The Student Room Group

Worried about my mother

Hello,

My mother recently went for a mammogram test for Breast cancer and had blood tests done as well a few weeks ago. I saw a letter saying nothing had been found and questioned why she hadn't told me what was happening, she said it was nothing to worry about. I am now back at university and got a text from her wondering whether I want to go to dinner with her. She has never offered this before, I am in the middle of exams and she knows this, and it is really out of her way to do this. What is the likelihood she is going to tell me she has breast-cancer or am I just being paranoid?

Any help would be appreciated. :frown:
I think you're being a little paranoid, but it's understandable.

If the blood tests have already come back clear, I'm sure she's fine - she could have just been having a routine test done, or found a benign lump of some kind.

Did her text have a tone of seriousness to it, or was it a casual one?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

My mother recently went for a mammogram test for Breast cancer and had blood tests done as well a few weeks ago. I saw a letter saying nothing had been found and questioned why she hadn't told me what was happening, she said it was nothing to worry about. I am now back at university and got a text from her wondering whether I want to go to dinner with her. She has never offered this before, I am in the middle of exams and she knows this, and it is really out of her way to do this. What is the likelihood she is going to tell me she has breast-cancer or am I just being paranoid?

Well if you saw the letter saying nothing has been found then there shouldn't b anything to worry about, maybe she just knows that you're very concerned for her and wants to just take you out for a meal, but don't take my word for it!!
Reply 3
Naturally I think for a situation like that you're being paranoid.. I know I would be.

I doubt your mother would want to put that sort of stress on you while you're doing your exams if it was true.

I'd say remain optimistic. For situations like that it's the best you can do otherwise you'll be distracted from your exams, which I doubt you or your mother would want.

EDIT: After re-reading I wrote a load of stuff completely irrelevant...
(edited 9 years ago)
What I learned in the past few weeks regarding mothers and illnesses is go ask directly if you need to know something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe a dinner to celebrate that nothing has been found?
Hello,

If the letter says she is clear of breast cancer, then she is clear of breast cancer. The reasons why she failed to inform you of this good news are many and varied, but are almost certainly (unless you misinterpreted the letter or there has been a catastrophic NHS error regarding her diagnosis) nothing to do with her hiding her breast cancer from you.

Think about it from your mother's perspective: imagine the immense emotional strain that sort of uncertainty, self-doubt and sense of pending mortality would have put her under. Imagine how it must have been to consider a terminal diagnosis, and how abruptly that would have put her life in perspective. This invitation to dinner may seem out-of-the-ordinary, but when you consider the fact that your mother was only recently facing the possibility of an early death, it seems to me that her motivation might have something to do with wanting to appreciate every second of her time with her family and not the considerably more morbid conclusion you have (understandably) come it.

It's not impossible she has some big news to break, and it's not impossible it's to do with breast cancer (sorry, you did ask for probability!), but it seems very unlikely. Stop worrying and get back to revising! :smile:
Reply 7
Hello,

Hi OP I was in your exact position last year. I freaked out when my mum had to get tests done for breast cancer. It was worse cos she kept it from me yet told someone my younger sister knew. (I am the more sensitive one so im guessing she didn't want me to worry and get distracted from exams or whatever). I was too scared to actually ask her but thankfully I found a few week later she didnt have it. I can understand that its going to be really hard for you not to over think but I guess you shouldnt think about it too much until its been confirmed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending