The Student Room Group

Unconditional Offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Cheers! And congrats on your offer as well :biggrin:
Original post by cambo211
A few universities have started doing it for students with good grades IF the student makes the university their firm choice.

It is a very small number of uni's and a small number of applicants but it isn't unheard of.

Edit: Birminghams Unconditional Offer Scheme 2015

Actually, it is not unusual in the US where top students are given the equivalent of unconditional offers if they confirm their acceptance by a specified deadline, usually before the exams. Whilst it seems strange to give out unconditional offers even before the candidate has even sat for the exams, it is actually not as silly as it seems.

The Admissions Tutor's ability to reliably assess an applicant's ability to qualify for and to successfully complete a university course is not that difficult, maybe not for all applicants but, at the very least, for some top applicants. Past GCSE and AS results are reliable indications of future academic capabilities and performance. For many high achievers they are unlikely to slack off because many are self motivated and are unlikely to throw away their good track record. However, unconditional offers for such people allow them to study and sit for the exams with less pressure, knowing they have already secured their places at the university they want to study in. It may be a good admissions approach operating in parallel as it also helps universities reduce their uncertainties in relation to acceptances too. With further tweaking, this may become the norm for certain universities.
I wanted to ask about my likelihood of getting an unconditional. I've already completed two of my a levels and managed to secure A*A and I'm predicted an A this year in my third subject. What are my chances of getting an unconditional? I'm applying to Kings, QMUL, SOAS and Birmingham.
Original post by alevels.
I wanted to ask about my likelihood of getting an unconditional. I've already completed two of my a levels and managed to secure A*A and I'm predicted an A this year in my third subject. What are my chances of getting an unconditional? I'm applying to Kings, QMUL, SOAS and Birmingham.

QMUL and Birmingham already gives out unconditional to obviously will-qualify applicants.
Original post by GandalfWhite
QMUL and Birmingham already gives out unconditional to obviously will-qualify applicants.

I genuinely didn't know that! I've been so worried aha because I did my a levels over three years which sucks. I didn't know Queen Mary gave out unconditionals - I guess you learn something new everyday :smile: thank you!
Reply 25
I got an uncocditional offer from Birmingham last year based on my predicted A*A*A A level grades (I achieved AAA in my AS levels).
i firmed it after being rejected from Oxford. I must admit, it was great to not have the pressure with my final exams, but I still worked hard and achieved A* AB just not as hard as I could have.
other Uni's have seen the success that Birmingham and Leicester have had with their unconditional schemes and have started to join them.
Nottingham offer unconditionals for certain undersubscribed courses and more and more are set to this year.
good luck with your applications.
I am loving being at Birmingham so far and certainly don't regret choosing it over Nottingham, Leeds and Liverpool.
Reply 26
Original post by Dan205
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows how likely it is to get an unconditional offer based purely on predicted grades,and which unis are more likely to offer it? I've heard Birmingham does this but I'm not sure what kind of predicted grades would be needed for this...
Cheers :smile:

Hey there, I received an unconditional offer from Birmingham a week after I sent off my application, I got AABB at AS but am predicted A*A*A at A2, and my personal statement took a lot of work! Birmingham is one of the most likely universities to hand out unconditional offers with around 10% of applicants getting one, however this is only if the applicant firms Birmingham. So I can tell you that they do happen even if you haven't done your A2's yet, so go for it! Good luck :smile:
I got an unconditional for Salford last year... As did quite a lot of people I know here?

Don't rely on getting an unconditional is all I have to say. They're unlikely and rare usually. Just do the best you can and aim high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I know unconditionals are rare, but as I've had put in my UCAS, forcast A*AAB, and one of the course I'm applying for is BBB, could that be unconditional?
Original post by Sam.B57
I know unconditionals are rare, but as I've had put in my UCAS, forcast A*AAB, and one of the course I'm applying for is BBB, could that be unconditional?

No. I'm predicted 3 A*s and got a place on an AAB course , still conditional.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
No. I'm predicted 3 A*s and got a place on an AAB course , still conditional.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the university. Not many universities give unconditional offers prior to exams. Unconditional offers does not mean one does not need to sit for the exams any longer. Actually I suspect the university has already profiled such candidates and know they will complete their exams and to the best of their abilities.

Where have you applied to?
It depends on the university. Not many universities give unconditional offers prior to exams. Unconditional offers does not mean one does not need to sit for the exams any longer. Actually I suspect the university has already profiled such candidates and know they will complete their exams and to the best of their abilities.

Where have you applied to?

Yes I know all of this thats why I replied to the other person saying that.
Unconditional offers are rarely given to people that will be waiting on results, and I think that unconditional offers should only be given to post A level candidates.
Cambridge, Glasgow, Bristol, Manchester and Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I know all of this thats why I replied to the other person saying that.
Unconditional offers are rarely given to people that will be waiting on results, and I think that unconditional offers should only be given to post A level candidates.
Cambridge, Glasgow, Bristol, Manchester and Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think any of those give unconditional offers. Edinburgh does give practically an unconditional offer of BBB to some.
Reply 33
Don't think any of those give unconditional offers. Edinburgh does give practically an unconditional offer of BBB to some.

The course that's offering me BBB is Herriot Watts, in Edinburgh for engineering
Original post by Sam.B57
The course that's offering me BBB is Herriot Watts, in Edinburgh for engineering

Happy?

Yes I know haha is everybody missing my point ?!?
Unconditional offers are 9/10 for people who have completed A levels - I WASN'T EXPECTING ANY UNCONDITIONAL OFFERS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I know haha is everybody missing my point ?!?
Unconditional offers are 9/10 for people who have completed A levels - I WASN'T EXPECTING ANY UNCONDITIONAL OFFERS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. Apologies if I was implying that. Twas just a comment. In any case the few universities known to give unconditionals do not only give to those who already have results, as it is already understood that if you have results and they meet the requirements the offer will have to be unconditional.
Reply 37
i got an unconditional from leicester, for an ABB course. my predictions are AAA
Leciester are giving out unconditionals which remain so regardless of whether you put them as a firm or insurance for people who are predicted 3 As and above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending