The Student Room Group

Unsure about driving and my progess

Hi all,

I'm currently learning how to drive and whilst I get the majority of it, I feel like it hasn't actually clicked and some of the simplest things I find not hard, but pressure doing. For example, changing down gears when approaching a junction or roundabout. I can change down gears but I usually do it too late to the point where I end up doing a full stop when I don't need to because I panic. My instructor says I need to give myself more time, thats the biggest problem. It's like I know what I need to do but I'm just not doing it in time.

Stuff like manoeuvres, I can do perfectly right now except from reverse around the corner and reverse bay parking (currently learning), but I feel like for the ones I do know (e.g.: turn in the road) I know how to do it but I have to have a good think about it. My driving instructor says I'm good at it, but I feel like it hasn't really clicked in my mind because I have to think about it - it doesn't just happen straight away.

I just basically feel like my progress overall is slow and I know everyone is different and some are more faster at learning than others, but I'm starting to wonder if i'll ever get to test standard on all aspects of driving. Also, I feel that my driving instructor is good because I do learn with him, however I feel that he gets annoyed with me when I don't get things right which he's thoroughly explained. It makes me feel bad as if I'm dumb and I'm not getting anything but i guess that could just be down to me taking it to heart too much. I think our personalities clash sometimes which is also another issue, but I don't know if these issues are big enough to change instructor. The only reason I don't want to change is because I have learn't from him, but at the same time I feel as if it's taking me too long sometimes to fully understand certain aspects of driving and I feel this annoys him and makes me feel like crap basically.

Could anyone offer any advice?

Also, my breaking is really bad. It's quite harsh but I think I'm being soft with the pedal, any help on that?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
how many hours have you had?

pretty much everything you have said are just things that come with experience and practice, when you're learning of course you'll need to consciously think about what you're doing, its part of the learning process, its the needing to think that leads to doubt, I wouldn't worry about it, everybody goes through the same stages, but one day it'll just click and you'll just drive.

the approaching junctions and roundabouts, its just about forward planning, making a decision and choosing the appropriate gear etc, it'll all just come with practice, soon you wont even have to think about what you're doing.

If you slow down a little earlier, you'll give yourself a little bit more time to make the decision and get yourself sorted out, what it all boils down to, other than the mirrors, signal etc etc is whether you'll be going or stopping and taking the appropriate action, the suddenly stopping comes down to not having made the decision about what you're going to do, or making the decision but not allowing enough time to get yourself sorted out, and your brain goes bleugh, and you stop. so give yourself a bit more time, or be more decisive, you could vocalise what you're planning on doing, it can help with going through whatever routine you do.

The key is to not over think what needs to be done, in theory its easy, driving is childs play once you've gone through the 'learning' part, in practice its a little harder because when learning you need to feel comfortable with what you're doing, making the right decisions, being confident in your decisions etc and all of that just comes with practice.

I'm sure people could reel off some spiel saying do xyz, do this, then that whilst doing the the other, but it wont really help, im sure you know what you need to be doing, you just need to get comfortable with your abilities as a driver, it all just takes time.

The harsh breaking, when you're about to stop, come off the brakes slightly and reapply them, it'll take off that harsh feeling jolt at the end.

The whole changing instructors is a difficult one, sometimes its a case of better the devil you know, there's so many variables, but to me it just sounds like you're at the stage of feeling cr@p about your abilities, a thought im sure the majority of people have been through, thinking you're not moving forwards, when in reality you probably are, and are getting better with each lesson, but just don't realise it, because not much actual new learning is going on.

It might be worth booking an assessment lesson with another instructor, might give you a better understanding of where you're at.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending