The Student Room Group

POLL: Do you believe that depression is a real illnes

Scroll to see replies

I'm content to adopt the view of the vast majority of highly trained medical practitioners and go with 'yes'. The use of brain imaging scans has actually proven beyond all doubt that depression is a real illness; of course that is not to say that there aren't some who knowingly/unknowingly say they have this illness when they do not.
Reply 21
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Yes, but the fact that it's easy to fake (and some people do fake it) has nothing to do with whether the actual illness exists or not.

It's also very easy to fake headache, and headache clearly exists.

I agree :smile:
Depression is an illness you get when the world poops on you... either that or your brain is just kinda broken..
My main experience with depression is that some of my friends have had it, it is 100% real and it destroys lives. It's also exceptionally difficult to cure, and one of my friends has turned from being very sweet to being manipulative, aggressive and hurtful and she's spent a year trying to make my life miserable - so much so that I've broken ties with her.
Original post by DiddyDec
What is the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think of illness as something will a pathological or biological root, whereas conditions and disorders are simply something that changes your state of mind.
Reply 25
Yes it is. Yes I have suffered with elements of it.
100% yes. Having lived with someone who had depression there is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that it's a real thing that affects people in awful ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Yes but too many people self-diagnose themselves with it when they don't have it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending