The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get into midwifery after studying an access?

I have just been accepted into college to do an access for midwifery. But I've just been reading a few people saying unis hate access students and its pretty much impossible to get into?but when i went to my interview the interviewer said loads of people have gone on to do midwifery after. So I'm just wanting to hear from anyone that has done an access and got into midwifery?
Original post by cords1101
I have just been accepted into college to do an access for midwifery. But I've just been reading a few people saying unis hate access students and its pretty much impossible to get into?but when i went to my interview the interviewer said loads of people have gone on to do midwifery after. So I'm just wanting to hear from anyone that has done an access and got into midwifery?

I just completed the access course. There were only three people wanting to do midwifery and they got in, everyone (including me) who wanted to do child nursing got in, most people got into adult (some through UCAS extra but still got in). As long as you're motivated, write a great personal statement, prepare for entry tests/interviews and make sure you select universities with realistic entry requirements you should be fine. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by roachesandratsx
I just completed the access course. There were only three people wanting to do midwifery and they got in, everyone (including me) who wanted to do child nursing got in, most people got into adult (some through UCAS extra but still got in). As long as you're motivated, write a great personal statement, prepare for entry tests/interviews and make sure you select universities with realistic entry requirements you should be fine. :smile:

Congratulations!! Thats great to hear as i started to stress. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? because i know unis have a rep of taking on older students over the younger ones and I'm scared this will work as a disadvantage for me as I'm 19 so when i apply to uni next year ill only be 20. Thanks for the advice
Congratulations!! Thats great to hear as i started to stress. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? because i know unis have a rep of taking on older students over the younger ones and I'm scared this will work as a disadvantage for me as I'm 19 so when i apply to uni next year ill only be 20. Thanks for the advice

Thanks!! I heard that but I'm 21 years old. I did the same thing, stressed over everything, worked out in the end though so hopefully it's the same for you. :smile: No problem!
Reply 4
Original post by roachesandratsx
Thanks!! I heard that but I'm 21 years old. I did the same thing, stressed over everything, worked out in the end though so hopefully it's the same for you. :smile: No problem!

Thanks hopefully so. Good luck with uni :smile:
Reply 5
I was worried after seeing that thousands of applicants apply to each Midwifery course, but I guess any of us could be one of the accepted applicants :smile: However I've done A-levels not access
Reply 6
Original post by iJess
I was worried after seeing that thousands of applicants apply to each Midwifery course, but I guess any of us could be one of the accepted applicants :smile: However I've done A-levels not access

I knew how competitive it is, i also have A levels but because of how competitive the course is and how weak my grades are i decided to do an access this year and apply for uni next! have you applied to uni this year?
Reply 7
I knew how competitive it is, i also have A levels but because of how competitive the course is and how weak my grades are i decided to do an access this year and apply for uni next! have you applied to uni this year?

I will be applying this year :smile: If I don't get in though not sure if I could do an access, don't think I would be eligible for funding
Reply 8
Original post by iJess
I will be applying this year :smile: If I don't get in though not sure if I could do an access, don't think I would be eligible for funding

I arent eligible for funding for the access so i have to pay it, the cost for this year hasn't been set but last year it was a max of £1,100
Reply 9
I arent eligible for funding for the access so i have to pay it, the cost for this year hasn't been set but last year it was a max of £1,100

Did you have to pay it up front or is it like a tuition fee loan?
Reply 10
sorry haven't been online for a while but i have to pay 25% of £1200 and something up front then the rest it instalments.

Quick Reply

Latest