The Student Room Group

Am I being too unreasonable/needy?

Me and my boyfriend have been together 9ish months and have been in an LDR for 3. I believe communication is key to keeping a relationship going, but my boyfriend is terrible at it. Today for example (a Sunday, when I know he's not particularly busy) I text him in the morning, then a bit later asking how he was... He didn't text back song left it a couple of hours then I gave him a ring, which he didn't pick up. I got a text from him saying he'd call me later, but he didn't. I haven't heard anything since then. This is a pretty common occurrence, even when he does call he always has to go after about 10 minutes. I know he's stressed with work problems recently but surely a quick text message doesn't exactly take up time. Whenever I bring it up he just said I have to understand he is really busy... But busy all day on a Sunday? Really?

Plus when I'm with him he is constantly on his phone, I don't think we've ever gone out for a meal or any date without him having to take a call. Sometimes we'll be watching a film together and I look over and he is just on his phone, not watching the film! So I know it's not because he hadn't seen the messages.
Reply 1
I meant "so I" not "song" stupid autocorrect!!
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
Well I'm a guy myself. Let me tell you, guys take twice as much stress, than required. We just make a simple thing too stressful. So it might just be that he's stressed due to work.
Communication is key, I agree. Just sit him down and have a chat about it, see what he says. It would sort it out instead of giving you weird ideas (everyone gets them). So just have a chat with him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
And it's natural to feel this way. Just have a chat :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by numanali
Well I'm a guy myself. Let me tell you, guys take twice as much stress, than required. We just make a simple thing too stressful. So it might just be that he's stressed due to work.
Communication is key, I agree. Just sit him down and have a chat about it, see what he says. It would sort it out instead of giving you weird ideas (everyone gets them). So just have a chat with him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Complete opposite for me. Don't get stressed at all and take everything easy.
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my boyfriend have been together 9ish months and have been in an LDR for 3. I believe communication is key to keeping a relationship going, but my boyfriend is terrible at it. Today for example (a Sunday, when I know he's not particularly busy) I text him in the morning, then a bit later asking how he was... He didn't text back song left it a couple of hours then I gave him a ring, which he didn't pick up. I got a text from him saying he'd call me later, but he didn't. I haven't heard anything since then. This is a pretty common occurrence, even when he does call he always has to go after about 10 minutes. I know he's stressed with work problems recently but surely a quick text message doesn't exactly take up time. Whenever I bring it up he just said I have to understand he is really busy... But busy all day on a Sunday? Really?

Plus when I'm with him he is constantly on his phone, I don't think we've ever gone out for a meal or any date without him having to take a call. Sometimes we'll be watching a film together and I look over and he is just on his phone, not watching the film! So I know it's not because he hadn't seen the messages.

Is he taking work related calls or just chatting with friends, looking at cat pictures etc?
Reply 7
Original post by ChickenMadness
Is he taking work related calls or just chatting with friends, looking at cat pictures etc?

Usually work related, checking emails etc
Original post by Anonymous
Usually work related, checking emails etc

lol he probably is busy all the time then.
Reply 9
It's the curse of the smartphone era. But regarding the poor communication with you, I would lay it on the line that things need to change.
be straight and clear. tell him to sort it out, make some couple time and stick to it or that's it. you haven't invested enough time for me to advise you to give it a go and keep at it, especially long distance, unless both parties realise that LDR is difficult enough without not understanding how much more important communication is in that situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending