The Student Room Group

Are intensive driving courses ever any good?

I'm not new to driving as I did learn through the regular route of weekly lessons and did between 20-25 lessons (i can't remember the exact number) but I have failed several tests, and I haven''t driven in a few months now since going to university. The thing is the things i'm failing on are unbelievably stupid and are caused by me just noticing things on the road and for some reason in the heat of the moment, not reacting correctly to them, but I have never done anything like it during a lesson. My instructor told me that there really wasn't anything he could do to fix it as he thought I was a good driver; heck even the examiner agreed saying on a test "Why would you do that? It was a good drive other than one error".

My problem is that after failing several tests, the idea of doing another makes me feel sick and feels like my worst nightmare. I'm desperate to just be done with the process and have my license, and I know that if I don't start driving again soon then i'll end up developing a full on fear of the driving test.

So my question is, would an intensive driving course be of any use? I've heard some negative things about them for new drivers, but as a refresher would they be more effective? The course i'm looking at involves a 1 hour assesment lesson followed by 10 hours spread over 2 or 3 days(you can have more or less hours but 10 is about as much as i can afford with a test)
I think so especially since you are a refresher, because they are taught in such a short space of time it is likely more information will be retained for the pratical exam,
Reply 2
Yes, I passed after doing an intensive course. I'd had about 15 hours of proper lessons, and about 20 odd hours of practice in my own car, when i decided to give an intensive course a try as I felt the lessons were just dragging on and I just wanted to be able to drive my car lol. I booked a 21 hour course spread over 1 week including an hour for the test, and passed first time. So as you've had driving experience, I'd say go for it 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending