had to hang out in hallways or outside which wasn't the best. But it's still worth doing!
Yeah, I would if I were you. We went to Wales for the 1st week and there were a load of shops that you could buy snacks etc from (and smokers also bought cigarettes). The quality of food was quite poor in the first week, and there wasn't much to go round. I found insects and hair in my food too :frown: So I'd defo bring stuff from home haha. You have stuff like kettles and microwaves so bring tea/coffee, sugar and longlife milk.
Any other questions? :smile: x

OMG...are you serious? /: Did you tell anyone about it?
Original post by AJMistry

I'm going away in August with NCS to do a one week activity week and one week at university.

I'm really looking forward to going to uni, I'm wondering if anyone has been on NCS The Challenge and would anyone tell me how it was and what the uni rooms are like, and what the look like?? (pic's please)

Thanks in advance..

Aj.......

I went last year and it was great, apart from the fact nobody could cook in our flat, so we were screwed.

I am also being an associate mentor this year, so if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM :smile:
Original post by Kandybars
OMG...are you serious? /: Did you tell anyone about it?

Yeah I did and they couldn't really do anything about it haha. So everyone in my wave had to buy their own food :')
I see you're from Grenada. I am also from grenada (half) so we're probably related ahahha.
Original post by sofia8991
Hi

Sorry for the late reply- exam season.
Yeah we did kayaking, canoeing, raft building, canyoneering (which is awesome it's just like jumping off waterfalls and climbing mountains so you might not be able to bring sugary foods, else they'd get wet), we did a scenic mountain climb, rock climbing, abseiling, team sports like dodgeball. It was lots of fun :smile:
1st week there were 3 of us, 2nd week had our own rooms.
Food was like spaghetti and tomato sauce, chicken curry and rice, breakfasts we had cereal lunches were sandwiches, crisps, a piece of fruit and some juice. But tbh it was a year ago so i can't remember that well.
Hope this helped :smile:
Yeah I did and they couldn't really do anything about it haha. So everyone in my wave had to buy their own food :')
I see you're from Grenada. I am also from grenada (half) so we're probably related ahahha.

Wow...I really hope that doesn't happen to me lmao...I can imagine my friend going ballistic if that ever happened to her.
And hi-5! Maybe we are! :O I think my grandad knows most Grenadians. Usually if you give him a surname, he'll be able to tell you about that person's entire family haha.
Original post by Kandybars
Wow...I really hope that doesn't happen to me lmao...I can imagine my friend going ballistic if that ever happened to her.
And hi-5! Maybe we are! :O I think my grandad knows most Grenadians. Usually if you give him a surname, he'll be able to tell you about that person's entire family haha.

Are you doing it this summer? I mean don't get me wrong it's super fun and rewarding but it is a bit i'm a celebrity get me out of here at times ahahha.
Hmm I'll PM you haha
Reply 12
Are you doing it this summer? I mean don't get me wrong it's super fun and rewarding but it is a bit i'm a celebrity get me out of here at times ahahha.
Hmm I'll PM you haha

Yesss! I am doing the challenge this year! I'm looking forward to it. What types of activities did you do and what was week 2 like? How was the accommodation on both weeks?
Reply 13
Original post by AJMistry

Thanks in advance..

Aj.......

What dates in August??
Are you allowed to smoke on the challenge
if your a smoker are you allowed to smoke on the challenge
Reply 16
I know this is bad but I smoke and I'm going next to ncs next week were the smokers at yours actually allowed to smoke because I noticed that it said drugs were prohibited and if they saw you with them you'd get sent home. I really don't wanna get sent home but at the same time Im gonna need one at some point.
Reply 17
I'm going on the 10th of August are you aloud to smoke anywhere

Many thanks Billy
Reply 18
Original post by DeepMeaning

hey I'm also going on the 30th of June, where are u from ? and where are u going ? I'm going to the ullswater lake district for the first week
Original post by Heimdall
I went last year and it was great, apart from the fact nobody could cook in our flat, so we were screwed.

I am also being an associate mentor this year, so if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM :smile:

Haha sounds like fun! I'm going this summer and I'm going to try to learn to do some simple meals. I can do really basic stuff like fry an egg and make beans/cheese on toast, but I'm worried I won't be able to cope with the cooking! Also, how much money do you recommend taking in order to budget out the food? Do you recommend taking some snacks with me as well? Sorry for all the questions. :h::h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending