The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Musie Suzie
So you're entirely aware it is a PSYCHOLOGICAL problem, and are still willing to pay a LOT of money to be in excruciating PHYSICAL pain even without complications, never mind if anything went wrong?
Yes I am.
Without trying to sound controversial, isn't this psychological problem similar to people who feel like they were born in the wrong body or the wrong gender and want to pay a lot of money for surgery? Why is everyone telling him to just ignore something that is clearly a psychological issue that he has the means to improve on through surgery?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NothingToSeeHere
Without trying to sound controversial, isn't this psychological problem similar to people who feel like they were born in the wrong body or the wrong gender and want to pay a lot of money for surgery? Why is everyone telling him to just ignore something that is clearly a psychological issue that he has the means to improve on through surgery?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you really compare feeling like a woman stuck in a man's body to feeling like a six foot man stuck in a five foot ten man's body?

Cosmetic surgery is not the answer to psychological issues. This treatment is extremely expensive, brutally painful... it's hard to see how a mentally healthy person would want it.
Reply 23

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surgery won't fix his issues. Insecure people stay insecure.

Either way it'll probably go wrong and he'll regret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The difference between 5'10 and 6'1 is marginal, you're just in that group of people who are of average height. People wont treat you differently at all and you're also putting your body under extreme stress that could have long term consequences

Just go to the gym if you want to feel more confident about your body.
Reply 25
Yeah because 5ft 10 is really short 😒
It's your choice but deep down you know it's a waste of money, you could just tell people your 6ft and they won't even batter an eyelid
Original post by Mankytoes
Can you really compare feeling like a woman stuck in a man's body to feeling like a six foot man stuck in a five foot ten man's body?

Cosmetic surgery is not the answer to psychological issues. This treatment is extremely expensive, brutally painful... it's hard to see how a mentally healthy person would want it.

Yes I am comparing them because I don't see the difference. What exactly makes them so different I your eyes? I am curious.

Original post by Ggmu!
Surgery won't fix his issues. Insecure people stay insecure.

Either way it'll probably go wrong and he'll regret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might not simply be insecurity though. He says his siblings and dad are all taller than him and he feels like he is supposed to be taller than he is. I agree with your second paragraph though but it's still his choice to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I saw a documentary about this surgery once, it followed a couple of guys who had this surgery done from beforehand to a couple of years afterwards. It was at the clinic in the USA that was pioneering the development of the best research in the field and at the leading UK provider of the surgery. Both guys were 5'1''

It was pretty heartbreaking, I wept for them. They basically lost two years plus of their lives in surgery, in physio and in a very great deal of pain. They were left SO scarred, with bad limps (one was still walking with a stick after two years). One had gained an inch in height but walked with such a limp he had developed a bad hip which had affected his posture so his extra height did not show, and the other had encountered so many problems with infection that he had not gained a detectable difference in height.

A guy at out school was killed in a crash over the weekend. Kind of makes you address your priorities, which kind of made me think if you are actually serious about putting your healthy self thru this when you are 5'10'' tall, just to say you are six feet tall, you have some sort of body dysmorphia and need psychological not physical help.
Original post by Anonymous
Anon for obvious reasons. This post may sound troll-like when I mention my height but hear me out please.

My mum is 5 foot 6 and my dad is a little over 6 foot (he says he was 6'1 when he was in his 20s but has shrunk a bit since). I have put these values into numerous height predictors which say that my final height should have reached somewhere between 5 foot 11.5 and 6 foot 1 (the most common answer which comes out is 6 foot).

But my height is only a touch over 5 foot 10. I know people will say things like that's a fine height, that's only a little under what you were predicted to reach, you're average height for a man in this country, these height calculators are rubbish anyway, height doesn't matter, wear special height increasing shoes and a bunch of other crap. The truth is I want to be taller. Not by much, but by enough that I can say I am 6 foot, I have reached by potential and I can stop feeling inferior. This is destroying my confidence. I have a brother and sister who reached their genetic potential, so why didn't I? I want to be able to look my dad and brother in the eye, not be looking up to them. The same goes for looking many other guys in the eye (most adult males I observe are taller than me).

I have done some research on this already. I have come across this FAQ http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4261.0.html about limb lengthening surgery. Any length up to 7.5cm can be done fairly safely (beyond that there are complications). This would put me easily at 6'1 and increase my confidence dramatically. There are complications of course and the cost could be substantial, although I am prepared to pay that amount if it increases me above 6 foot.

What would you think of this? Does this sound viable?

For those guys who are shorter, I would recommend gathering the funds to get an operation like this done. I want it for my peace of mind and my confidence more than anything. I feel like I have come up short of my genetic potential height and it gets me down all the time.

That forum is scary. It's your perception, not your height that you need to change. The surgery sounds very scary and would more than likely leave you with scars or a disability.

You should talk the issue over with someone - you owe yourself that much. With any surgery, you have to weigh the risks with the benefits and I really don't think it would be worth it.
Yes I am comparing them because I don't see the difference. What exactly makes them so different I your eyes? I am curious.

It might not simply be insecurity though. He says his siblings and dad are all taller than him and he feels like he is supposed to be taller than he is. I agree with your second paragraph though but it's still his choice to do. Posted from TSR Mobile

Well for society generally, gender is an extremely important thing, it affects the way people treat you, how everyone perceives you. I can fully understand how hard it is for people who feel their sex and gender don't match.

Society doesn't treat five foot ten men and six foot tall men significantly differently. Bloody hell, it isn't unusual for someone to be two inches off in guessing someone's height. It's such a petty thing.

I know what it is like to be insecure about height. When I started secondary school, I was the smallest kid in the entire school, hundreds of kids, girls and boys. I was one of the smallest right up until sixth form, I can't have been significantly over five foot when I turned sixteen. Then I had a spurt, and in a couple of years I was my final height, five nine/ten. Of course I was insecure when I was small, no girls would ever want to kiss me, people took the piss, but it still wasn't the end of the world.

If you look at the financial and physical cost, just for a couple of inches, this just isn't worth it.
This reminds me of a programme I watched a month or so ago about guys undergoing penis enlargement surgery.. they all had average or above average size penises but regardless underwent dangerous surgery with dubious effectiveness - both of which they knew before going in.

This sounds very similar, OP! I'd understand guys in the sub 5'4'' range considering this surgery - much like guys with micropenises considering the enlargement surgery.

But 5'10''? You mad bro? A lot of guys out there would love to be that tall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well for society generally, gender is an extremely important thing, it affects the way people treat you, how everyone perceives you. I can fully understand how hard it is for people who feel their sex and gender don't match.

Society doesn't treat five foot ten men and six foot tall men significantly differently. Bloody hell, it isn't unusual for someone to be two inches off in guessing someone's height. It's such a petty thing.

I know what it is like to be insecure about height. When I started secondary school, I was the smallest kid in the entire school, hundreds of kids, girls and boys. I was one of the smallest right up until sixth form, I can't have been significantly over five foot when I turned sixteen. Then I had a spurt, and in a couple of years I was my final height, five nine/ten. Of course I was insecure when I was small, no girls would ever want to kiss me, people took the piss, but it still wasn't the end of the world.

If you look at the financial and physical cost, just for a couple of inches, this just isn't worth it.

I know they're on different wavelengths but that doesn't make it any more insignificant.

Trust me I'm not telling OP to go ahead and I'm not saying it's a good idea but I don't see how people can tell others that they can use surgery to fix their psychological problems and disagree with this one. All surgery has its own complications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I didnt know limb lengthening surgery was even a thing :s-smilie:
I don't have any issues with cosmetic surgery myself - do what you want, it can be a good investment (for example, if it makes you more confident, you may get a better job). However, would the cost (enough to buy a house in Scotland, or a shed in London) be worth it, or even within your reach?

If you begin to obsess about surgery (as some people do) you'll gradually feel worse about the problem you believe you have. If you can't afford to fix it, you'll get even worse. Perhaps see what your GP thinks?
Reply 34

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can you compare insecurity to a much more serious issue? Wow
Original post by Namige
How can you compare insecurity to a much more serious issue? Wow

Tell me what the difference is? Why is it much more serious to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know they're on different wavelengths but that doesn't make it any more insignificant.

Trust me I'm not telling OP to go ahead and I'm not saying it's a good idea but I don't see how people can tell others that they can use surgery to fix their psychological problems and disagree with this one. All surgery has its own complications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Confusing double negative, but height (talking about someone being average height and wanting to be a bit taller, not dwarves) is less significant than gender. The main difference being that people aren't treating him differently because he's five foot ten, it's in his head. If he starts dressing as a woman, people will treat him differently. One is a problem someone can get over, the other isn't.

Because situations are different. If there was a quick and painless surgery for a hundred quid that would gain him two inches, I'd say fine, this isn't purely a principle thing. To any rational person, the cost massively outweighs the gain.
Confusing double negative, but height (talking about someone being average height and wanting to be a bit taller, not dwarves) is less significant than gender The main difference being that people aren't treating him differently because he's five foot ten, it's in his head. If he starts dressing as a woman, people will treat him differently. One is a problem someone can get over, the other isn't.

Because situations are different. If there was a quick and painless surgery for a hundred quid that would gain him two inches, I'd say fine, this isn't purely a principle thing. To any rational person, the cost massively outweighs the gain.

Why is it less significant to you? Because you think so? How do we decide what is significant and what isn't when it pertains to psychological issues? This is a subjective dilemma and I wouldn't just easily dismiss it as insignificant. What the OP and all other people with psychological insecurities need is therapy and counselling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it less significant to you? Because you think so? How do we decide what is significant and what isn't when it pertains to psychological issues? This is a subjective dilemma and I wouldn't just easily dismiss it as insignificant. What the OP and all other people with psychological insecurities need is therapy and counselling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Er, for the reasons I've just given, the importance society places on them. I'm not talking about my personal experiences- as I've said, I've had height insecurities, but not gender insecurities.

That's exactly my point. What he doesn't need is to spend a small fortune splitting his leg bones.
Original post by Anonymous
Anon for obvious reasons. This post may sound troll-like when I mention my height but hear me out please.

My mum is 5 foot 6 and my dad is a little over 6 foot (he says he was 6'1 when he was in his 20s but has shrunk a bit since). I have put these values into numerous height predictors which say that my final height should have reached somewhere between 5 foot 11.5 and 6 foot 1 (the most common answer which comes out is 6 foot).

But my height is only a touch over 5 foot 10. I know people will say things like that's a fine height, that's only a little under what you were predicted to reach, you're average height for a man in this country, these height calculators are rubbish anyway, height doesn't matter, wear special height increasing shoes and a bunch of other crap. The truth is I want to be taller. Not by much, but by enough that I can say I am 6 foot, I have reached by potential and I can stop feeling inferior. This is destroying my confidence. I have a brother and sister who reached their genetic potential, so why didn't I? I want to be able to look my dad and brother in the eye, not be looking up to them. The same goes for looking many other guys in the eye (most adult males I observe are taller than me).

I have done some research on this already. I have come across this FAQ http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4261.0.html about limb lengthening surgery. Any length up to 7.5cm can be done fairly safely (beyond that there are complications). This would put me easily at 6'1 and increase my confidence dramatically. There are complications of course and the cost could be substantial, although I am prepared to pay that amount if it increases me above 6 foot.

What would you think of this? Does this sound viable?

For those guys who are shorter, I would recommend gathering the funds to get an operation like this done. I want it for my peace of mind and my confidence more than anything. I feel like I have come up short of my genetic potential height and it gets me down all the time.

Do NOT get any surgery, you could end up paralysed, **** that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cushion-Height-Increase-Taller-Insoles/dp/B005B16D9U/ref=sr_1_2?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1400545777&sr=1-2&keywords=lifts

Get lifts mate, i wear em' I'm 5"9 and i become 6"2 with lifts + my platforms with a 3 inch heel, you will be exactly 6" if you get these.

btw it's an insecurity that will never fade, despite being taller with these things I still get down if anyone is taller than me, and they often are; this is often a result of bullying (in my experience) in first year this girl who was a supposed "friend" used to call me short and always go on about how short guys are unattractive, and tell me how I'm so short compared to other guys....

seriously d/w about it please it's a disgusting insecurity, 5"10 is some people's dream height

Latest