The Student Room Group

Alternatives to prescription glasses

I used to wear glasses and contact lenses until the contacts made my eyes dry so I couldn't wear them anymore. I started using Ortho-K lenses but after 4 years they're making my eyes red at night so I guess I'm going to have to stop using them.

I don't mind wearing glasses for everyday use but a second option would be nice for when I go out etc. I'm not a suitable candidate for LASIK because it apparently makes dry eyes even dryer. I'm aware there are contact lenses designed for dry eyes which I'm going to try out. Have I got any other options?
Reply 1
I could give an amateur response, but why don't you just go to your local opticians and seek advice through them? A more professional response from individuals with greater understanding. I'm pretty sure somewhere like Specsavers can conjure up an alternative for your situation. From my knowledge you can get contact lens' either in the form of dailies which you would chuck away every day and then there's monthlies. Again make an appointment and they will find which is best based on your life style.
if laser surgery isn't an option, then glasses and contacts are about it I'm afraid, extended wear/silicone hydrogel lenses cause less of a problem with dry eyes, and you can also get eye drops to use with contacts.

depending on your prescription, you can get a type of contact lense that you wear overnight and corrects your vision for the next day I believe... not sure if that would be an option for you
http://www.contactlenses.org/orthok.htm
Reply 3
You could always try giving your eyes a break for several months and see if it helps. Another option is to try a different brand of contacts or talk to your eye doctor and see if they have any other options for you.

Quick Reply

Latest