The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is it possible to do a masters with an ordinary degree?
Reply 21
Would it be possible to get an Honours degree assuming you passed all 2nd and 3rd year modules, but failed a double module in the first year?
Reply 22
tomi88
Would it be possible to get an Honours degree assuming you passed all 2nd and 3rd year modules, but failed a double module in the first year?

Yes.
just wondering the diffrence between ordinary degree and hons degree.
Reply 24
amitkhurana
just wondering the diffrence between ordinary degree and hons degree.

Yes, you have one or the other, you cant have an ordinary hons degree.
In Scotland you can do 3 years and come out with a designated degree. 4th year is your honours year.
Reply 26
Herr Stamper
In Scotland you can do 3 years and come out with a designated degree. 4th year is your honours year.

...or an Ordinary degree in the 4th year.
This comment about scores (under 40%) is just not true! An employer worth their salt should also know that a final award of a pass degree is not necessarily a reflection of academic ability. Pass degrees can be awarded when, through exceptional circumtances, a student is unable to complete an honours degree. This is what happened to me. I received firsts for every module in my BSC (hons) degree with very high marks and was in line to receive a first overall for it. However, due to losing my husband and father close togther at the end of my third year, plus bcoming bankrupt and having to support 4 young children, I was unable to complete my last module. My uni offered me the option to accept a pass degree as I was unable to complete in a reasonble time frame.
Reply 28
Hi

I would like some opinion with my situation if possible from you guys. Currently I am in second year uni and I have struggled this year and I just got an email saying i failed my requirements to progress into honours. I am trying to appeal for another chance to re sit the exam to get into honours since this year I have suffered from eczema but I really doubt they will accept my appeal. At then end my personal tutor gave me the option to whether go on and do an ordinary degree and also appeal the decision but I want to do honours. So should I do an ordinary degree or seek a transfer to another uni and try second year again?

Hopefully you can get back to me ASAP cause I only have like a day or two to make an decision.
Reply 29
Original post by NelsonMak
Hi

I would like some opinion with my situation if possible from you guys. Currently I am in second year uni and I have struggled this year and I just got an email saying i failed my requirements to progress into honours. I am trying to appeal for another chance to re sit the exam to get into honours since this year I have suffered from eczema but I really doubt they will accept my appeal. At then end my personal tutor gave me the option to whether go on and do an ordinary degree and also appeal the decision but I want to do honours. So should I do an ordinary degree or seek a transfer to another uni and try second year again?

Hopefully you can get back to me ASAP cause I only have like a day or two to make an decision.

Honours degree or nothing
All of you guys are incorrect ! The difference between a degree with honors and a degree without is 60 ucas points, so an ordinary degree is 300 ucas points and an honors degree is 360 ucas points. That's it, also if you have failed your final year or part of it , you can transfer the credit to another university , such as the Open and do your honors there , also it will not prevent you from studying for a masters.

Employers value degrees highly , including without honors they very rarely ask what grade you have ! Dont worry about it just get more study and courses done, never stop learning.

(I teach at a university in the top five)
Reply 31
Original post by aspenmonkey
All of you guys are incorrect ! The difference between a degree with honors and a degree without is 60 ucas points, so an ordinary degree is 300 ucas points and an honors degree is 360 ucas points. That's it, also if you have failed your final year or part of it , you can transfer the credit to another university , such as the Open and do your honors there , also it will not prevent you from studying for a masters.

Employers value degrees highly , including without honors they very rarely ask what grade you have ! Dont worry about it just get more study and courses done, never stop learning.

Sorry, say wut now...?

You can't have an hons degree with 300 UCAS points? I know many people who do... and with fewer...

This is all utter nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile
You forgot to add IMO to that line , not sure when you got your degree but these days there are a variety of degrees open to people , which can be studied in their own right. Foundation degree , or a dip of HE , Bsc , and Bsc honours and such like. A student who gains a good grade at a bsc level can continue to study for honours

https://msds.open.ac.uk/students/study/undergraduate/qualification/bd such as this excellent course offered by the OU, an old ordinary degree can be offered to any one with more than 240 UCAS points above the 40 % pass mark but they still have go achieve this pass mark so if you fail one unit of your final year you can be awarded this degree.
This is not to be mistaken for the dedicated Bsc BA without honours you need 300 ucas points above 40 % to achieve this.

Best wishes
Reply 34
You forgot to add IMO to that line , not sure when you got your degree but these days there are a variety of degrees open to people , which can be studied in their own right. Foundation degree , or a dip of HE , Bsc , and Bsc honours and such like. A student who gains a good grade at a bsc level can continue to study for honours

https://msds.open.ac.uk/students/study/undergraduate/qualification/bd such as this excellent course offered by the OU, an old ordinary degree can be offered to any one with more than 240 UCAS points above the 40 % pass mark but they still have go achieve this pass mark so if you fail one unit of your final year you can be awarded this degree.
This is not to be mistaken for the dedicated Bsc BA without honours you need 300 ucas points above 40 % to achieve this.

Best wishes

By 'UCAS points' did you mean 'Open University credits'....?

They really are't the same thing at all!
You don't need any UCAS points to do an OU degree... thats kinda the who idea about the OU!

Edit
An example of an hons degree you can do with 240 UCAS points...
http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/mobile-and-communications-technology
(edited 8 years ago)
Guys this thread is from 9 years ago, why is it being discussed now? Lol
Original post by hoping4Astars
Guys this thread is from 9 years ago, why is it being discussed now? Lol

Christmas day. Lots of people on the dizzy water. Just humor them. Happy mince pie day ya'll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Many years ago when I was in my thirties I studied at Leeds but without any income. I therefore had to go out and work at night to get money to eat. I was doing pretty well until finals time when my night work prevented much revision. I passed everything except a chemistry paper so failed the whole degree. Devastated as I had invested all my life savings in the three year course. I sat the year later and passed well so graduated. I only have a B.Sc degree in general studies but I had a wonderful teaching career in grammar schools so all ended well. Putting those letters after my name was all that mattered. So to anyone who has failed and having to resit I say, don't worry, it will all be right at the end. Any degree is good whatever the classification.

Lynden Flint
Reply 38
Original post by LynKeith
Many years ago when I was in my thirties I studied at Leeds but without any income. I therefore had to go out and work at night to get money to eat. I was doing pretty well until finals time when my night work prevented much revision. I passed everything except a chemistry paper so failed the whole degree. Devastated as I had invested all my life savings in the three year course. I sat the year later and passed well so graduated. I only have a B.Sc degree in general studies but I had a wonderful teaching career in grammar schools so all ended well. Putting those letters after my name was all that mattered. So to anyone who has failed and having to resit I say, don't worry, it will all be right at the end. Any degree is good whatever the classification.

Lynden Flint

Ignoring the fact that this is a 10 year old thread for a minute... what a load of nonsense? This is such an outdated view - maybe 20 years ago... Loads of degrees are worthless these days and given every bugger has one the grades matter greatly.

These days many people are better off getting on apprenticeship schemes, which so many companies are starting to offer now. I'd MUCH rather have a job and be learning skills for 3 years rather than getting a 'poor' degree that doesn't make you stand out and leaves you with a tax for the next 20 years.
Original post by LynKeith

Lynden Flint

This really doesnt apply any more. Glad to see it worked out for you but that was in the past and things change.

Latest

Trending

Trending