The Student Room Group

How to avoid flatmate drinking games?

I'm not a drinker. Not religious reasons, I just don't like it, but I don't have a problem with people who do drink.

I'm worried that my flatmates may have drinking games and how can I opt out of it without causing a fuss and still stay sociably involved with them?

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UnknownGuy
I'm not a drinker. Not religious reasons, I just don't like it, but I don't have a problem with people who do drink.

I'm worried that my flatmates may have drinking games and how can I opt out of it without causing a fuss and still stay sociably involved with them?

Cheers.

I'm not a drinker either so I'm just going to say I will join in just with coca-cola/ pepsi. I doubt they will mind or care. :smile: I suggest you still sit with them and cheer them on and such just to show your face per say, rather than isolate yourself from them.
"I'm sorry, I don't drink". Simple yet effective. You're making way too big a deal of this- even if your flatmates have drinking games, I doubt they'd socially exclude you just because you didn't join in. It's not like they'll be constantly having drinking games...
Alternatively feel free to join in with a non-alcoholic beverage of your choice. Granted taking shots of cranberry juice won't make you the coolest person in the flat, but that way you'd still be able to join in a little.
Seriously? Just don't drink. No one's going to force you, just drink non-alcoholic drinks.
get a bottle of water and use that instead. or whatever you like drinking
Reply 5
Just say ''Oh sorry, I don't drink'', and sit there getting involved with a non-alcoholic drink or just keep track of things and be the game master. Isn't that much of an issue, most people won't be bothered.
Have flat mate fist fights instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You say no.

It sounds so simple and so easy...

Probably because it is.
Substitute it with milk? At least then it has some form of effect after a while :wink:

I don't drink either, and am dreading the conversations when i arrive at uni regarding drinking/clubbing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
You can always substitute alcohol for something non-alcoholic like pepsi etc :smile:. They most probably won't care!

If you've never drunk before it might be worth giving it a go one night to see how you feel.
You strategically replace all of their alcohol with 'Cluedo' cards and then proudly declare, "So how about some thinking games?" Ironically, your corpse will be discovered by Professor Plum in the Social Sciences library later that evening.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nobody will care. Say no or have soft drinks instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers.

I don't drink alcohol too.... but what I'm gonna do is buy some apple juice so at least it looks a little bit like wine- especially if you drink apple juice from a wine glass If you are offered a drink- there is a trick to tip the drink down the toilet or sink when the person ain't looking. Or the trick to tell people that you are on water for the rest of the night. As for games- you could perhaps ask your flat mates to play other games which won't involve drinks.... or you could distract them.

Cheers.

Tell them you don't drink? Simplez.
Why did you need to make a thread for this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
If someone gives you a drink it's rude to just tip it away like someone above said, you can politely decline and tell them you won't drink - they really won't care! Not to mention that there may be others there who aren't drinking. So many people have great social lives at uni without drinking, it really shouldn't be a problem.

I drink and I'm COMPLETELY fine with people who don't want to drink. It's just rude forcing someone to drink if they don't want to and 99% of human beings will respect this.
Original post by Yeah dude
Have flat mate fist fights instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, fisting is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Hitashami
Yup, fisting is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may wish to rewrite this comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sometimes saying no is the easiest way to go. I don't drink and will never get peer pressured into doing something I feel uncomfortable doing.
You don't have to avoid, just a straight up 'I don't drink' will do it. I don't really like drinking so I just said I didn't, they went 'Fair enough' and left it at that. Some occasionally asked why and just told them I don't like it. No one had a problem with it.

You can still join in without drinking, Ring of Fire for example is very funny to watch when you're sober. Beer pong, I found someone else usually volunteers to drink for you so you don't have to. That's pretty much the only games my flatmates ever played last year.
Don't be a pussy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending