The Student Room Group

Will a police caution stop me from doing a PGCE/becoming a teacher?

In 2010 when I was 18 I got a police caution for shoplifting. I was depressed, lonely and I stole some makeup. I was fined about £80 and that was it. It was the most stupid mistake I've ever made, I regret it everyday and I've never told another soul.
I know it will show up on a CRB check, but will it hinder my chances at becoming a secondary school teacher?
Reply 1
It is now called a DBS check.

What you are referring to comes under 'filtering'. Have a read of this little lot.

Nacro have some advice on this too: link.

But do read up on how to disclose such things. So many people now have things appearing on the disclosure certificate that it is becoming common to discuss them at interview.

Disclosing criminal records: a Nacro guide

03 Jun 2014 This guide is for adult job seekers who are ready and able to work, and who need to disclose their criminal record. It includes information about the law affecting job-seekers and advice on when and how to disclose criminal record information to a prospective employer.
Disclosing criminal records - A Nacro guide (301 KB)

Explaining "I was 18, I was stupid, I was so ashamed by the caution I would never do anything like that again. What I have learned from the experience is empathy / compassion / insight" or whatever it was you learned from the experience.

Edit: No, I don't think it should prevent you from becoming a secondary school teacher.
(edited 9 years ago)
This will be filtered off 6 years after the caution was given. After that it is not disclosable even on enhanced certificates.theoretically it can be disclosed as enhanced disclosure, but this is unlikely and is appealable.even after 6 years. It is disclosable if you apply to work with the police and filtering off does not apply outside this country, so that if you apply for a visa or a job abroad. It is disclosable.

It is possible to apply for cautions to be removed, but it is in the discretion of the chief Constable in the area you what were given it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending