The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Giliwoo
How is he being self-righteous? As said before, maybe your social life has alwaysbeen smooth sailing, and being sociable and socially confident comes naturally to you, but nt to all people. It's harder still when your social inadequacies are preyed upon or are a hindrance in those crucial younger years. As one previous poster said, some people just don't have this problem. Perhaps try seeing it from that perspective. By the argument you people posit here, somebody who prefers football to schoolwork, has no business putting football practice on hold to study, even if he wants the benefits of a good degree. "He isn't being true to himself," after all. Below seems a more charitable interpretation of what he was trying to express, than anything you people have said.

Because he's trying to pass this whole thing off as something new, something miraculous, when it's not.

Read tanusha-tomsk's post because she makes an excellent point.
Reply 61
Giliwoo
The people who aren't naturally sociable, always lose out. It becomes a conscious effort to exorcise this social disability. This is a consciously acquired ability, learned by acquiring social skills, interests and pursuits that may be naturally alien. So to ridicule the OP about his efforts, and no doubt his sense of achievement at having done this, seems harsh. It isn't weak minded, it's difficult and admirable specifically because it goes against the grain. Face it, some people who are, for whatever reason, socially inept and cannot take for granted the confidence and camaraderie that comes with social success. They may justifiably choose not to display
those traits that are an impediment to social success. There isn't anything wrong with this.

how does being fake go against the grain? as ive said its probably the most popular of fitting in. and how do less naturally sociable people miss out? your friendship groups comprise of people with similar interests and mentalities to your own, so these are the people you will predominantly interact with no matter which group youre in.
Reply 62
Fleece
Because he's trying to pass this whole thing off as something new, something miraculous, when it's not.

Read tanusha-tomsk's post because she makes an excellent point.

No he's not, you can't read his mind. He appears to simply be pleased at the successful balance he's achieved between "what is expected" and "what is him". There is no evil in that. H&R has plenty of people sharing their inane and quaint, upsetting and uplifting stories. Why not let him have his day.
Reply 63
Anonymous
Hmmm... and what if I don't even want a girl who is "socially equivalent" to me?

youre obviously basing this on looks and there will be girls who are similar to you who are both good looking and ugly. to actively seek popularity and acceptance is the wrong way to go around things i think.
Reply 64
your friendship groups comprise of people with similar interests and mentalities to your own, so these are the people you will predominantly interact with no matter which group youre in.

What if I wanna interact with people from other groups? What if I don't want to be limited to my own "friendship group"?
Reply 65
Ross_j
how does being fake go against the grain?

How is being "fake" "bad" if it doesn't affect you? You people are being incredibly priggish about all this. If it's what he wants, then let him have it.
Reply 66
Anonymous
What if I wanna interact with people from other groups? What if I don't want to be limited to my own "friendship group"?

so you want to hang around with people you have little in common with, merely for status or acceptance?
Reply 67
Anonymous

Well exactly! Why should you just be what you were "designed" to be; what if you want more? How dare any of you think yourselves fit to say what he should and shouldn't be, and with such sententious voices too.
Reply 68
Giliwoo
How is being "fake" "bad" if it doesn't affect you? You people are being incredibly priggish about all this. If it's what he wants, then let him have it.

because as ive said a number of times its weak, and i hate weak people especially when its to seek popularity and acceptance or to take the easy way out.
Reply 69
Ross_j
so you want to hang around with people you have little in common with, merely for status or acceptance?

Or perhaps because in it, he sees something he wants to be, or wants to have?
Reply 70
Giliwoo
Or perhaps because in it, he sees something he wants to be, or wants to have?

so basically all this is is the old story of the geek wanting to become popular.
Reply 71
Ross_j
because as ive said a number of times its weak, and i hate weak people especially when its to seek popularity and acceptance or to take the easy way out.

It's pragmatic, not "weak" :rolleyes: It's not about the easy way out, but about doing what you must to get what you want out of life. And is wanting acceptance so bad, by the way? Get out of your own arse and stop being so judgemental.
Reply 72
Giliwoo
It's pragmatic, not "weak" :rolleyes: It's not about the easy way out, but about doing what you must to get what you want out of life. And is wanting acceptance so bad, by the way? Get out of your own arse and stop being so judgemental.

why would you want acceptance from people you have NOTHING in common with please tell me????
Reply 73
Ross_j
so basically all this is is the old story of the geek wanting to become popular.

Why shouldn't the geek want to be popular? Who are you to say what he ought to aim for in life?
Reply 74
Ross_j
why would you want acceptance from people you have NOTHING in common with please tell me????

This is about him not "me", so I cannot possibly answer ont hat. It is also a splendidly big red herring. Why would somebody who's interested in football, study for a degree in history? Who knows, they just see somethign they want in that. How dare anybody say what he "ought" to want. And that is what you are saying.
Reply 75
Giliwoo
Why shouldn't the geek want to be popular? Who are you to say what he ought to aim for in life?

be popular amongst the geeks then, not the people who are completely different from you.

its like why would i as someone quite outgoing seek acceptance from people who i share no interests with?
Reply 76
Giliwoo
This is about him not "me", so I cannot possibly answer ont hat. It is also a splendidly big red herring. Why would somebody who's interested in football, study for a degree in history? Who knows, they just see somethign they want in that. How dare anybody say what he "ought" to want. And that is what you are saying.

quite possibly the worst example ever given. come back with one that makes sense.
Reply 77
Ross_j
be popular amongst the geeks then, not the people who are completely different from you.

WHY? Again, who are you to tell him who he ought to be popular with?! What if it's not what he wants. The burden of proof si on you to say why he should "stick with the geeks".
Reply 78
Giliwoo
WHY? Again, who are you to tell him who he ought to be popular with?! What if it's not what he wants. The burden of proof si on you to say why he should "stick with the geeks".

you still ignore my question every single time over why somebody would want to hang out with people they have nothing in common with.
Reply 79
and you seem very well qualified to answer it.

Latest

Trending

Trending