The Student Room Group

Fashion/design at Uni??

I've been thinking about whether I want to go to University or not as I have little idea about the career path I want to take but out of all my AS-levels the subject I'm enjoying most is Textiles. I was wondering about maybe doing a degree in Fashion/design but didn't know if this was a good degree to do and what it looked like to employees if I wanted to go into a job unrelated to design. Also any ideas of Universities that are really good in this area?:smile:
I applied to Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam and UCLAN to do fashion design and Leeds Beckett to do Fashion. You can get into most fashion related jobs(design, trend forecasting, buying, fashion journalism) with a degree like this as the career mostly focuses on experience and the people you know. I take textiles too and it's my favourite subject, if you like the coursework side of the course apply for fashion or fashion design, if you prefer the theory then apply for a textiles based course. xx
Reply 2
Original post by Hparsonage
I applied to Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam and UCLAN to do fashion design and Leeds Beckett to do Fashion. You can get into most fashion related jobs(design, trend forecasting, buying, fashion journalism) with a degree like this as the career mostly focuses on experience and the people you know. I take textiles too and it's my favourite subject, if you like the coursework side of the course apply for fashion or fashion design, if you prefer the theory then apply for a textiles based course. xx

Thank you for your advice! I am really enjoying textiles at the moment and love doing my sketchbooks and matching things. If I decided not to go into fashion/design after Uni, would it still look like a good degree to any employer or would it kind of have been a waste of time in your opinion??
Thank you.
Original post by ellieee1513
Thank you for your advice! I am really enjoying textiles at the moment and love doing my sketchbooks and matching things. If I decided not to go into fashion/design after Uni, would it still look like a good degree to any employer or would it kind of have been a waste of time in your opinion??
Thank you.

Not at all, a degree can set you up for a career no matter what you end up doing. It's more about having a degree in a lot of jobs rather than having the degree in that specific course, however it's probably best to go with a degree in the career path you want. I applied for those courses because i know i want to go into fashion, I'm just not sure what part of fashion yet. With a course like fashion design you will meet so many people in the process that it could lead you anywhere. If you want to look into uni, I looked at so many of them I could probably give you some advise, I'd be happy to help!xx
Reply 4
Not at all, a degree can set you up for a career no matter what you end up doing. It's more about having a degree in a lot of jobs rather than having the degree in that specific course, however it's probably best to go with a degree in the career path you want. I applied for those courses because i know i want to go into fashion, I'm just not sure what part of fashion yet. With a course like fashion design you will meet so many people in the process that it could lead you anywhere. If you want to look into uni, I looked at so many of them I could probably give you some advise, I'd be happy to help!xx

Thank you - that's really kind of you!:smile: I think I would really enjoy doing fashion etc after sixth form as at the moment textiles is really the only subject that I love all of the time. I've always wanted to work with children in some way but one of my teachers said that if I did a degree in any subject and then e.g. for teaching a PGCE after then that would be fine, she also mentioned about many jobs incorporating art/fashion/design with children??Do you have any idea of what sorts of things you do in a fashion/design degree? :smile:
Thank you - that's really kind of you!:smile: I think I would really enjoy doing fashion etc after sixth form as at the moment textiles is really the only subject that I love all of the time. I've always wanted to work with children in some way but one of my teachers said that if I did a degree in any subject and then e.g. for teaching a PGCE after then that would be fine, she also mentioned about many jobs incorporating art/fashion/design with children??Do you have any idea of what sorts of things you do in a fashion/design degree? :smile:

You could always teach textiles. The courses I looked at mainly focus on learning how to design, using CAD, then turning your ideas into products (kind of like the a level coursework.) then the courses often have modules on the business side of fashion (learning about buying and trends) there's often an option to do a placement year in industry in the 3rd year, and you complete the degree in the 4th year. In the last year you'll do a dissertation, line of clothing (around 6 garments) and have a fashion show. Each course is different but they often have this as their basic structure. Don't forget you could always go into children's wear xx
Reply 6
You could always teach textiles. The courses I looked at mainly focus on learning how to design, using CAD, then turning your ideas into products (kind of like the a level coursework.) then the courses often have modules on the business side of fashion (learning about buying and trends) there's often an option to do a placement year in industry in the 3rd year, and you complete the degree in the 4th year. In the last year you'll do a dissertation, line of clothing (around 6 garments) and have a fashion show. Each course is different but they often have this as their basic structure. Don't forget you could always go into children's wear xx

I've thought about that too! My teacher also mentioned about art therapy or costume design at shows. That sounds really good with the things you cover at Uni and thank you so much for all your help!:smile:
I've thought about that too! My teacher also mentioned about art therapy or costume design at shows. That sounds really good with the things you cover at Uni and thank you so much for all your help!:smile:

No problem :smile: Happy to help xx
Reply 8
No problem :smile: Happy to help xx

Thank you! Sorry, one last question, do you know good universities that have courses in this sort of thing? (I don't really know much about the whole University stuff :smile:)
Thank you! Sorry, one last question, do you know good universities that have courses in this sort of thing? (I don't really know much about the whole University stuff :smile:)

It's no problem! I applied to Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam, UCLAN and Leeds Beckett I loved all the courses but I've put Leeds Beckett as my firm :smile: I also looked at Northampton, Manchester Met, Manchester uni, Leeds uni. All the courses are fashion or fashion design and all really good. I also know that DMU offer a lot of interesting creative courses because that's where my brother goes. If you're looking for costume my friend applied for Nottingham Trent, Huddersfield and Edinburgh. If you go on to UCAS there's a 'find courses' section where you can look up a course and all the uni options come up for that course. xx
It's no problem! I applied to Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam, UCLAN and Leeds Beckett I loved all the courses but I've put Leeds Beckett as my firm :smile: I also looked at Northampton, Manchester Met, Manchester uni, Leeds uni. All the courses are fashion or fashion design and all really good. I also know that DMU offer a lot of interesting creative courses because that's where my brother goes. If you're looking for costume my friend applied for Nottingham Trent, Huddersfield and Edinburgh. If you go on to UCAS there's a 'find courses' section where you can look up a course and all the uni options come up for that course. xx

Oh okay! I'm going to start having a proper look especially after exams as I want to get it a little more sorted in my head! Also I want to look at Uni's not really far away from where I live so I will start to do some research on UCAS!! Thank youuu :smile:
Oh okay! I'm going to start having a proper look especially after exams as I want to get it a little more sorted in my head! Also I want to look at Uni's not really far away from where I live so I will start to do some research on UCAS!! Thank youuu :smile:

No problem! Good luck xx
No problem! Good luck xx

Thank you so much xxx
If I want to go to fashion university what a levels do I need to get in? Is textiles business and graphic art a good choice as that is what I’ve chosen and I’m worried that’s incorrect
Original post by chloewilllls
If I want to go to fashion university what a levels do I need to get in? Is textiles business and graphic art a good choice as that is what I’ve chosen and I’m worried that’s incorrect

Yes that sounds like a dood selection - good luck

Quick Reply

Latest