The Student Room Group

Is this what Air Cadets is like...

Basically I joined Air Cadets a week ago and so far its been mostly pushups (sets of 4 reps of 20) climbing over walls, running laps and a host of many more grueling exercises. Don't mind it that much but I wonder is this what all air cadet squadrons are like or is my one especially hard?
Reply 1
Original post by Djmax121
Basically I joined Air Cadets a week ago and so far its been mostly pushups (sets of 4 reps of 20) climbing over walls, running laps and a host of many more grueling exercises. Don't mind it that much but I wonder is this what all air cadet squadrons are like or is my one especially hard?

My old place used to have one of its two nights a week as sports nights, it did occasionally do PT like you describe, but ordinarily it was just playing football, volleyball, basketball, etc. Solely doing PT does sound a touch over the top, but each to their own.
Reply 2
I've been involved with the Air Cadets for almost 4 years now. All squadrons are similar in the list of Corps activities they provide, but all training programmes are different. Sports and fitness do form a part of the Air Cadet Experience, whether its team sport, athletics, obstacle courses or some good ol' PT. You may have been unlucky/lucky (depending on your bent) and joined during a period of training for a particular competition or just a week of outdoor activities. My advice would be to stick it out for another week or two to see whether the squadron is especially heavy on the physical training.

As a new cadet, you will be required to go through your 'basic training'. This includes a bit of RAF knowledge, ATC knowledge, fieldcraft, map reading, aviation knowledge, basic drill, uniform etc etc. Often this culminates in a training weekend, and then you pass out as an enrolled 'First Class' cadet. Even in a squadron that loves fitness, they will have to cover off these things so i've no doubt if you stick it out you'll be doing some broader activities soon enough.

If PT really isn't your thing, bear in mind that there are often many squadrons within driving distance of where you live. Up here in Essex i've got at least 5 within a 20min radius. Different squadrons will have different priorities in the sorts of activities they like to provide. Also consider that due to the times on squadron being evening, we tend to maximize outdoor activities in the summer months!

Hope this helps. If you're struggling, ask one of your staff members or the squadron padre. They'll be able to give you better information than I.
Reply 3
Original post by Djmax121

Hard to say. If you do it for a month and only do PT then I would say it is unusual. Of course, you could defect and join Army Cadets. :biggrin:
No all air cadets are like that, they try and focus on things like a follow-up of initial training which you have to do if wanting to join the air force, so really it is good practice and gets you going if you are hoping to join the air force in the future. The initial training is a whole 2 months of push-ups ans other physical exercises.
Original post by SceneKid17
No all air cadets are like that, they try and focus on things like a follow-up of initial training which you have to do if wanting to join the air force, so really it is good practice and gets you going if you are hoping to join the air force in the future. The initial training is a whole 2 months of push-ups ans other physical exercises.

My sqn is nothing like that :smile: we have lessons on a Monday night (although there's quite a few that are stuck because they're too young for the next classification) and projects - modelling, first aid, air rec, flight sim... - on a Thursday and drill both nights. The only physical stuff we do really is in summer where we'll occasionally do fieldcraft or swimming or, more often, just do running. Our newbies go straight in to basic training (lessons).

It's just Wing Training Day prep at the moment though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SceneKid17
The one i went two was literally training physically madness for the first full month

Where are you? Just out of curiosity. Ours is quite boring now tbh. The sncos who had all the discipline and would organise things have all left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine was nothing like that either, mostly teaching and some team sports. Every one is different though, and tbh that might be better than what I did (:
I was in the ACO for over 3 years - reaching Sergeant.

My squadron was nothing like you describe. We usually spent the first half-hour or so doing drill, then lectures/activities for the rest of the evening (with a break, of course).

If it was a sports night (usually once a fortnight-once a month), we'd usually do dodgeball (we had a lot of grassy room in the 'front garden'), or football. We sometimes did circuits, but not usually for more than half of the night (other half would be fun stuff, like dodgeball) - this also tended to be once every (good) few months - in the 2 years I was at that squadron, I probably partook/oversaw/was doing something else while circuits were on 5 times, maybe less, maybe (unlikely) more. We much preferred lectures, drill and cleaning (yes, we preferred Greens nights!), well, I did, particularly as an NCO!

I'd say stick it out. Speak with other cadets and NCOs - if you're friendly with them (they are usually very friendly - far more than they appear). Or if there's an AWO, speak with them. Just politely converse about what other stuff the squadron does on parade nights.

Feel free to drop me a line if you've got any questions regarding the ACO (or anything else). If you've not already, you may want to join the 'You Know You've Been An Air Cadet Too Long When...' Facebook group. That page is full of good tips.
Especially AP1538C! If you haven't already, wait around yo experience BADER - it's a magnificent website (it's very odd - ask any NCO!)
Currently a Flight Sergeant in the Air Cadets, Up in North Yorkshire, I have been in 5 years and done so much with the cadets a lot of the comments are very true, it does depend on where your squadron is and what sort of interests your staff have. For example we are a big drill squadron because a lot of our staff doing the marking competitions and have strong military backgrounds.

Definitely Stick with it, its the most amazing thing I have ever done and done so much with it, that I would never had chance to do outside cadets. its not for everyone though

886 City of Ripon Squadron, Central and East Yorkshire Wing

Quick Reply

Latest