The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mankytoes
Er, for the reasons I've just given, the importance society places on them. I'm not talking about my personal experiences- as I've said, I've had height insecurities, but not gender insecurities.

That's exactly my point. What he doesn't need is to spend a small fortune splitting his leg bones.

That's the point. Why should it matter what importance society places on their psychological issue? It shouldn't matter, what matters is what the person thinks themselves. Look at the thread, most if not all (including me) thinks that OP shouldn't go ahead with it but yet OP isn't convinced. Does this sound like someone who cares what society thinks?

To you that's spending a small fortune on splitting his leg bones, that might mean the world to him so you're not really in the position to determine what the importance signifies to him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it will make you happy then go for it. I myself see nothing against plastic surgery as long as the NHS is not paying for it. Who said you should be happy with the imperfections God made you with.
Reply 42
If cutting your hands off makes you happy, go for it! If cutting your nipples off make you happy, go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophiedurrant
I am a 5 ft 2 girl hahaha!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Height isn't nearly as important for a girl.

Original post by Gentle Soul
This is just pathetic. You need to open your eyes and see the world if you think such a trivial issue is worth mulling over.

Can you really compare feeling like a woman stuck in a man's body to feeling like a six foot man stuck in a five foot ten man's body?

Cosmetic surgery is not the answer to psychological issues. This treatment is extremely expensive, brutally painful... it's hard to see how a mentally healthy person would want it.
The cost is not an issue. I can gather the money within maybe a year if I work very hard. They don't leave you in agonising pain. They have painkillers and anesthetics for that.

Original post by Zürich
The difference between 5'10 and 6'1 is marginal, you're just in that group of people who are of average height. People wont treat you differently at all and you're also putting your body under extreme stress that could have long term consequences

Just go to the gym if you want to feel more confident about your body.
It's not marginal. 3 inches is a huge difference. I've stood next to guys who are in the 6'-6'2 range and they feel like a giant compared to me. 3 inches is much bigger than you think. I'm not bothered if people don't treat me differently. I want it for my peace of mind and to help my own confidence. This is not to do with other people. Since the age of 18, I've always wanted to be taller and always compared my height to people around me.

Original post by BRQ
Yeah because 5ft 10 is really short
It's your choice but deep down you know it's a waste of money, you could just tell people your 6ft and they won't even batter an eyelid
It's not the absolute height, it's the perception of my height (read the link I gave on the first page). As I said to the person above me, I don't care that much about other people's opinions of me. I feel uncomfortable with myself and I want this for myself.

Original post by NothingToSeeHere
It might not simply be insecurity though. He says his siblings and dad are all taller than him and he feels like he is supposed to be taller than he is. I agree with your second paragraph though but it's still his choice to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My sister isn't taller than me but she is almost 5'7 and when she wears he boots, she comes close to my height. Our family was walking back from a restaurant over Christmas and I felt so short compared to everyone else. My dad and brother were over 6 foot. Yes it's only about a couple of inches height difference but it feels ginormous when you're stood near each other. I know they don't think I'm short and frankly I couldn't care less even if they did. I want this because I don't feel comfortable with myself. I feel like I am missing something. Like I say, I have constantly compared my height to people around me since I was 18 and it's not stopped. I would feel so much happier being over 6 foot.

Original post by LolaLowe
I saw a documentary about this surgery once, it followed a couple of guys who had this surgery done from beforehand to a couple of years afterwards. It was at the clinic in the USA that was pioneering the development of the best research in the field and at the leading UK provider of the surgery. Both guys were 5'1''

It was pretty heartbreaking, I wept for them. They basically lost two years plus of their lives in surgery, in physio and in a very great deal of pain. They were left SO scarred, with bad limps (one was still walking with a stick after two years). One had gained an inch in height but walked with such a limp he had developed a bad hip which had affected his posture so his extra height did not show, and the other had encountered so many problems with infection that he had not gained a detectable difference in height.

A guy at out school was killed in a crash over the weekend. Kind of makes you address your priorities, which kind of made me think if you are actually serious about putting your healthy self thru this when you are 5'10'' tall, just to say you are six feet tall, you have some sort of body dysmorphia and need psychological not physical help.
That sounds like an extreme case. If you get it from a reputable surgeon and you're a healthy person, the surgery and healing process takes about 6 months, or so I've read.

Well for society generally, gender is an extremely important thing, it affects the way people treat you, how everyone perceives you. I can fully understand how hard it is for people who feel their sex and gender don't match.

Society doesn't treat five foot ten men and six foot tall men significantly differently. Bloody hell, it isn't unusual for someone to be two inches off in guessing someone's height. It's such a petty thing.

I know what it is like to be insecure about height. When I started secondary school, I was the smallest kid in the entire school, hundreds of kids, girls and boys. I was one of the smallest right up until sixth form, I can't have been significantly over five foot when I turned sixteen. Then I had a spurt, and in a couple of years I was my final height, five nine/ten. Of course I was insecure when I was small, no girls would ever want to kiss me, people took the piss, but it still wasn't the end of the world.

If you look at the financial and physical cost, just for a couple of inches, this just isn't worth it.
This isn't about girls. I know I'm tall enough for most girls. I have also never been teased about my height or called short or anything of the sort.

Original post by Simonion
This reminds me of a programme I watched a month or so ago about guys undergoing penis enlargement surgery.. they all had average or above average size penises but regardless underwent dangerous surgery with dubious effectiveness - both of which they knew before going in.

This sounds very similar, OP! I'd understand guys in the sub 5'4'' range considering this surgery - much like guys with micropenises considering the enlargement surgery.

But 5'10''? You mad bro? A lot of guys out there would love to be that tall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So because 'a lot of guys out there would love to be that tall' I just shouldn't bother? Why do we bother to earn more money? There are Africans out there starving, we should be content with what we've got. Society would not advance and we would not better ourselves if we said these things to ourselves.

Original post by (Ari)
What are you going to tell people you were in hospital for 6 months for? How are you going to explain the scars on your legs? LOL. If anyone realised you had the surgery just to be a little taller then they'd lose all respect for you. Just get elevator shoes if you're that bothered.
I'm not bothered about these things. If they must know the truth, I will say I got surgery to increase my height because I felt I dropped short of my genetic potential (which predicted me to read 6 foot).

Original post by russellsteapot
I don't have any issues with cosmetic surgery myself - do what you want, it can be a good investment (for example, if it makes you more confident, you may get a better job). However, would the cost (enough to buy a house in Scotland, or a shed in London) be worth it, or even within your reach?

If you begin to obsess about surgery (as some people do) you'll gradually feel worse about the problem you believe you have. If you can't afford to fix it, you'll get even worse. Perhaps see what your GP thinks?
GPs will just say 'you're within the normal height range for a male' and then offer to send me to a counsellor. GPs are **** with this sort of stuff. They have no idea. One has to wonder how they even graduated from medical school because they are just clueless on issues like these.

Original post by Namige
How can you compare insecurity to a much more serious issue? Wow
She has a point. How is this any different from someone who wants to be a different gender?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
That sounds like an extreme case. If you get it from a reputable surgeon and you're a healthy person, the surgery and healing process takes about 6 months, or so I've read.

reputable? this was one case in the best clinic for this surgery in the US and one in the best clinic in the UK as I mentioned. Also both of these clinics allowed filming and interviews so one would get the impression that they were not exactly surprised at the outcome of these two cases.

You know the pain and therapy and scarring involved right? you know that both femurs cannot be guaranteed to heal in the same way and you may end up with one longer than the other with a need to wear a corrective shoe right? you know that all bones do not heal perfectly straight right?

this is a really extreme procedure whatever you might have read, I expect that most reputable surgeons would refuse to treat you on those grounds.

however, if you do happen to find a surgeon that would do this, and it would have to be a privately performed procedure, then I wish you luck. I think you are an absolute nutter, but I wish you well nonetheless.
Height isn't nearly as important for a girl.

The cost is not an issue. I can gather the money within maybe a year if I work very hard. They don't leave you in agonising pain. They have painkillers and anesthetics for that

Don't be so naive. ALL surgeries leave you in pain - painkillers can alleviate it but rarely eliminate it altogether. You'd probably be bed-bound for a while too. Your legs would be broken in multiple places for this procedure - that is going to cause you agony.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NothingToSeeHere
That's the point. Why should it matter what importance society places on their psychological issue? It shouldn't matter, what matters is what the person thinks themselves. Look at the thread, most if not all (including me) thinks that OP shouldn't go ahead with it but yet OP isn't convinced. Does this sound like someone who cares what society thinks?

To you that's spending a small fortune on splitting his leg bones, that might mean the world to him so you're not really in the position to determine what the importance signifies to him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it matters, if you aren't a hermit, how people view you will massively effect your life. I don't know what more to say to you if you don't see the difference in signficance of getting a sex change and gaining two inches, it's just self evident.

He can do what he wants, I'm not trying to control him, but why post on a forum if you don't want people's opinions?
Of course it matters, if you aren't a hermit, how people view you will massively effect your life. I don't know what more to say to you if you don't see the difference in signficance of getting a sex change and gaining two inches, it's just self evident.

He can do what he wants, I'm not trying to control him, but why post on a forum if you don't want people's opinions?

Yes, of course he cares.

The surgery is incredibly dangerous and will more than likely produce terrible results - it just isn't worth the risk. Any surgeon who even attempts the procedure is deeply unethical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you thought about

- risk of infection

- risk of one leg being shorter than the other due to bone healing processes (and if you're self conscious now I bet it will be a million times worse if you end up in special shoes)

- risk of nerve damage and being unable to walk properly (again won't help your self esteem issues)

- that you might feel just as unhappy and inadequate after the operation?

Why don't you try some kind of therapy before going through with it? It can't hurt and won't change anything
Reply 49
Even though I agree with most of what's been said above, I'll give my piece of advice: Try to focus on becoming a better person and someone useful to the society and not on how to look taller. I'm sure your dad accepts you the way you are now. And, afterall, you know what? You're probably going to die in about 70 years. No I don't want to sound like a pessimist, no I don't mean you shouldn't enjoy life. I'm just saying that life's too short to waste it on things like that. Go out and take up a new hobby, focus on what's inside and not what's outside.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel the same bro, I was also amongst those tall guys in school who used to sit on back benches/rows, most people around me almost agreed to the fact that I'm gonna get a height of my fav bond character (6'2/6'3) but every thing went horrible post 14 yrs of age, my height stopped growing and I saw myself being locked with a height of 5'10, I always regret not excersicing enough during my childhood period in order to reach 6 feet early. Now I'm also thinking about limb lengthening surgery for getting my goal height of 6'1.
Anon for obvious reasons. This post may sound troll-like when I mention my height but hear me out please.

My mum is 5 foot 6 and my dad is a little over 6 foot (he says he was 6'1 when he was in his 20s but has shrunk a bit since). I have put these values into numerous height predictors which say that my final height should have reached somewhere between 5 foot 11.5 and 6 foot 1 (the most common answer which comes out is 6 foot).

But my height is only a touch over 5 foot 10. I know people will say things like that's a fine height, that's only a little under what you were predicted to reach, you're average height for a man in this country, these height calculators are rubbish anyway, height doesn't matter, wear special height increasing shoes and a bunch of other crap. The truth is I want to be taller. Not by much, but by enough that I can say I am 6 foot, I have reached by potential and I can stop feeling inferior. This is destroying my confidence. I have a brother and sister who reached their genetic potential, so why didn't I? I want to be able to look my dad and brother in the eye, not be looking up to them. The same goes for looking many other guys in the eye (most adult males I observe are taller than me).

I have done some research on this already. I have come across this FAQ http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4261.0.html about limb lengthening surgery. Any length up to 7.5cm can be done fairly safely (beyond that there are complications). This would put me easily at 6'1 and increase my confidence dramatically. There are complications of course and the cost could be substantial, although I am prepared to pay that amount if it increases me above 6 foot.

What would you think of this? Does this sound viable?

For those guys who are shorter, I would recommend gathering the funds to get an operation like this done. I want it for my peace of mind and my confidence more than anything. I feel like I have come up short of my genetic potential height and it gets me down all the time.

This litterally makes so fking sad i m 5'7 duuude what should i do kill my self that no one cares about me your height is fine dawg just work on your confidence

Latest