The Student Room Group

Boyfriend asked for space, how long should I wait?

So my boyfriend's been going through a difficult time (lots of stress at work, not sleeping much etc.) Also a lot of pressure has been put on our relationship by other people etc. We've had a few arguments in the past week, and two days ago he sent me a text saying he's not ok and he needs some space and to distance himself from the drama for a bit. The night before that we slept together and during sex he kept saying stuff like 'I want to be yours' and 'I want you to be mine' and it felt really, uhm, intimate, so the text message was pretty unexpected for me. We haven't been dating for long, but I really like him and he's said he really likes me as well.

Next Saturday I'm leaving on holiday for two weeks. I'm afraid that if I leave it till after I come back it'll be too late to salvage things. On the other hand, he's asked for space and I respect that so I don't want to contact him too soon. I was thinking of sending him a text on Wednesday or Thursday saying I'm leaving on Saturday and I'd like to have a chat with him before then. Or is contacting him of my own accord a bad idea and should I wait till he comes to me?

TL;DR -
Boyfriend asked for space but I'm leaving on holiday in a week and would like to sort things out before then. Is it a bad idea to contact him myself in a few days, or should I wait for him to make the first move (but risk going away for two weeks without having seen him)?
ye let him know you going away and say he has 2 weeks to relax. 2 weeks should be enough and he should miss you after 2 weeeks. buy him a gift also whilst your there
Reply 2
Personally, and based on experience, hard though it is I would leave the ball in his court, go on holiday and see what happens. Counter intuitively backing off is about the only way of helping a relationship which is faltering. Good luck.
Reply 3
Leave it with him but make it clear that you're there for him if he needs to talk etc.
I would leave it until the day before you go on holiday as thats what he has asked for and just before you go talk to him and just say just wanted to talk before i went away so before i leave i know we are ok, then hopefully things will sort themselves out.
Original post by Zarek
Personally, and based on experience, hard though it is I would leave the ball in his court, go on holiday and see what happens. Counter intuitively backing off is about the only way of helping a relationship which is faltering. Good luck.

This. I asked my ex bf for space twice, once it worked and the other it didn't.
I'm sure it will help to give him some space, he seems to like you a lot! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending