The Student Room Group

So have I ruined my life?

Scroll to see replies

Are there any threads on student room which identify what a crazy system we have: predicted grades, so much stress on A level exams which are only one form of measurement?
Original post by BubbleFish1
I received my terrible AS results (CDEE) and have seriously begun to think about my future. I've always been bright, but easily distracted. During GCSEs, predictions were terrible, and when I got my head straight, I came out with 7A*/A's and 2B's.
During my AS' I became tied into something that took away all of my time, no time to study etc. The plan is to drop the C subject, retake the DEE and do them for A2. With the right attitude, I am more than confident that I can get 2A's from them with hard work.

I know I wont get any offers, but is there even any chance I'll get into a top Uni if a miracle happens and my A2 results meet requirements?

Was this like a distraction thing? If it was and due to the fact you say you're easily distracted, you may have ADHD. There's a form of it called hyper focus where you focus on one thing and then block out everything else. So I maybe have it and when I have work to do I have a tendency to hyper focus on playing the piano for ages. Dunno just a thought. If you think you might have it, there are ways it can be helped and stuff :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by TheWaffle
Was this like a distraction thing? If it was and due to the fact you say you're easily distracted, you may have ADHD. There's a form of it called hyper focus where you focus on one thing and then block out everything else. So I maybe have it and when I have work to do I have a tendency to hyper focus on playing the piano for ages. Dunno just a thought. If you think you might have it, there are ways it can be helped and stuff :smile:

Oh no, it's not what you think it is. I just didn't go into it in detail. Started a small business (admit it was a stupid time) and it started to become successful. devoted to much time to it which led to me not studying properly.
Original post by HSRMJ
You what???? Oxbridge is the only uni worth going to according to TSR!

I do worry about this tendency in TSR (Oxbridge is the centre of the Universe...and anything less is a shadow).

This is very bad ethos and cultural attitude for student room to have when it has the potential to be a brilliant resource for so many students...

in the last few weeks I seem to have become a post lady for too many potential students who feel too intimidated by this somewhat self-satisfied world view to ask the questions they need to on TSR.

What can we do to change things for the better?

I am surprised student room is not more concerned about this predisposition, if only from a business model point of view...
Oh no, it's not what you think it is. I just didn't go into it in detail. Started a small business (admit it was a stupid time) and it started to become successful. devoted to much time to it which led to me not studying properly.

Dear Bubble fish

What was your business? It sounds as tho you have better talents than Uni...

Just remember people who changed the world in profound ways who had major difficulties with education like Churchill and Einstein.
Original post by anonymousp
Are there any threads on student room which identify what a crazy system we have: predicted grades, so much stress on A level exams which are only one form of measurement?

It's that way because that's also the way universities work: tertiary education doesn't suit everyone, however clever they are. A levels have changed a lot in the last 20-ish years - from two years of slog followed by 3 -5 3 hour exams in every subject to the modular system, whereby you can retake, have coursework and all sorts of other things. Universities are following slowly - these days, a final grade on a module is usually comprised of several assessments, but you would be sorely disappointed if you expected the majority of universities to place emphasis on "different learning styles".
I do worry about this tendency in TSR (Oxbridge is the centre of the Universe...and anything less is a shadow).

This is very bad ethos and cultural attitude for student room to have when it has the potential to be a brilliant resource for so many students...

in the last few weeks I seem to have become a post lady for too many potential students who feel too intimidated by this somewhat self-satisfied world view to ask the questions they need to on TSR.

What can we do to change things for the better?

I am surprised student room is not more concerned about this predisposition, if only from a business model point of view...

Probably the most sensible post made here in a long time
Reply 27
Dear Bubble fish

What was your business? It sounds as tho you have better talents than Uni...

Just remember people who changed the world in profound ways who had major difficulties with education like Churchill and Einstein.

Wasn't anything substantial enough to say I have talents IMO.
Earnt about 6-7k starting from January and ended it in July.

Just digital things where I wanted to buy them, always wondered why they were so expensive and managed to make contacts and sell a large amount through some simple advertising. While a lot of people around me thought I had talent for it, I really don't think it required anything special.

Uni is still probably for me and this was just a one off where I took the opportunity for better or even for worse.
Sorry to be stupid...why did people around you think you had talent?

Earning that sort of money while in full time education pretty good

I had to look up cos I am so dumb ...I did this and still do not understand how you made so much money...what do you want to study at Uni?

Are resits viable?
Reply 29
Maybe talent wasn't the right word to use, but people were impressed at how quickly i created a small "business". Earning that sort of money is definitely really good, but I never managed my time correctly and devoted way too much to it.
I wanted to study software engiineering but after spending a year doing computing, i pretty much hate it, and am currently thinking about electronic engineering.

Yes, I will be resitting all of maths, physics and the one paper for product design. Getting my Maths and Product Design AS results up really won't be anythhing I can't do. They're both pretty easy subjects when I sit down and actually concentrate for them. Physics will take quite a lot of work.

Should I be quitting extra curricular activities to devote myself on catching up? I started learning the saxophone back in Year 7 when I had quite a bit of free time, and the plan was to take my grade 8 around christmas time. I don't think I can even practice enough to achieve a grade 8 distinction if I plan to resit most papers and right now, I think the best idea would be to quit.
Quitting would be a bit drastic - just postpone taking your grade 8 until next summer.
I received my terrible AS results (CDEE) and have seriously begun to think about my future. I've always been bright, but easily distracted. During GCSEs, predictions were terrible, and when I got my head straight, I came out with 7A*/A's and 2B's.
During my AS' I became tied into something that took away all of my time, no time to study etc. The plan is to drop the C subject, retake the DEE and do them for A2. With the right attitude, I am more than confident that I can get 2A's from them with hard work.

I know I wont get any offers, but is there even any chance I'll get into a top Uni if a miracle happens and my A2 results meet requirements?

Wow that's quite a fall from grace did you spaz out during exams? Don't declare grades and get high predictions work your arse off and get into a respectable university. You will be ok!
Original post by Hulkamaniac
Wow that's quite a fall from grace did you spaz out during exams? Don't declare grades and get high predictions work your arse off and get into a respectable university. You will be ok!

Not declaring grades is classed as fraud and will result in losing a place when the universities find out, regardless of what point you are at during the course.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Not declaring grades is classed as fraud and will result in losing a place when the universities find out, regardless of what point you are at during the course.

I thought you you didn't have to declare AS grades? Or have the rules changed?
I thought you you didn't have to declare AS grades? Or have the rules changed?

You have had to declare AS results for some years now. See the sticky at the top of this forum.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You have had to declare AS results for some years now. See the sticky at the top of this forum.

Cba I take your word for it.
Cba I take your word for it.

Thank you.
Reply 37

Didn't spaz out. But was stupidly unprepared for all my exams.
And yes, I've asked other students and teachers. I have to declare my results.
Reply 38
So my predictions are pretty much the same as my AS'. Teachers aren't predicting higher because of what they predicted my year for AS results, and it turned out to be an abomination.

Do I even have a chance to go through UCAS adjustment at this rate? I don't think any sort of uni would give me an offer with predictions like that....

Every year there are many places at top universities through clearing, even if you don't receive any offers throughout the year.

However, the likelihood of you turning DEE at AS into A's and B's at A2 seems small, when you'll also have to be dealing with AS retakes in the same year. Bearing in mind also that the A2 exams are harder and for the most part require a fundamental knowledge of the AS course.

I don't mean to seem discouraging but I've seen many people in the same position, and they just don't have the work ethic to pull this off considering they failed the first year.

I would recommend taking another year at sixth form to entirely resit your AS's, which will give you a much more realistic chance when you come to apply to uni next year. This will not affect your chances when applying to uni a year later.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending