The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

I'm homesick and I don't know what to do about next year...

Poll

What I should do next year?

So, I got back to University after Christmas and I have had non-stop homesickness, this isn't just a silly feeling that comes and goes, I'm constantly upset, I'm uncontrollably sobbing, I can't concentrate on my lectures.
I am seriously contemplating quitting after this first year. I had thought about quitting now, but I can't afford to as I would have to pay back my student loan etc and still pay for my rent at my University House. I also just got a job that I can't really quit.
I have been thinking about the possibilities for next year, quitting all together, applying at a University closer to home, taking a gap year. I don't know what to do.
A big question I have is if I take a gap year to figure out what I want to do (as I only took Journalism because I didn't know what I wanted to do and was pressured into going to Uni straight after Sixth Form), if I were to do that would I be able to then start University over again? Would I be able to have the option to finish the next two years and still be able to get funding from Student Finance if I was to want to start University over again?
At the minute that is the option that gives me the most peace at mind, there is of course the option of sticking this out for another 2 years and just getting my degree and dealing with it, but if I was to be this upset for the next 2 years I don't think I could deal with it.
I could also apply for a University closer to home or do open university.
People keep saying to me that the homesickness will pass, it will get better, but it's not, I've been crying for two months now and I just don't know what to do.
Can anyone give me any advice/information about what I should do?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
When I was at uni the majority of my first year I didn't like as I felt homesick. Especially the first few months. I hated it and like you it took its toll on my interest on what was an enjoyable course. I don't have great advice for you but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. In fact, I later found out that quite a lot of my close uni friends had experienced massive homesickness in their first year too, to the point of considering quitting.

I wanted to leave but stuck it out, and I'm glad I did because the next 2 years were more enjoyable. It's completely up to you though. If you're not sure what you want to do then maybe a year out would help. Do your parents know how you're feeling?

Here if you wanna talk.
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Hi there, sorry to hear you are having a bad time and are thinking of leaving.

It sounds to me like you are suffering from depression - the same thing happened to me when I started and after a visit to my GP and the universities counselling service I started to feel better and I am now about to finish a masters!
Definitely speak to your course leader and see if you can make an appointment with the counselling service.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending