The Student Room Group

University Certificates - UCAS Points??

Ok basically i am doing 4 a levels at college but i also had an extension study last year which was a university certificate which is classed as level 1 university teaching.
We were the first students in the country to actually graduate whilst studying a levels. We attracted media attention which can be seen here -

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/education/edunews/display.var.872295.0.bright_young_things.php

http://www.george-monoux.ac.uk/news/news25_caps.htm

And therefore i just wanted to know wether the university certificate which is on its own worth 40 credits also qualifiable for UCAS points.

Any answers would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Eh, how did you graduate if you only got Level 1 certificate?
Reply 2
University Degrees Are 3/4 Year Studies. We studied for 1 year which is accredited by a certificate. it is worth 40 credits which is what you recieve in a university degree course after 1 year also. so basically seeing as we have already completed a year's study at university and have the qualification to show for it, will this improve our chances or give us an edge so to speak in getting that very competitive place in places such as Oxbridge/Queen Mary when we are pitted against people of the same qualifications as us but without previous university study experience?
Reply 3
No idea. But the 'degree' you studied doesn't seem very academic.
Reply 4
We didn't study a degree and wether or not it is academic is not the question.
Where in any of your couple of posts have you answered anything to do with the topic. If you do not have the capabilities or intelligence to answer a simple question and stay ontopic instead of drifting off into your own dream world then please persist from posting in any of my topics because you certainly are not helping anyone out especially yourself because it makes you look somewhat of a lowlife.
Reply 5
Oh my life, what is your problem? I'm trying to ascertain whether or not it would be beneficial, like you asked.

And how on earth do I look like a lowlife? I don't know what the course you took entailed, because all I've got to go on are those articles. I merely said it wasn't very academic, because it didn't seem so from the articles, and you wanted to know if it would help with your application in an academic sense.

Bottom line is - who knows? Ring whichever uni you want to go and ask them. Being as it appears you were the first lot to be awarded the certificate, then I'm not sure anyone on here can provide you with a concrete answer.
Reply 6
Fleece

:wtf?:

community leadership and neighbourhood renewal. :congrats:

that means they can... put rubbish in bins and tell others to put rubbish in bins? :confused:
Reply 7
It won't get you any UCAS points, because it's not something included in the UCAS tariff (see http://www.ucas.ac.uk/candq/tariff/).

What universities think of it will depend on the universities and what course you apply for.
Reply 8
http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:yb6-8KhR2uAJ:www.mdx.ac.uk/partners/docs/progspecs/hssc/sgmcclnr.pdf+community+leadership+middlesex+university&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=2

Read that and see wether it changes your assumption on what it is. You need to get out more Scot because if that narrow mind gets any narrower you'd be a line .

Oh and thanks for that nikki great help.
Theres a HUGE chip on the thread starters shoulder!!! look :eek:
magikal2006
http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:yb6-8KhR2uAJ:www.mdx.ac.uk/partners/docs/progspecs/hssc/sgmcclnr.pdf+community+leadership+middlesex+university&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=2

Read that and see wether it changes your assumption on what it is. You need to get out more Scot because if that narrow mind gets any narrower you'd be a line .

No offence, but I doubt anyone can be bothered to read that website. No one on here can tell you want universities will accept it, or wether it will give you a lead over other candidates, so email or ring admissions tutors.

And if you snap at people, they wont be willing to help, or give you serious answers.
Reply 11
"On completion of this programme the successful student will have knowledge and understanding of :
1. principals of active citizenship
2. principals of community leadership
3. principals of project management for neighbourhood renewal"

So, who are these mysterious principals of active citizenship?
arkbar
"On completion of this programme the successful student will have knowledge and understanding of :
1. principals of active citizenship
2. principals of community leadership
3. principals of project management for neighbourhood renewal"

So, who are these mysterious principals of active citizenship?

I was going to point out that it's entirely meaningless.

And no, Mr. Thread Starter, your thing isn't of any particular importance, nor will it get you very far.

Also, a year at uni is 120 credits, not 40.
Reply 13
Was gonna say it was 120 but then I'd just be showing myself as a low life again.
magikal2006
We didn't study a degree and wether or not it is academic is not the question.
Where in any of your couple of posts have you answered anything to do with the topic. If you do not have the capabilities or intelligence to answer a simple question and stay ontopic instead of drifting off into your own dream world then please persist from posting in any of my topics because you certainly are not helping anyone out especially yourself because it makes you look somewhat of a lowlife.

don't be so rude to fleece you silly child. she is at univerity and you are not. she was only trying to answer your question and if you continue with that attitude you will have problems in life.
Reply 15
What type of degree can you do with this? a BSc in Waffle?
Reply 16
Ask a geography graduate.
don't be so rude to fleece you silly child. she is at univerity and you are not. she was only trying to answer your question and if you continue with that attitude you will have problems in life.

WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING 2 WAS ANSWERING ANY OF MY QUESTIONS EXEPT FOR THE PART WHERE SHE CLAIMED SHE HAD NO IDEA.

Eh, how did you graduate if you only got Level 1 certificate?

The point of this topic was not to argue wether or not it will take me anywhere. I am doing 4 a levels aswell in which i'm predicted 4 a's but thats beside the point. What i want to know is:

will this improve our chances or give us an edge so to speak in getting that very competitive place in places such as Oxbridge/Queen Mary when we are pitted against people of the same qualifications as us but without previous university study experience?

AND:

wanted to know wether the university certificate which is on its own worth 40 credits also qualifiable for UCAS points.

And i never snap out, was just getting a little annoyed that fleece was not answering my question and just wanted to dispute the fact i "graduated" and wanted to state her opinion about it not being "academic" which i already know but it is more than most people infact anyone has ever done in college before so i was just curious and had to ask the above questions.

But it seems the jealousy and envy in some people got a bit too much.
That was after her response you clown
Mahikal sounds like an absolute cock-mouth.

Magikal, you said yourself that you were the first people to do this thing - so unless you're all expecting us to have been so in awe of it we've been following the story religiously, how do you expect us to know anything (and indeed, more than you do) about it, what it entails and what it means for your application? The only conceivable way any of us could know is if:

1) someone had been on it too (which, given you haven't got a clue, makes me assume that wouldn't help them with the answer anyway).
2) they did some research on the internet (which you, too, can do).

So I don't know what you're hoping to achieve here, even if people DID stay on topic.

This is slightly off topic, but why did you do this course? Presumably you don't want to study it full time, else you wouldn't have done a one year course. You clearly didn't do it because you thought it would enhance your application to other universities because a year is a long time to waste when you clearly don't have a clue about whether this is the case or not (and thought not to ask during the duration of the course). So why did you? Fun?

Sod off you prick.

Latest

Trending

Trending