The Student Room Group

Question for Atheists

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelc142
I'd like to correct this to "believing that there is no such thing as a 'god' " because saying we believe God doesn't exist is a statement of us acknowledging he does exist and we just don't believe it. This is incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, since i believe that there is a God, then i can state that atheists believe that God doesn't exist, right?
I wasn't brought up as anything. I was never told that there was or wasn't a god. I read and read and one day I looked out the window and thought: there's nothing out there is there?

Death is the end. But thankfully the cycle continues.
Original post by I Procrastinate
Well, since i believe that there is a God, then i can state that atheists believe that God doesn't exist, right?

I think as a non atheist you shouldn't be dictating what it is that we believe hahaha
I wouldn't try and describe you as "somebody that believes in a non- existing deity " because it's not my place to. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing happens after death. Neurones cease to function and hence conciousness cannot continue.
I became an atheist because that is the most logical explanation of everything. When there is a lack of data, go for the most feasible and logical theory.
My family and pretty much everyone I know now are atheist, but my primary school was religious. By the age of 5 I had dismissed their views.
I came to the personal conclusion long ago that most people are scared of death and welcome the concept of an afterlife because they're unwilling to accept "nothingness". The hierarchical pyramid of power that is organised religion exploited this, and threw in a load of stuff about "God" (amongst a load of "rules" to live your life by) in a bid to control people.

That being said, it's also important to see the distinction between spirituality and religion; to say that you can't have one without the other is erroneous. The paragraph above applies specifically to organised religion.
Reply 25
Original post by Mahbuba1997
Ok I have nothing against your beliefs
I don't have beliefs, I have knowledge.

I was wondering do you guys think about what happens after death?
Your body rots. That's all.

Also was there a particular reason why you became Atheist (assuming you were brought up with religion)
Working out organised religion was a means of controlling society + realising there are hundreds of religions saying all the others are wrong + learning how scriptures vary over time + discovering there is no evidence that any gods exist.
Reply 26
Original post by ImNotMe
I like to think of The Quran as the computer manual and prayer is like talking directly to the Manufacturer.
and yet no matter how hard you bang on the keys, bugger all comes up on the screen.

Crap analogy.

Original post by kaiwid23
one cannot be 100% sure if there is a supernatural deity or not.
I am 100% sure there is no supernatural deity.

Atheism is a belief. You BELIEVE that God doesn't exist.
Boring. There is no evidence of the gods that live on Olympus, nor any of the other thousands of invisible sky-daddies people have made up.

You may as well claim that "some people do not believe there is an invisible giant yellow unicorn that created everything, therefore it exists" - that is no argument there is one of those either.
Original post by rachelc142
I think as a non atheist you shouldn't be dictating what it is that we believe hahaha
I wouldn't try and describe you as "somebody that believes in a non- existing deity " because it's not my place to. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you got me wrong. I said that "atheists don't believe in god", whereas you then said that there is atheists don't even acknowledge that he exists. Well then according to your statement, i can say that atheists don't beleive in god, because i believe that god does exists. Do you get what i mean? :smile:

That's a misleading description of atheism.

Atheists have no belief in god(s), they don't believe there is no god.
Original post by Simes

Boring. There is no evidence of the gods that live on Olympus, nor any of the other thousands of invisible sky-daddies people have made up.

You may as well claim that "some people do not believe there is an invisible giant yellow unicorn that created everything, therefore it exists" - that is no argument there is one of those either.

Boring? LOL :rolleyes:

The person who i was answering to said that Atheism isn't a belief, when it clearly is. You just don't believe there is a God.
"Atheists are people who believe that god or gods (or other supernatural beings) are man-made constructs, myths and legends or who believe that these concepts are not meaningful."

When it comes to the question whether God exists or not, then that is completely subjective.
The Qur'an to muslims is evidence that Allah exists, the Bible to Christians is proof that God exists, the Torah to Jews is the evidence that God exists.
In addition, miracles and religious places can also be examples as to why one believes there is a God.
Reply 30
"Atheists are people who believe that god or gods (or other supernatural beings) are man-made constructs, myths and legends or who believe that these concepts are not meaningful."

That quote comes from Atheism & Islam at a Glance; By Ijaz Chaudry; Difference between Atheism and Islam, Islamic point of view which is hardly an atheist's opinion, is it? Very impartial. Not.

When it comes to the question whether God exists or not, then that is completely subjective.
That's not accurate. If you choose to believe in something made up, then it is subjective.

I have decided to only acknowledge that for which there is evidence. There is no evidence for there being any gods.

The Qur'an to muslims is evidence that Allah exists, the Bible to Christians is proof that God exists, the Torah to Jews is the evidence that God exists.
So there are three cases of religions which disagree with each other. The odds are that believing in one means it is 2 to 1 against that you picked the right one. Except there are thousands of different religions all with conflicting stories.

In addition, miracles and religious places can also be examples as to why one believes there is a God.
They are not evidence; miracles are in self-referencing scripture and religious places are merely referred to in that scripture. That is not evidence of anything. You may as well claim every place and event in every other work of fiction is real too.
Woah woah woah guys this was not meant to start a debate. Calm yourselves!
Original post by morgan8002
Nothing happens after death. Neurones cease to function and hence conciousness cannot continue.
I became an atheist because that is the most logical explanation of everything. When there is a lack of data, go for the most feasible and logical theory.
My family and pretty much everyone I know now are atheist, but my primary school was religious. By the age of 5 I had dismissed their views.

Original post by Drunk Punx
I came to the personal conclusion long ago that most people are scared of death and welcome the concept of an afterlife because they're unwilling to accept "nothingness". The hierarchical pyramid of power that is organised religion exploited this, and threw in a load of stuff about "God" (amongst a load of "rules" to live your life by) in a bid to control people.

That being said, it's also important to see the distinction between spirituality and religion; to say that you can't have one without the other is erroneous. The paragraph above applies specifically to organised religion.

Ok I understand both of you and I get where you're coming from. Logically it does make sense, I am not going to deny that like a lot of believing do :indiff:
Original post by Simes
x

That quote comes from Atheism & Islam at a Glance; By Ijaz Chaudry; Difference between Atheism and Islam, Islamic point of view which is hardly an atheist's opinion, is it? Very impartial. Not.

I got that quote from BBC Religion. It's hardly "impartial".

That's not accurate. If you choose to believe in something made up, then it is subjective.

I have decided to only acknowledge that for which there is evidence. There is no evidence for there being any gods.
R: I believe that God does exist.-Subjective.
(Well to me, it's like a fact, because i believe in it 100%, but obviously to others that's not the case.)

A: I believe that God doesn't exist/rejects the thought of their being a God-pick whatever you want. subjective.

So there are three cases of religions which disagree with each other. The odds are that believing in one means it is 2 to 1 against that you picked the right one. Except there are thousands of different religions all with conflicting stories.

They are not evidence; miracles are in self-referencing scripture and religious places are merely referred to in that scripture. That is not evidence of anything. You may as well claim every place and event in every other work of fiction is real too.

Actually, there are similarities between some religions. For example, christians and muslims have similarities between them, but there is the major difference about the Prophet Muhammed PBUH being the last messenger and also the point that christians believe in the holy trinity.
There is another point i would have liked to add, but i'm going to double check it before i make any claims.
Every religion believes that there is a God(s) or an omnipotent sovereign. Is there a religion that doesn't believe in this? Perhaps, i should have put "Most". Anyway, my point is that all religious people believe in there being something supreme.

Well, what other explanation is there of the Ka'bah? i only know of one.....

I thought i lost what i typed for a second.

Apparently this started by my "misinterpretation" of the meaning of Atheism. Wow. Really.
Original post by Simes

But yellow things can't be invisible, because they're yellow.
Original post by Simes
and yet no matter how hard you bang on the keys, bugger all comes up on the screen.

Crap analogy.

I am 100% sure there is no supernatural deity.

My 100% sentence was referencing the origins of our universe and the cause of its existence. We don't know how it came about and it may well have been due to some weird force some people would call God. I'm not talking about the God of modern (or historic) religions when I say "supernatural deity".
Reply 37
Those religionistas can't stop themselves preaching.
Reply 38
Original post by SmashConcept
But yellow things can't be invisible, because they're yellow.
Of course it can. It's one of the gods. It can be anything and everything at all times everywhere all at once. Just like all the other gods, on all the other mountains, heavens, underworlds, valhallas, clouds, Planet Xs, and so on.

Apparently that's how gods work and that's why they, and angels and devils and demons and demi-gods and seraphim and cherubim and naiads and dryads and fairies (except the Tooth Fairy) and nephilim and archangels and all that fiction can all co-exist.

Because they're only in people's heads.
Original post by Simes
Of course it can. It's one of the gods. It can be anything and everything at all times everywhere all at once. Just like all the other gods, on all the other mountains, heavens, underworlds, valhallas, clouds, Planet Xs, and so on.

Apparently that's how gods work and that's why they, and angels and devils and demons and demi-gods and seraphim and cherubim and naiads and dryads and fairies (except the Tooth Fairy) and nephilim and archangels and all that fiction can all co-exist.

Because they're only in people's heads.

But if it was yellow people would be able to see it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending