The Student Room Group

Unsure of what to do.

I recently applied to universities to study ancient history/classical civilisation. I graduated high school in 2005, without an AP's (none offered then), and a lousy SAT score. I've studied for an associates degree, but have not completed it. Therefore, I've been rejected from one uni, and Manchester is saying my HS diploma doesn't count. I don't exactly know where to go from here. I'm looking into international foundation degrees, but even those wants SAT II's. Can anyone offer any advice? I'm feeling pretty bad about all of this.
Try Leeds foundation program- Scores of at least 600 in each of the three SATI/SATR elements plus either scores of at least 550 in relevant subject-specific SATII/SATS qualifications orscores of at least 3 in relevant subject-specific AP (Advanced Placement test) qualifications or a score of at least 25 in the ACT (American College Test).

Try to stay positive. Something good will come through. There's always clearing and extra :smile:
Original post by halamadrid777
Try Leeds foundation program- Scores of at least 600 in each of the three SATI/SATR elements plus either scores of at least 550 in relevant subject-specific SATII/SATS qualifications orscores of at least 3 in relevant subject-specific AP (Advanced Placement test) qualifications or a score of at least 25 in the ACT (American College Test).

Try to stay positive. Something good will come through. There's always clearing and extra :smile:

That's the problem. I never took the SAT II and my school didn't offer AP's. I'm still waiting to hear back from Manchester about qualifications, and I'm making a list of foundation courses. Durham has an integrated one with ancient history, but I can't change my choices, so I'm hoping they'll be in extra if nothing else works out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you include your competed modules/credits for your associates degree in your application?

Usually this would be considered a suitable background (even if you didn't complete it).

If nothing else contact the universities that have replied and ask what they recommend you do. They may be able to advise a course of study that you can complete this year so make a conditional offer for that test/qualification.
Original post by PQ
Did you include your competed modules/credits for your associates degree in your application?

Usually this would be considered a suitable background (even if you didn't complete it).

If nothing else contact the universities that have replied and ask what they recommend you do. They may be able to advise a course of study that you can complete this year so make a conditional offer for that test/qualification.

UCAS told me not to include anything that wasn't an official qualification. I did ask manchester for suggestions and I contacted Warwick as well. I'll have to see what they say. I suppose a foundation year wouldn't be the end of the world. Most of the universities I'm interested in accept them, so I could actually visit the campuses before making any final decisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps I can send over a copy of my transcripts.
If you don't get in anywhere, you still have options besides foundation years.

You could self-study A levels. Are there any exam centres near you? I know there are some in Virginia, is that close enough? There is a British School in Charlotte, they don't do A levels but you could ask them whether you could sit your exams there as a private candidate.

You could study online with the Open University and use your OU credits to apply to brick universities (although you should check to see which unis accept OU credits, not all do).

You could study with the University of London's international programme. There are three exam centres in North Carolina (Fayetteville, Jamestown and Bismark). Unfortunately they only offer a foundation programme in the social sciences and none of their CertHEs are in Classics. Theoretically, you could sign up for the BA in history and apply to universities after you've completed the level one modules.

I don't know anything about APs or SATs, but surely there is somewhere where you could take them now?
Original post by Samual
If you don't get in anywhere, you still have options besides foundation years.

You could self-study A levels. Are there any exam centres near you? I know there are some in Virginia, is that close enough? There is a British School in Charlotte, they don't do A levels but you could ask them whether you could sit your exams there as a private candidate.

You could study online with the Open University and use your OU credits to apply to brick universities (although you should check to see which unis accept OU credits, not all do).

You could study with the University of London's international programme. There are three exam centres in North Carolina (Fayetteville, Jamestown and Bismark). Unfortunately they only offer a foundation programme in the social sciences and none of their CertHEs are in Classics. Theoretically, you could sign up for the BA in history and apply to universities after you've completed the level one modules.

I don't know anything about APs or SATs, but surely there is somewhere where you could take them now?

I've been out of high school for over nine years. AP's and SAT's are out. I'd honestly prefer something that allows me to study in the UK. Otherwise I'll be stuck here and my dead end job forever. The OU is out too, unfortunately. The offer a certificate in humanities, but as an American I'm not eligible. I will explore what you've suggested though. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Coffeetime
I've been out of high school for over nine years. AP's and SAT's are out. I'd honestly prefer something that allows me to study in the UK. Otherwise I'll be stuck here and my dead end job forever. The OU is out too, unfortunately. The offer a certificate in humanities, but as an American I'm not eligible. I will explore what you've suggested though. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why?
The OU is out too, unfortunately. The offer a certificate in humanities, but as an American I'm not eligible. I will explore what you've suggested though. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just checked the OU site, for some unknown reason it does say the qualification isn't open to people in the US, but as far as I can work out, you can still do some individual modules. Go through the list, are there any modules which are open to you (click module registration to see if you can do it)? As long as you get 120 credits in total, you don't need a qualification.

I just checked a few modules, you could for example do:

Introducing the social sciences
Environment: journeys through a changing world
English for academic purposes online
Exploring science
Understanding global heritage

I realise these aren't strictly related to Ancient History, but there's no harm in asking unis if they'd consider you with these modules. You just need to explain that humanities/language modules weren't available to you so you did these, and supplemented your education by reading classical history books.

Speaking as someone who has done OU level 1 humanities modules, I can tell you that there isn't any Ancient History there (unless you count a very small chapter on Cleopatra, and that was only about how she's portrayed in literature and film), so you're not missing out anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Samual
I just checked the OU site, for some unknown reason it does say the qualification isn't open to people in the US, but as far as I can work out, you can still do some individual modules. Go through the list, are there any modules which are open to you (click module registration to see if you can do it)? As long as you get 120 credits in total, you don't need a qualification.

I just checked a few modules, you could for example do:

Introducing the social sciences
Environment: journeys through a changing world
English for academic purposes online
Exploring science
Understanding global heritage

I realise these aren't strictly related to Ancient History, but there's no harm in asking unis if they'd consider you with these modules. You just need to explain that humanities/language modules weren't available to you so you did these, and supplemented your education by reading classical history books.

Speaking as someone who has done OU level 1 humanities modules, I can tell you that there isn't any Ancient History there (unless you count a very small chapter on Cleopatra, and that was only about how she's portrayed in literature and film), so you're not missing out anyway.

Thanks. But part of my problem is lack of qualifications. If I can't officially do the program, I'm not sure there's a point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. But part of my problem is lack of qualifications. If I can't officially do the program, I'm not sure there's a point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point is you don't need a qualification, just the OU credits. Studying something that doesn't interest you (in the short term) and not receiving an official qualification may be necessary evils if you don't get in this year/find a foundation year.
Original post by Samual
The point is you don't need a qualification, just the OU credits. Studying something that doesn't interest you (in the short term) and not receiving an official qualification may be necessary evils if you don't get in this year/find a foundation year.

Indeed. That's basically what I've been doing for ages at the community college where I live. I'll look into this over the weekend hopefully Manchester gets back to me Monday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending