The Student Room Group

Why is a forbidden relationship so attractive?

Of course they are immoral.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Autistic Merit
What I'm talking about is a relationship with someone who, for whatever reason, you are not allowed to have a relationship with. Some examples could be your teacher, doctor, cousin or your friend's partner. Why are these desirable to some?

Note: I am not saying that forbidden relationships are always more desirable than non-forbidden ones. That would be absurd.

I don't think that 'forbidden' relationships are more desirable in anyway. It's just that some people have fallen for someone who in some ways they can't have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Sometimes they have basically just fallen for someone they can't have but back to the question :grin:

I guess some people just like the feeling of being rebellious and doing something they're not supposed to do, or in this case, liking someone they're not supposed to like. It's like when my mum tells me not to do something and I end up doing it anyway :teehee:
Reply 3
What I'm talking about is a relationship with someone who, for whatever reason, you are not allowed to have a relationship with. Some examples could be your teacher, doctor, cousin or your friend's partner. Why are these desirable to some?

Note: I am not saying that forbidden relationships are always more desirable than non-forbidden ones. That would be absurd.

Perhaps because it adds urgency, danger, vivacity and stakes to the relationship? Maybe people are looking for that kind of risk.
It's like a kid that wants a toy and then gets bored of it a short while later, just an inherent instinct to try and prove people wrong when they say 'you can't do this' whether it's what you really want or not.

I think there was also something to do regarding chemistry in the brain, let me google it

Edit - levels of dopamine (the pleasure chemical in the brain) continue to rise the longer you must wait to fulfill your desire, so it feels better to achieve something difficult or forbidden than something eaasy

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Forbidden fruit eh. Eve knows :biggrin:
Cousin?

**** no, that's nasty :puke:
Reply 7
so you like incest OP?
Original post by Tai Ga
so you like incest OP?

It was just an example. And, in some cultures, it is not actually forbidden to have sexual relations with a cousin.
Original post by karmacrunch

Edit: Erm... Why cousin? :lolwut:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Having a relationship with your cousin is forbidden in most cultures.
Having a relationship with your cousin is forbidden in most cultures.

Dw I know and I saw the above post (you said it was an example). :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It was just an example. And, in some cultures, it is not actually forbidden to have sexual relations with a cousin.

mhmmm sure :hmmm:
Could this explain adultery in some cases?
Could this explain adultery in some cases?

Adultery isn't justifiable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending