The Student Room Group

Gynecology Appointment

Hi there

In 3 Weeks I have my first appointment with gynecology to find out what is causing my ongoing pelvic pain over right ovary I have has since September.

I am very nervous and anxious about the appointment as I don't know what to expect. I know there is a likelihood of a pelvic examination and a trans-vaginal ultrasound( my GP said I would most likely get a scan again to see if it has changed since my last scan in February). I have never had a smear or pelvic exam before so don't know what to expect.

Plus I am going alone to my appointment as my mum is busy as are my close friends.

Any advice, tips or help would be helpful.
Hey, though I've never actually been to see a gyny as such.. I've experienced similar when I was admitted as an emergency..! So I guess I was in a slightly different mindset at the time.

However, these people see this kind of thing regularly, I know it's bearing all, but they probably don't even think about it. They know it'll make some people feel awkward so will try to relax you as much as possible. Ovarian ultrasounds just involve them scanning your lower abdomen, so nothing too embarrasing. Most radiographers will actually talk you through it if you ask :smile:

I've had both male and female doctors stick varying instruments and things up there to see what's going on.. It doesn't take long atall, you'll be relieved once it's over. Depending on what they choose to do, you may find it stings to pee post examination. But this doesn't last that long..
I've had hands, catheters and cystoscopes there. (Though was under GA for cystostocpy) (this was urological)
Don't worry about it, they will also usually ask for the person accompanying you to leave the room unless you specifically ask them to stay. If it's a male doctor who is going to carry out the exam, you can request a female I believe, or usually a chaperone in the form of a nurse will be there.

Just relax and it'll all be fine, don't stress about it :smile:! The embarrassment won't last long, especially if you get a result relatively soon and can begin treatment :smile:!
Good luck :smile: x
Reply 2
Yes~ excellent answer above.

However embarrassing you find it, its their job and they spend all day looking a vages : )

All the same, ask to see a woman. I know the men do it for a living, too, & some are gay & care even less, but its just more chilled with a woman, ive found.

Usually they ask you to take your bottom half off/ hoik up your skirt, not get into a gown.

A gyne exam is~ they stick a speculum inside you. Its a disposable metal instrument, a bit like a metal finger (or two fingers) & lever your vagina open a bit. Sometimes i dont feel it, sometimes im uncomfortable, other times it hurts. I think its related to where i am in my cycle, & also if im sexually active at the time i seem to - ahem- open a little more easily.

Then she'll look inside you. They make small talk to relax you. This is weird as her head is right in your crotch. They have a light on a bendy arm to point at your bits.

Then they say 'you have a lovely pink cervix'. Then they stick a long thing in (i cant remember what it looks like as i stare at the ceiling most of the time) to take a swab.

I had an ultrasound, as i was being tested for endometriosis.
One part is like a metal vibrator thing (not vibrating, ha ha). I asked to put it in myself. The second bit is gel on your stomach, just like baby sonograms.

For both they wear gloves, & use lube.

You dress & undress behind a screen. If you're nervous you can ask for another nurse to come in & hold your hand ~ i did that for the sonogram as i was upset.

If you get an MRI scan, they are quite cool. You undress partially as you cant wear metal inside, then lie on a bed which slides into the huge ring. Its noisy so you get ear plugs and ear defender things. My abdo one took 30 mins. They usually let you select a film to watch. You get a heavy blanket laid over you to help imaging, & help you lie still. I actually thought that was fun. Way better than strangers looking at my vag!

If you are worried, plan to treat yourself to something afterwards, whether its a nice sandwich or vogue or a huge g&t : )

take your phone/ipod fully charged, & something to read, in case there's a wait.

Gyne exams are weird the first time anyway but add in something stressful like mystery pain & i, & other girls i know, have been upset just walking in. For all but one of us it was nothing serious : )
Best of luck with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest