The Student Room Group

scars

I have a lot of scars from self harm. I have not hurt myself for nearly 5 years so the scars are between maybe 8 and 5 years old... I have used bio oil long term and I think I've seen as much of an effect as I can with that, the scars are all white/pale but still very obvious and raised/indented.

Day to day I have accepted what I did and I am not really concerned about my scars around family, friends, my partner etc but I have been starting to wonder whether I can really go into a caring profession with these scars... I don't want to have to wear long sleeves every day for my entire life (I will sweat like crazy in the summer...) but I can't really have my arms exposed around a child or person with mental health difficulties when they look like this can I?! I currently wear short sleeves occasionally round our department in my current job so I assume my colleagues are aware but I am dreading summer... I am just not used to covering my scars up, I have always worn short sleeves when it's warm but I work in a high school so there is no way I can walk around in short sleeves

Has anyone else had significant scarring and found any way to actually get rid of it?
Reply 1
Wear a tattoo that wraps around your forearm. :dontknow:
Sth like that:

Reply 2
Original post by Josb
Wear a tattoo that wraps around your forearm. :dontknow:
Sth like that:

thanks but it is my entire forearm (on both sides) and while I'm not opposed to discrete tattoos I think it would look very unprofessional to have huge tattoos covering both arms
Huge well done on going 5 years without self harming. :five:

Have you considered laser removal or, as it sounds like they're more significant that that would work for, there are surgeries which can reduce the number of scars visible.
Make-up maybe?
Reply 5
Original post by Sabertooth
Huge well done on going 5 years without self harming. :five:

Have you considered laser removal or, as it sounds like they're more significant that that would work for, there are surgeries which can reduce the number of scars visible.

Original post by Noodlzzz
Make-up maybe?

I'm not sure how well what different things would work if I'm honest :s-smilie: I know I'm getting nothing further from bio oil, I don't personally feel the scars on my arms are that severe I never needed stitches on them for example, I have worse scars on my hips which did require stitches but I'm less concerned about those as like I said it's more about my career
Original post by doodle_333

I'm not sure how well what different things would work if I'm honest :s-smilie: I know I'm getting nothing further from bio oil, I don't personally feel the scars on my arms are that severe I never needed stitches on them for example, I have worse scars on my hips which did require stitches but I'm less concerned about those as like I said it's more about my career

It might be worth going to your GP and seeing what they can recommend, something like laser removal might work if they're not that deep. I imagine you'd have to somehow prove you're totally over whatever made you do it to start with and that you won't do it again. Worth a shot though?
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
It might be worth going to your GP and seeing what they can recommend, something like laser removal might work if they're not that deep. I imagine you'd have to somehow prove you're totally over whatever made you do it to start with and that you won't do it again. Worth a shot though?

I think I could do that (prove I'm past it) I haven't so much as slipped in 5 years and the issues behind the SH are resolved and dealt with

thanks, I will have a conversation
The tattoo idea above is really cute but if the scars are around your wrist/lower arm it's not a good idea because it will make it very difficult to find a good job. If your scars are very severe, you can get surgery to reduce them. Otherwise, visit a clinic where they offer treatments like laser/resurfacing/dermaroller and see how they can help you. In the mean time, you can buy special medical camouflage make up which is designed for people with severe scars or conditions like vitiligo and I'm sure it would disguise them well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest