The Student Room Group

Which one should I ask for a reference?

I'm currently in the process of applying for a few PhD programmes in English Literature and I've decided to ask a couple of lecturers from my undergraduate university for references as I'm at a new university studying my Masters and no one really knows me yet.

My first reference is a lecturer who (very broadly) relates to my chosen topic. But I'm stuck between two people for the second reference.

Choice A is a lecturer who taught me for both semesters of my third year. I did very well in one of his modules in particular but neither of them relate to my topic. His seminars were also like three hour lectures rather than class discussions so I'm not even sure he'll remember who I am if I contact him!

Choice B is my dissertation supervisor. However, the catch is that I did a creative writing rather than an academic dissertation so I'm not sure that he's an appropriate choice :/
Is your first reference JUST a lecturer or does he know you better than just a student in his class? If the former, you are much better off getting a GOOD reference from someone who knows you (e.g choice B) rather than a reference from someone relevant but doesn't really know you, in my opinion.
If you juggle the deadlines for the PhD applications against the times when you will get your first pieces of written work marked, is there any leeway for waiting until one of your Masters supervisors could write a reference?

It doesn't hurt to (where possible) have a reference that refers to your ability at postgrad level.
Reply 3
Original post by Jantaculum
If you juggle the deadlines for the PhD applications against the times when you will get your first pieces of written work marked, is there any leeway for waiting until one of your Masters supervisors could write a reference?

It doesn't hurt to (where possible) have a reference that refers to your ability at postgrad level.

I have a formative essay due in a few weeks and apparently we get feedback on them some time before the end of term. However, I'm not sure who marks them :/ I have been allocated a sort of general supervisor; I don't think I'm supposed to see them too regularly but I guess I could maybe give them a sample of written work? Unfortunately, the modules I'm doing this semester don't have regular tutors or else I just would have waited a few weeks and asked them.
Original post by wordjunkie
I have a formative essay due in a few weeks and apparently we get feedback on them some time before the end of term. However, I'm not sure who marks them :/ I have been allocated a sort of general supervisor; I don't think I'm supposed to see them too regularly but I guess I could maybe give them a sample of written work? Unfortunately, the modules I'm doing this semester don't have regular tutors or else I just would have waited a few weeks and asked them.

If you have time you should make contact with this person - there's nothing stopping you from just emailing them to ask for a meeting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending