The Student Room Group

Possible to change from Mechanical Engineering to Maths after firming?

I take Maths, Further Maths and Physics. After my exam performance, I am confident I will be getting A*, A, B in that order. If I am lucky enough I may get an A* in Further Maths (have A* in two of the three modules, need to do it again one more)

I currently have a firm choice at Queen Mary (AAB). I am considering using UCAS Adjustment to get into a better university such as Kings if I have A*s in Maths and Further Maths, but I doubt it will be likely as I have a B in physics (AAA for King's entry. Maybe they will let me in if I have A*s in Maths and Further maths? Is Kings that much better than Queen Mary?). My other choice which I think is more probable, is to change my choice of degree at my firm choice.

Should I not let my exam performance in Physics discourage me from doing Mechanical Engineering? I screwed up for two of my Physics exams so hard and I probably got a low C or high D, and about same for the retake (mid C). It makes me feel so bad. I honestly feel like I should not be doing Engineering because I feel my Physics is not up to scratch, whereas on the other hand my greatest ability is Maths so it would make more sense to do a Maths degree.

Also for additional information, I have not done any STEPS. Will not taking STEPS affect my chances of changing degrees? It looks like Queen Mary and Kings does not require STEPS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Salt and Peppa
I take Maths, Further Maths and Physics. After my exam performance, I am confident I will be getting A*, A, B in that order. If I am lucky enough I may get an A* in Further Maths (have A* in two of the three modules, need to do it again one more)

I currently have a firm choice at Queen Mary. I am considering using UCAS Adjustment to get into a better university such as Kings if I have A*s in Maths and Further Maths, but I doubt it will be likely as I have a B in physics (AAA entry, maybe they'll let me in if I have A*s in Maths and Further maths? Is Kings that much better than Queen Mary?). My other choice which I think is more probable, is to change my choice of degree at my firm choice.

Should I not let my exam performance in Physics discourage me from doing Mechanical Engineering? I screwed up for two of my Physics exams so hard and I probably got a low C or high D, and about same for the retake (mid C). It makes me feel so bad. I honestly feel like I should not be doing Engineering because I feel my Physics is not up to scratch, whereas on the other hand my greatest ability is Maths so it would make more sense to do a Maths degree.

Also for additional information, I have not done any STEPS. Will not taking STEPS affect my chances of changing degrees? It looks like Queen Mary and Kings does not require STEPS.

If your firm is AAA and you achieve A*AB or even A*A*B you are not eligible for Adjustment.

As for changing your course your best bet is to phone up and ask whether that is possible. However, you might want to reflect to make sure that is what you want to do and that you are not just reacting to a bad exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
If your firm is AAA and you achieve A*AB or even A*A*B you are not eligible for Adjustment.

As for changing your course your best bet is to phone up and ask whether that is possible. However, you might want to reflect to make sure that is what you want to do and that you are not just reacting to a bad exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably should have been more specific to the mention of AAA (it was for Kings), but my firm (Queen Mary) choice is AAB. Was considering if I could get into a better uni via adjustment if I did decide to choose Maths. Even after that, I am not totally sure. I just had this sudden impulse to do Maths for some reason. I think it might be cold feet or something? After realising why I wanted to do Mechanical Engineering in the first place (applied maths for mechanics which I love, design etc.) I am starting to feel more inclined to do Engineering. I do not think I should focus my performance in Physics too much, maybe a bad day or something?

And for Maths, maybe it was too sudden. To be fair I do not know if I would even do well at undergraduate maths, even though my Maths at A-level seem strong. It looks like a lot of problem solving, theory, methods and proof which is an entirely different story than just "answering the question" at A-level if you know what I mean. I do not even have any extra curricular Maths activities that I have done (some people in my class did this maths solving competition against other schools, cannot exactly remember what it was called. And also I did not manage to get a bronze reward in some thing) so when I talk to the admissions tutor it might not go that well, lol. Only thing I have done is a Sixth Form Mathematics Masterclass with RIGB.
(edited 8 years ago)
Probably should have been more specific to the mention of AAA (it was for Kings), but my firm (Queen Mary) choice is AAB. Was considering if I could get into a better uni via adjustment if I did decide to choose Maths. Even after that, I am not totally sure. I just had this sudden impulse to do Maths for some reason. I think it might be cold feet or something? After realising why I wanted to do Mechanical Engineering in the first place (applied maths for mechanics which I love, design etc.) I am starting to feel more inclined to do Engineering. I do not think I should focus my performance in Physics too much, maybe a bad day or something?

And for Maths, maybe it was too sudden. To be fair I do not know if I would even do well at undergraduate maths, even though my Maths at A-level seem strong. It looks like a lot of problem solving, theory, methods and proof which is an entirely different story than just "answering the question" at A-level if you know what I mean. I do not even have any extra curricular Maths activities that I have done (some people in my class did this maths solving competition against other schools, cannot exactly remember what it was called. And also I did not manage to get a bronze reward in some thing) so when I talk to the admissions tutor it might not go that well, lol. Only thing I have done is a Sixth Form Mathematics Master with RIGB.

Sorry I misread your post. Think on it a few days...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should I not let my exam performance in Physics discourage me from doing Mechanical Engineering? I screwed up for two of my Physics exams so hard and I probably got a low C or high D, and about same for the retake (mid C). It makes me feel so bad. I honestly feel like I should not be doing Engineering because I feel my Physics is not up to scratch, whereas on the other hand my greatest ability is Maths so it would make more sense to do a Maths degree

I don't think the results of a few physics exams are particularly relevant to your decision to study engineering. Once you're studying engineering at university, physics and maths become largely the same thing anyway, so if you're good at maths then you'll probably be fine.

And for Maths, maybe it was too sudden. To be fair I do not know if I would even do well at undergraduate maths, even though my Maths at A-level seem strong. It looks like a lot of problem solving, theory, methods and proof which is an entirely different story than just "answering the question" at A-level if you know what I mean. I do not even have any extra curricular Maths activities that I have done (some people in my class did this maths solving competition against other schools, cannot exactly remember what it was called. And also I did not manage to get a bronze reward in some thing) so when I talk to the admissions tutor it might not go that well, lol. Only thing I have done is a Sixth Form Mathematics Masterclass with RIGB.

Extra-curricular activities aren't normally seen as too important for maths courses.

Your bigger issues may be that a lot of prospective maths students will take aditional exams such as STEP. Although it seems like Kings don't consider these compulsory in every circumstance, the information on their website suggests they will strongly prefer applicants who've taken STEP.

You've got time to think about changing courses at your firm, though. It might be worth contacting them to see how they'd view this before you get your results.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Extra-curricular activities aren't normally seen as too important for maths courses.

Your bigger issues may be that a lot of prospective maths students will take aditional exams such as STEP. Although it seems like Kings don't consider these compulsory in every circumstance, the information on their website suggests they will strongly prefer applicants who've taken STEP.

You've got time to think about changing courses at your firm, though. It might be worth contacting them to see how they'd view this before you get your results.

Well after my last Further Maths exam, I doubt I'll be getting an A* in further maths to make up for my B in Physics (so A*AB I have). I have not done STEPs as well so very little chance that Adjustment will be successful for me. I think my most likely option will be is staying at my firm university.

I have talked to some maths teachers (I have not talked to the one that teaches me as he was not in when I did my exam) and form tutors, most of them have said to contact my uni and wait until results day, as most likely they will say wait until results day when I have contacted them so they can see my results.

I will be talking to my maths teacher on another day to discuss whether changing from Mechanical Engineering to Maths is a suitable / comfortable idea.

But AUDHASDOASI I really do not know if I want to do Maths. Same goes for Engineering, I am probably only doing it because I do not want to do anything else, hence the indecisiveness of choosing between Maths or Engineering. Should I just do Maths anyway because I have a much larger ground to fall back on than Mechanical Engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending