The Student Room Group

Summer A level revision

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
What should I do over the summer break to be prepared for year 12 as level maths in September?

You could buy the text book and go overs some of the introductory topics in their. Don't do too much, you will have a a lot of work in the next two years. relax whilst you can
I wish the school had a bit more faith in me when it came to maths. My school only realised that I was capable of maths after yr11 mocks(but late after 5 years but oh well) by which I had to move class and get a new teacher which was annoying. I feel like I could've done way better if I was challenged earlier on. But I'm starting to like maths now. I find it quite interesting.
So If you want to learn maths OP go for it!
Original post by 04MR17
What should I do over the summer break to be prepared for year 12 as level maths in September?

Just revise GCSE algebra. Your first few C1 lessons will probably be revision of factorisation, indices etc but these should be things you won't have necessarily forgotten by the time September comes round. If you really want to get ahead, you should just go buy the Elmwood C1/2 book. That's what most sixth forms use for teaching/homework. Seriously though, make sure you relax. Unless you take a gap year, you're never going to have a summer this long ever again.
Reply 63
Original post by Yellow636
I applied for Accounting and Finance :smile:

Firmed Lancaster and insured Keele.

Did you send your dentistry application in this year then?

Oh nice good luck with exam results and all that. No i didn't i applied for something else (Pharmacy) as i didn't get AAA got B in biology :frown:
Reply 64
Original post by carliecarliecarl
I wish I was like her. Someone told me I could've done GCSE maths earlier (as I know I have more chances then to resit again and I have the ability at an early age) but I guess the school did not allow me to do it as they do not believe in me... I could've done a level maths by then ... :colonhash:

Yeah i know what you mean, a friend of mine wanted to do alevel maths at same time as gcse like his older brother did but school wouldn't let him. I guess they like to play it safe.
Reply 65
Reply 66
I would highly recommend to get the board endorsed text book and start working chapter by chapter, exercise by exercise ...

As for the advice of numerous idiotic kids, ignore it.
"Normal people" do not get 3 months off in life to doss about ...

Do as they suggest and you will have regrets, make a start as I suggest and who knows ...
(After all what do I know?)
Start going through the chapters now in C1 because you don't want to fall behind once you start or you will regret it all year.
Original post by TeeEm
I would highly recommend to get the board endorsed text book and start working chapter by chapter, exercise by exercise ...

Do as they suggest and you will have regrets, make a start as I suggest and who knows ...

Picture guy coming in with the most logical, advisable and resounding comment. Thank you, good Sir.

Here, this one's my favorite. I'm sure you could make some use of it :biggrin:

41WZlAq.png
Original post by carliecarliecarl
That right there is the guide in choosing your A level options. !
Correct
Original post by TARS
dont do this please, get a life instead
Who needs a life?
Original post by Magnesium
Just revise GCSE algebra. Your first few C1 lessons will probably be revision of factorisation, indices etc but these should be things you won't have necessarily forgotten by the time September comes round. If you really want to get ahead, you should just go buy the Elmwood C1/2 book. That's what most sixth forms use for teaching/homework. Seriously though, make sure you relax. Unless you take a gap year, you're never going to have a summer this long ever again.
The first lesson will be an exam on algebra skills actually. But that's my favorite part of maths anyway.
Original post by 04MR17

MathsWatch has a section on as level maths.

I did FM, so know stuff about a level topics. Topics like matrices, coordinate geometry, functions, differentiation, trig identities, stationary points, finding tangents and normals, trig values, trig graphs.. :smile:

Could look at ExamSolutions, many a level maths students use that :yy:
Original post by TeeEm

They can do what they want, that has been all of our points from the start.

We just said enjoy yourself a bit in the holiday. I am sure later in life they can spend their whole year working.

Also, I looked at your profile and your academic achievements are remarkable.
Reply 73
They can do what they want, that has been all of our points from the start.

We just said enjoy yourself a bit in the holiday. I am sure later in life they can spend their whole year working.

it is a free world, so every body has a choice indeed ...
I was not personally attacking you or anybody else, my comment was very general.

all the best

Also, I looked at your profile and your academic achievements are remarkable.

PS They would have been if I was 25... I am double that plus more.
Reply 74
Original post by 04MR17
CorrectWho needs a life?

We all do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending