The Student Room Group

Real Reasons for Makeup

Not sure if this is in the right forum or not, but here goes.

As a female myself, I still struggle to see how the desire to wear makeup can be justified in any other way than to hide your flaws, in-turn boosting your confidence and increasing your appeal to the opposite sex.

Perhaps it's not flaws that you are hiding, and it's simply enhancing your features; either way, it's masking what you truly look like in order to appear more attractive.

I genuinely believe it does more harm than good. Reliance upon it correlates heavily with low self-esteem, and only serves to further society's ideal of female attractiveness (which many women criticise as being unrealistic—despite contributing to the problem by applying masks to themselves).

This isn't an attempt to make girls feel bad for wearing it, but to help me understand the real reasons why it's so often worn. So many times I am given the answer of "because we want to", which doesn't actually explain why.

So, for what reason(s) do you wear makeup?

I should add that I'm not referencing makeup usage in things such as the theatre or film industry, just in casual use on a regular basis.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wear makeup because I enjoy putting it on :laugh: I've always wanted to wear makeup when I was little, not because of self-consciousness. I've always had a genuine interest in it.

Only two people (this includes me) in my house wear it. Its not as if it was 'promoted' to put makeup on in my house - what I mean by this is I wasn't encouraged in order to be pretty I must wear it. My parents are actually against it:laugh:
I wear makeup because it makes me look presentable to others. Without it I look tired and sleepy which I don't really think the world needs to see.
Reply 3
i wear makeup because i feel more beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by rhiifuu
I wear makeup because I enjoy putting it on :laugh: I've always wanted to wear makeup when I was little, not because of self-consciousness. I've always had a genuine interest in it.

Only two people (this includes me) in my house wear it. Its not as if it was 'promoted' to put makeup on in my house - what I mean by this is I wasn't encouraged in order to be pretty I must wear it. My parents are actually against it:laugh:

Do you like the actual act of brushing/drawing on your face, or the look you achieve as a result?

That's a reason I can actually comprehend. There is the creative DIY element of it, but as long as it's for fun and not out of necessity, then it's fine.
Reply 5
Original post by xsarawr
i wear makeup because i feel more beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you feel you appear more attractive? Why do you need to feel you look attractive if you wear makeup solely for yourself?
Reply 6
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I wear makeup because it makes me look presentable to others. Without it I look tired and sleepy which I don't really think the world needs to see.

So what do guys do when they look tired and sleepy?
I wear make up to boost self esteem, making me happier
Reply 8
Original post by Kiytt
Do you like the actual act of brushing/drawing on your face, or the look you achieve as a result?

That's a reason I can actually comprehend. There is the creative DIY element of it, but as long as it's for fun and not out of necessity, then it's fine.

Yeah, I enjoy the time and effort it takes. It's something I take pride whilst I'm doing my makeup. It's like a collection. I like to buy makeup (not excessively) and I get the same thrill as someone who does buying shoes for their "collection".

I can still leave the house without wearing it since I'm comfortable with my face without it. Unlike, some people who would never leave there's unless their face is covered.
Reply 9
Original post by The_Blade
I wear make up to boost self esteem, making me happier

Didn't realise guys wore makeup casually as well; colour me uninformed.

Why does it boost your self-esteem though? Aren't you comfortable enough with how you look naturally? Why do you need to wear a mask to feel happy?
I agree.
I wear makeup to make me look beautiful :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by rhiifuu
Yeah, I enjoy the time and effort it takes. It's something I take pride whilst I'm doing my makeup. It's like a collection. I like to buy makeup (not excessively) and I get the same thrill as someone who does buying shoes for their "collection".

I can still leave the house without wearing it since I'm comfortable with my face without it. Unlike, some people who would never leave there's unless their face is covered.

I personally don't see the value in all that investment, but my sister sure does. However, I know she wouldn't step foot outside without some of it applied.

I'm not sure if the shoe analogy is entirely accurate though. Shoes are an actual necessity if going outside, and the different styles don't majorly impact how you are perceived or your overall attractiveness. I get what you mean by the "thrill" part, though.
Reply 13
Original post by quentinhamilton
I wear makeup to make me look beautiful :biggrin:

Another guy who wears makeup? More common than I thought...

But my response to xasrawr applies to you also:

Original post by Kiytt
So you feel you appear more attractive? Why do you need to feel you look attractive if you wear makeup solely for yourself?
Original post by Kiytt
Didn't realise guys wore makeup casually as well; colour me uninformed.

Why does it boost your self-esteem though? Aren't you comfortable enough with how you look naturally? Why do you need to wear a mask to feel happy?

I feel more confident without people looking disgusted to my natural

Because it makes me feel better =more confident =happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by The_Blade
I feel more confident without people looking disgusted to my natural

Because it makes me feel better =more confident =happy

Posted from TSR Mobile

So your happiness is dependent upon how people perceive you? Isn't that kinda sad?
Original post by Kiytt
Another guy who wears makeup? More common than I thought...

But my response to xasrawr applies to you also:

Ok... I don't really wear makeup (and that response was a slight joke) but I sometimes use a concealer when necessary solely to appear presentable.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm really fair skinned and my skin tone is not even at all. Most days it is red and blotchy and shows imperfections easily. I wear makeup, but I wear makeup that compliments my face. I believe it gives me more confidence in myself, and I don't look so run down and tired with it on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiytt
I personally don't see the value in all that investment, but my sister sure does. However, I know she wouldn't step foot outside without some of it applied.

I'm not sure if the shoe analogy is entirely accurate though. Shoes are an actual necessity if going outside, and the different styles don't majorly impact how you are perceived or your overall attractiveness. I get what you mean by the "thrill" part, though.

I was just comparing the both by the thrill aspect. You'd be surprised by how much people actually care now our days what type of shoes you have on your feet. I don't care much for shoes unlike my friends who are obsessed with buying new pairs all the time.

A girl I know in real life says makeup is a necessity for her because she has acne and it makes her self conscious when she doesn't. But, not all people with acne prone skin wear makeup.
My sister wears a ton of it aswell :laugh: but she says she enjoys looking like that. Personally, I wouldn't wear half the amount of makeup she does.
Original post by Kiytt
So your happiness is dependent upon how people perceive you? Isn't that kinda sad?

I think this is the case for the majority of make up users.

Part of my happiness comes from feeling confident of how I look which correlates to how people perceive me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending