The Student Room Group

The time has come for me to find a job, but...

part of me wants to go into further study!

PreambleI suppose I could have titled this 'I don't know what I want to do' as this is quite true. This is actually kind of 2 topics that I have been thinking about a lot, but I haven't been able to separate them cleanly into 2 threads. But I'll try to keep things neat. :tongue:

Mech Eng graduand, and at the moment I have no internships under my belt! I have applied for some in the past, but various things have happened in previous summers which would have made it difficult to complete any internships :redface:

I had been quite interested in continuing with further study since my third year research project which I enjoyed so much, definitely much more so than my final year project; I'd even got as far as speaking to my favourite lecturer about possible projects I could do with them as well as doctoral programmes, but after a horrific final year I was quite abruptly put off the idea, so I have had to reconsider the scary world of work!

ThoughtsI love the idea of being able to make an original contribution to my favourite field (robotics) :love: (which I think is an important distinction to make), and having struggled through various obstacles during my 3rd year project I think I would be fairly well-equipped for the struggles of a PhD, but I have some reservations.

One problem I have is that I do not know enough about all the facets of the field to choose one that I would like to learn more about. For example, humanoid robotics is pretty cool, but what exactly do I like about it? Couldn't tell you!

And software is such a big part of robotics, how much of an impact would I be able to make coming from a mech eng background?

I'd prefer a doctoral programme to just a normal PhD; my university has started a new one this year which looks perfect, and could very well be the best place for me to pursue further study, but I think that my marks this year might work against me, as there will undoubtedly be seemingly better candidates applying. I have spent some time looking at PhDs elsewhere but there has been nothing quite like this CDT.

But what would I do afterwards? At this point a life in academia does not appeal to me; I certainly cannot see myself as a lecturer, or churning out papers, though I could get used to presenting my findings at conferences. :awesome:

I don't know what other options I would have after a PhD, but surely after spending another 4 years out of industry with no additional experience, it would make me look even worse as a potential employee? My CV's already so blank as it is :dong:

ThoughtsMy current lack of experience is doubly painful; it certainly will not instil confidence in potential employers when I come to apply for jobs, and I have absolutely no idea what work in the 'real world' :nothing: is like, or how I would deal with all the things involved.

The solution to this is obvious, I need to get some experience. But should I be applying for internships? Or proper positions/graduate schemes? :beard:

I am certain that I did not apply for enough internships in previous years, at the time I was similarly unsure about which areas I could see myself working in and thus selecting groups of companies to apply to.

As I have mentioned above, robotics is my favourite field (I will include control because it is related but not the same and I also love it). Ergo I think a job in this area would be best for me, but in this country a lot of the interesting robotics development seems to come out of research rather than industry, unlike places like America, which means I am sort of restricted to either applying to small companies here, or moving abroad, which I am not ready to do yet.

On the other hand, I don't want to restrict the pool of jobs that I would be applying for! For example, there was one O&G company I was really interested in last year and I'd probably have really enjoyed working there.

I like diagnosing things, and I also like being involved throughout the whole process of identifying and characterising a 'problem', coming up with possible solutions (I'd say this is one of my strengths) and researching options, then working on one until the job is done, so I have a feeling my skills may be useful elsewhere in engineering (outside of robotics) or in other industries entirely.

Finally, isn't it possible that I may be able to (help) make an original contribution to the state of the art within a company? I'm almost certain those guys at SpaceX are doing things that haven't been done before. :tongue:

DoesThank you so much if you've managed to get this far, I think this might be my longest post ever :pain:

It's pretty clear that my biggest problem at the moment is uncertainty, I don't know what jobs I would like enough to be able to gloss over the bits that I don't like. I feel that I don't know enough to make any sort of decision or simplify things for myself; I have no idea where to start!

I've run out of steam now, but I am very much in need of advice :puppyeyes:

Thanks,
+-
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
What I read was "I want to do a PhD" over and over and over:
Original post by + polarity -
I had been quite interested in continuing with further study since my third year research project which I enjoyed so much

I love the idea of being able to make an original contribution to my favourite field (robotics)

I would be fairly well-equipped for the struggles of a PhD

I'd prefer a doctoral programme to just a normal PhD; my university has started a new one this year which looks perfect, and could very well be the best place for me to pursue further study

in this country a lot of the interesting robotics development seems to come out of research rather than industry

I like diagnosing things, and I also like being involved throughout the whole process of identifying and characterising a 'problem', coming up with possible solutions (I'd say this is one of my strengths) and researching options, then working on one until the job is done

It seems to me your last year shook your confidence a bit, that's all.

You are trying to choose between PhD and the unknown job market so that makes it hard to weigh the pros and cons: you know little about the job side.

Well, I'm pretty damn sure a PhD is going to make a hell of a positive contribution to your job applications in a bleeding edge field like robotics. When applying for jobs, you'll be up against people with a PhD - bear that in mind.

As for an internship - unpaid work? I thought slavery was abolished some time ago.
Reply 2
Anyway, have a perusal through this list for the current state of the job market for robotics + PhD: http://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=Robotics+phd&l=

You have to apply for all of the above. The competition is tough in all those areas, and you don't really have a choice to make until you have more than one offer in your hand.

Feel free to post up a CV in the CV Help thread and I might be able to give some more specific advice.
Thanks both of you!
Original post by Simes
What I read was "I want to do a PhD" over and over and over:

It seems to me your last year shook your confidence a bit, that's all.

You are trying to choose between PhD and the unknown job market so that makes it hard to weigh the pros and cons: you know little about the job side.

Well, I'm pretty damn sure a PhD is going to make a hell of a positive contribution to your job applications in a bleeding edge field like robotics. When applying for jobs, you'll be up against people with a PhD - bear that in mind.

As for an internship - unpaid work? I thought slavery was abolished some time ago.

:colondollar: Final year was the worst; it definitely shook my confidence in my abilities. I think my final year marks might have an impact on the funding that would be available to me too :frown:

Quite a few internships in engineering are paid, pro rata :tongue:

Anyway, have a perusal through this list for the current state of the job market for robotics + PhD: http://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=Robotics+phd&l=

This was actually really encouraging; I looked into employment after an EngD (a professional doctorate) last year but I couldn't find any EngDs closely related to robotics so I gave up haha

Original post by threeportdrift
You have to apply for all of the above. The competition is tough in all those areas, and you don't really have a choice to make until you have more than one offer in your hand.

Feel free to post up a CV in the CV Help thread and I might be able to give some more specific advice.

Makes sense, as does your post here, thank you :biggrin:

I honestly don't think I have added anything to my CV since the last time I posted in CV Help (apart from my degree), which is awful! Would you advise I look for something short-term to do while I'm applying for internships/jobs/PhDs?
Would you advise I look for something short-term to do while I'm applying for internships/jobs/PhDs?

I'm a big believer in taking any opportunity to see something new, you never know what further opportunities will lead from it. So first of all, if you are still in your University city, then email as many of your staff as you possible and use the Uni jobs website to see if there is anything you can do within the University, because that will keep you on hand for lab/research jobs that may come up - if you can keep your face in view a bit. Next best, if you are living in any University town, try and do the same. Keeping a Uni email address and access to their websites, public lectures, meeting and eating places etc is great for networking of you are trying to get into academia/post-grad studies.

If you have strong Excel skills, the Planning team might have work for you. Depending on their database etc the Development Office might have opportunities for geeky bits, or even just office admin, helping event management, envelope stuffing etc. Admissions is also often looking for people with data handling skills. The Uni won't care that you aren't using grad skills if you apply for a postgrad course and it will make you a better academic if you understand some of the University professional services processes!
A PhD in engineering isn't likely to be as competitive as PhDs in many other fields, because a lot of "top" students want to move into industry after completion of their degrees as opposed to continuing with their studies. So don't write yourself off for the PhD on account of having a somewhat bad year. If you performed well in the relevant modules, and are known to the staff who run the doctorate programme that you fancy, then give it a shot and apply.

After your PhD, you'll be eligible for specific, usually more technical positions, industry. I think most of the FE analysts at my work have PhDs, for example. You can also apply for the usual positions, even if your PhD won't confer an advantage. Having a PhD isn't career limiting... it's just that it's not the best option if what you know you want to do doesn't require it. But if you're interested in a field where much of the work seems to come from academia, then a PhD could turn out to be quite useful.

In terms of jobs, once you graduate you should be applying for graduate/entry level/junior positions. You certainly don't need an internship to get a job, although it does help with the more competitive ones. There are probably a lot more jobs than internships each year, so lots of people must therefore be able to get jobs without internships. You have nothing to lose by applying to jobs that interest you, so go for it.
Original post by threeportdrift
I'm a big believer in taking any opportunity to see something new, you never know what further opportunities will lead from it. So first of all, if you are still in your University city, then email as many of your staff as you possible and use the Uni jobs website to see if there is anything you can do within the University, because that will keep you on hand for lab/research jobs that may come up - if you can keep your face in view a bit. Next best, if you are living in any University town, try and do the same. Keeping a Uni email address and access to their websites, public lectures, meeting and eating places etc is great for networking of you are trying to get into academia/post-grad studies.

If you have strong Excel skills, the Planning team might have work for you. Depending on their database etc the Development Office might have opportunities for geeky bits, or even just office admin, helping event management, envelope stuffing etc. Admissions is also often looking for people with data handling skills. The Uni won't care that you aren't using grad skills if you apply for a postgrad course and it will make you a better academic if you understand some of the University professional services processes!

Thanks, you've given me lots of ideas!

Original post by Smack
A PhD in engineering isn't likely to be as competitive as PhDs in many other fields, because a lot of "top" students want to move into industry after completion of their degrees as opposed to continuing with their studies. So don't write yourself off for the PhD on account of having a somewhat bad year. If you performed well in the relevant modules, and are known to the staff who run the doctorate programme that you fancy, then give it a shot and apply.

After your PhD, you'll be eligible for specific, usually more technical positions, industry. I think most of the FE analysts at my work have PhDs, for example. You can also apply for the usual positions, even if your PhD won't confer an advantage. Having a PhD isn't career limiting... it's just that it's not the best option if what you know you want to do doesn't require it. But if you're interested in a field where much of the work seems to come from academia, then a PhD could turn out to be quite useful.

In terms of jobs, once you graduate you should be applying for graduate/entry level/junior positions. You certainly don't need an internship to get a job, although it does help with the more competitive ones. There are probably a lot more jobs than internships each year, so lots of people must therefore be able to get jobs without internships. You have nothing to lose by applying to jobs that interest you, so go for it.

Brilliant! PRSOM :tongue:
Reply 8
Thanks, you've given me lots of ideas!

Brilliant! PRSOM :tongue:

Did you end up doing the PHD?
Original post by sucess
Did you end up doing the PHD?

How did you find this thread?! :K:

But to answer your question, no :sad:

I applied for a few last year, got to interview for one but I was a complete mess :facepalm2:

Recently (in the last month) my desire to even do a PhD has waned. I still think it would be perfect for me (that is, I think I'd function best in an academic environment, where I can devote myself to one thing for years :tongue:), but it seems the market doesn't value a PhD as much (cf. this article :wink2:), and I'd just hate to come out of a project after 3/4 years and be in essentially the same situation I'm in now!
Reply 10
How did you find this thread?! :K:

But to answer your question, no :sad:

I applied for a few last year, got to interview for one but I was a complete mess :facepalm2:

Recently (in the last month) my desire to even do a PhD has waned. I still think it would be perfect for me (that is, I think I'd function best in an academic environment, where I can devote myself to one thing for years :tongue:), but it seems the market doesn't value a PhD as much (cf. this article :wink2:), and I'd just hate to come out of a project after 3/4 years and be in essentially the same situation I'm in now!

I was searching for some info on PHDs and found this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending