The Student Room Group

going on the pill help, where to go??

please keep anon

I want to go on the pill as i have painful periods and they are sometimes heavy. I have never been on the pill before and was wondering is it best to go to brook or my gp surgery to get on the pill for the first time? and also would they prescribe it to me even though im not sexually active?

thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
please keep anon

I want to go on the pill as i have painful periods and they are sometimes heavy. I have never been on the pill before and was wondering is it best to go to brook or my gp surgery to get on the pill for the first time? and also would they prescribe it to me even though im not sexually active?

thanks

If you are not sexually active, you are probably better off going to your GP to get it. There are different types of pills with different hormone combinations and if you explain your reasons for wanting to go on the pill (because of heavy and painful periods) they will be better able to give you a pill that is also particularly effective at making periods lighter and less painful. You can go to Brook or to any GUM clinic or sexual health centre (lots have walk in clinics, just check that the particular one you go to and the time you choose to go does contraception during that walk in clinic) however there is a chance that because of wanting to go on because of your periods rather than for contraception, they will not give you the pill and will tell you to go to your GP so the GP can rule out any underlying problems to do with your periods.

Quick Reply

Latest