The Student Room Group

Starting running

My family's just bought a running machine and I've decided to start using it but I've never run before and I never exercise so I'm really unfit.

I was just wondering what would be realistic in terms of the amount of time I could run and the number of times a week I could run without causing myself injury and maximise my progress.

Also should I stretch before and/or after running?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Google running programmes for beginners -- there are very many tips for how to start running. Most of them are the same and most of them are successfully able to lead you into running 5k in a couple months! :smile: good luck
Reply 2
It all depends on you!

Yes you need to warm up. I would recommend a small comfortable jog before you stretch- this gets the muscles warm.

I would start of running at a comfortable pace and time. After each session note this down.
On the next session try to beat that, set yourself a new goal and slowly push yourself.

Don't worry too much about injury. As long as you stretch and don't set the machine at a crazy speed you will be fine.
Don't use the running machine, open the front door.

There are plenty of programs for couch to 5k the NHS has a great website about running, stretches and couch to 5k programs. I would use one of these programs and set a target race, enter it. Also find a good running shop like up and running or accelerate(Sheffield) and invest in some nice running shoes, or try barefoot running, I used to to 5k barefoot once a week, was great :smile:
look at couch to 5k. It aims to get you running 5k gently.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx. Better advice then you will get on tsr also look into joining a running club great fun and you meet new people.. Don't worry about being slow :smile:
I've literally just started running and ive never been running before. I used to swim loads but haven't really exercised in the last few years and ive entered the London marathon for next year :smile:
The first few runs were really tough but using therunnningbug really helped me, esp their timetables,
Take it really slowly at first
Stretch first and immediately afterwards
Jog for about ten minutes
Leave a day...repeat. Then build it up from there.
Also listen to your body you will need more carbs and protein the more you run (pasta and meat...don't buy anything fancy) and drink plenty. You are supposed to drink more than 2L a day And more to make up for sweating eww :tongue:
Get a decent pair of running shoes (nothing expensive I've got a £30 Nike pair...I'm going to buy a more expensive pair when I get closer to the marathon)
What else.
Listen to your body if you feel too tired and exhausted slow down and pace yourself and if you are not feeling any strain speed up or go longer
Get a decent Nike, Adidas... Sports bra :smile:
Umm get a running buddy?
Set goals Eg 5K local races, 10 k half a marathon....
Write down your goals and your achievements it's so easy to forget how well you are doing.
And don't give up x
Good luck you'll be fab!
Take breaks (whole days off) I run three days one week and four the next then three then three with a swim :smile:
Don't eat immediately before a run, eat a banana or a breakfast bar about half an hour before and drink slowly before and after the run and drink only a little while running
Reply 7
Original post by cuppa
Google running programmes for beginners -- there are very many tips for how to start running. Most of them are the same and most of them are successfully able to lead you into running 5k in a couple months! :smile: good luck

Original post by OU Student
look at couch to 5k. It aims to get you running 5k gently.

Original post by earthworm
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx. Better advice then you will get on tsr also look into joining a running club great fun and you meet new people.. Don't worry about being slow :smile:

Thanks for your help! :smile: I shall be downloading the couch to 5K podcasts

Original post by imchuwy
It all depends on you!

Yes you need to warm up. I would recommend a small comfortable jog before you stretch- this gets the muscles warm.

I would start of running at a comfortable pace and time. After each session note this down.
On the next session try to beat that, set yourself a new goal and slowly push yourself.

Don't worry too much about injury. As long as you stretch and don't set the machine at a crazy speed you will be fine.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I just did a run and noted down what I did so hopefully tomorrow I can beat it

Original post by marythestudent
I've literally just started running and ive never been running before. I used to swim loads but haven't really exercised in the last few years and ive entered the London marathon for next year :smile:
The first few runs were really tough but using therunnningbug really helped me, esp their timetables,
Take it really slowly at first
Stretch first and immediately afterwards
Jog for about ten minutes
Leave a day...repeat. Then build it up from there.
Also listen to your body you will need more carbs and protein the more you run (pasta and meat...don't buy anything fancy) and drink plenty. You are supposed to drink more than 2L a day And more to make up for sweating eww :tongue:
Get a decent pair of running shoes (nothing expensive I've got a £30 Nike pair...I'm going to buy a more expensive pair when I get closer to the marathon)
What else.
Listen to your body if you feel too tired and exhausted slow down and pace yourself and if you are not feeling any strain speed up or go longer
Get a decent Nike, Adidas... Sports bra :smile:
Umm get a running buddy?
Set goals Eg 5K local races, 10 k half a marathon....
Write down your goals and your achievements it's so easy to forget how well you are doing.
And don't give up x
Good luck you'll be fab!
Take breaks (whole days off) I run three days one week and four the next then three then three with a swim :smile:
Don't eat immediately before a run, eat a banana or a breakfast bar about half an hour before and drink slowly before and after the run and drink only a little while running

Cheers, therunningbug looks like a good site and I think I'll make an account :smile: Good luck with the marathon by the way, it will be an amazing achievement :biggrin:
Original post by earthworm

Some running clubs (such as my first one) do walk to run / beginner groups.
download nike+ app. really helpful :smile:
When I treadmill run I set myself a target my how I feel in the first Mike, if I feel good and comfortable I just say to myself I won't stop until like 9k but if I don't feel so good then 5k.
I just keep thinking about that target number and not stopping before it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by channies
Thanks for your help! :smile: I shall be downloading the couch to 5K podcasts

Thanks for the advice :smile: I just did a run and noted down what I did so hopefully tomorrow I can beat it

Cheers, therunningbug looks like a good site and I think I'll make an account :smile: Good luck with the marathon by the way, it will be an amazing achievement :biggrin:

Thanks! Oh I just downloaded Nike+ so much better. The running bug website is still great though x
I think you've got some really good tips here to get going. It is often harder to run on a treadmill because its more monotonous so maybe once you've got your fitness up a bit you can alternate outside runs with the treadmill to improve quicker.

The correct sportswear obviously doesn't help you directly improve your fitness as such, but it can be more hygienic and easier to work out in which helps. But like Marythestudent mentioned, proper trainers is an absolute must if you are running regularly otherwise you can seriously injure yourself and man it hurts! I have brought discount sportswear from an online sports shop called Mnwear before (https://www.mnwear.co.uk/), they do women's stuff too. They sell the main brands such as Nike and Adidas but for loads less.

Other than that, proper warm ups and stretches and rest days are pretty important especially before you know your limits, if you don't fancy taking rest days because you feel like progress is taking too long i would recommend doing yoga and swimming to accompany your runs as these are less intrusive exercises but still benefit your running. Yoga is especially good to avoid injury though be warned, it is a lot harder than it seems! (Or maybe that is just me) You can get started with videos on YouTube, there are loads of them.

Anyway, good luck!

Ed
I personaly would never buy running shoes online unless i had already worn the same model, i would go to an independent running shop.
Get a proper gait analysis, prefebly by a middle aged man with no people skills, they are often the best because they are hired for their knowlage
Always stretch before and after any form of workout. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials online that you can refer to. Running is a great form of exercise! I started running 2 weeks before I joined the gym and I had a run on the treadmill a couple of days ago and managed to do 7 minutes in total without stopping! A month ago, I wasn't even able to do 30 seconds without huffing and puffing! Also, check out c25k, which is a runners programme and will help you with your journey.
Original post by channies
My family's just bought a running machine and I've decided to start using it but I've never run before and I never exercise so I'm really unfit.

I was just wondering what would be realistic in terms of the amount of time I could run and the number of times a week I could run without causing myself injury and maximise my progress.

Also should I stretch before and/or after running?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm an former competitive runner, I've done all events up to 10km. Ideally, you should combine treadmill work with runs outdoors but the treadmill still has several advantages for beginners.

I'd say for now do run -> Walk intervals. EG run for 3 minutes, walk for 4 and repeat. Something along those lines, gradually your endurance will increase but make sure you keep the speed and incline low at first to avoid injury. Incline at 0.5 - 1.5% compensates for the wind resistance outside!
As you get fitter, apply progressive overload to get stronger!

Dynamic stretches before your run, Static stretches after! (:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Ed Phelan
I think you've got some really good tips here to get going. It is often harder to run on a treadmill because its more monotonous so maybe once you've got your fitness up a bit you can alternate outside runs with the treadmill to improve quicker.

The correct sportswear obviously doesn't help you directly improve your fitness as such, but it can be more hygienic and easier to work out in which helps. But like Marythestudent mentioned, proper trainers is an absolute must if you are running regularly otherwise you can seriously injure yourself and man it hurts! I have brought discount sportswear from an online sports shop called Mnwear before (https://www.mnwear.co.uk/), they do women's stuff too. They sell the main brands such as Nike and Adidas but for loads less.

Other than that, proper warm ups and stretches and rest days are pretty important especially before you know your limits, if you don't fancy taking rest days because you feel like progress is taking too long i would recommend doing yoga and swimming to accompany your runs as these are less intrusive exercises but still benefit your running. Yoga is especially good to avoid injury though be warned, it is a lot harder than it seems! (Or maybe that is just me) You can get started with videos on YouTube, there are loads of them.

Anyway, good luck!

Ed

Thanks for the tips :smile: ive already got some running shoes, I don't know how they compare to other shoes but the lady at the store seemed to think they're good and my feet don't really hurt so far so I guess that's a good sign.

Yeah I remember trying to do yoga for a short time before, it definitely wasn't easy haha!
Reply 18
Original post by t.thompson22
I'm an former competitive runner, I've done all events up to 10km. Ideally, you should combine treadmill work with runs outdoors but the treadmill still has several advantages for beginners.

I'd say for now do run -> Walk intervals. EG run for 3 minutes, walk for 4 and repeat. Something along those lines, gradually your endurance will increase but make sure you keep the speed and incline low at first to avoid injury. Incline at 0.5 - 1.5% compensates for the wind resistance outside!
As you get fitter, apply progressive overload to get stronger!

Dynamic stretches before your run, Static stretches after! (:

Yeah I've been doing the run/walk interval thing so far. IVe only been doing 1.5 minute running and then 1 minute walk and they're not very fast but hopefully I can improve over time.

I dIdnt know about the different types of stretches so I'll have a look into that thanks for the help :smile:
I could barely run 5K on a treadmill but could do 10K daily outdoor and I'm still doing it. Indoor running is boring. My only advice is pick a TV-series and watch it while you run. You could put it in your phone/tablet. It'll be less boring, somehow music just don't do it for me.
Nike+ app is pretty useless indoor, it's far from accurate. It's close to being accurate when used outdoor though.
Also it's more important to stretch after. Stretching too much before you run may just waste your stamina that could have been converted to extra miles. Also take a small walk after you run.

Quick Reply

Latest