The Student Room Group

Marriages: why are they so centred around women?

The dress, the food, the reception, these are but a few things that the future wife will get to chose at "her" wedding.

Why then, in today's West society, is a wedding so fully, and completely, centred around the woman?

I watched "Don't tell the Bride" and the woman was like "It's my wedding, not Liam's".

I thought it'd be their wedding?

Scroll to see replies

This is just part of the reason im never getting married.

i beleive marraliage is outdated\old fashioned and women get more out of it than men
Original post by Anonymous

I assume that you mean Weddings rather than Marriages in your title

Your post is very general - most of the weddings that I have attended have been about the couple not about the bride
The dress, the food, the reception, these are but a few things that the future wife will get to chose at "her" wedding.

Why then, in today's West society, is a wedding so fully, and completely, centred around the woman?

I watched "Don't tell the Bride" and the woman was like "It's my wedding, not Liam's".

She was talking about Liam the best man, he wasn't the groom
Reply 4
Original post by Sarao
She was talking about Liam the best man, he wasn't the groom

Not really on topic, but OMG wasn't he the worst best man ever?! At the start of the episode when she said she hated Liam I thought 'Oh here we go, another bride who's jealous of her fiance's best friend' but by the end I completely understood!
Little girls play house....boys play war. Girls dream of being the centre of attention being the bride. She loves flowers, she loves attention, fancy rings, she loves dresses.....it's pretty simple really. Being a guy you don't get it. I'm not speaking for all girls.

Personally weddings are huge black holes for money to be thrown into. It's best to spend your money on setting up housekeeping not walking down the isle to show off.
Original post by syrettd
Not really on topic, but OMG wasn't he the worst best man ever?! At the start of the episode when she said she hated Liam I thought 'Oh here we go, another bride who's jealous of her fiance's best friend' but by the end I completely understood!

YESSS! He was an a-hole!!! I thought the exact same and then when he starting acting that way towards the groom I was like yeah I can totally see why she hates him!
Reply 7
Original post by Sarao
YESSS! He was an a-hole!!! I thought the exact same and then when he starting acting that way towards the groom I was like yeah I can totally see why she hates him!

The groom made all those good decisions and then Liam finally decides to show up and suddenly he has to have Liam choose everything! And that stag do was such a dick move, it was the groom's night not his.
Because only girls give a **** about the wedding.

I hate weddings.

Well, in fairness, they do have to squeeze a baby/ babies out of their vagina. I give them kudos on that, so just let them have their fun....
"Happy wife, happy life"

That's why
Because we bear the children so we choose the wedding ☺️ But generally, girls think about their wedding from when they're growing up and guys generally (not always) don't, and when it gets to it generally the men don't really care so the woman has her fun with it😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexschmalex
"Happy wife, happy life"

That's why

My husband was told this weeks before our wedding.

Also I think the whole wedding thing is incredibly unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally, because women are more taught they have to get married.
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
Well, in fairness, they do have to squeeze a baby/ babies out of their vagina. I give them kudos on that, so just let them have their fun....

Yeah "fun" whilst they suck your wallet dry ...

I'm surprised at the initial statement. When you think of it as an institution, it heavily favors the man, not the woman. The 'giving away' moment...basically treats the woman as a possession. Generally, but not always, the woman gives up her surname to take the name of the man. In the past, she would have been expected to give up any job she had, for the role of a housewife, and would be expected to quickly become a mother. Hopefully, attitudes have change...but they change slowly.

Generally, the brides-to-be on DTTB tend to be like "it's my wedding" precisely because they don't have control over any aspect of their wedding.

Original post by x.lottiee.xx
Because we bear the children so we choose the wedding ☺️ But generally, girls think about their wedding from when they're growing up and guys generally (not always) don't, and when it gets to it generally the men don't really care so the woman has her fun with it

^Also. This.
I genuinely don't get it. One day if/when I get married, I want my future husband to have just as much input into the day as me... and for it to be fun, not pretentious/expensive/all about me.
Reply 17
Original post by carlaraptor
I genuinely don't get it. One day if/when I get married, I want my future husband to have just as much input into the day as me... and for it to be fun, not pretentious/expensive/all about me.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carlaraptor

Yep, this is exactly what we did. Most of the big decisions were made (and paid for!) jointly. I chose my dress and the bridesmaids' outfits, he picked his and the outfits for his best man/ushers. I chose a few little things he wasn't that interested in like flowers and ceremony music, but it was most definitely OUR day and not just about me.

I get the impression people making these threads haven't been to that many weddings/don't know that many young married couples, and are basing these threads on DTTB etc. They deliberately pick couples for that show who are going to make "good TV." We thought about doing it, but realised they would never be interested in us because I would just get on with my life and not spend hours crying about how my day will be ruined if he got it wrong, and he would just get on and sort out a pretty good day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
She was talking about the best man.... not the groom. The groom spent more money on the best-man than he should have i.e. buying him a £300 suit, but renting the bride's dress only at £600...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending