The Student Room Group

A Few Questions

Starting Uni in September so just a couple of silly things I'm not sure about.
When you have food in halls do you usually have food with other flat mates or do you usually go on and do your own thing? personally I'd rather do the latter but wouldn't want to seem anti-social. Also do u take food back to your room or just eat with whoever is there?
I'm pretty introverted which is partly why I'm terrified for uni about how I'll cope but how intense is it socially, I'll make an effort to go out a couple of nights with people especially during freshers (hopefully as long as I make some friends!) but I need time on my own to sort of recover but will I seem a bit of a loner if some nights I'd rather stay in my room and watch Netflix or something?

I have terrible anxiety over public speaking but will these harm how well I do on my course (history) or is it something I'll just need to get help for?
When do you know what books you'll need for the course before going or do u find out there?
I won't take it straight away but can I trust people if I decide to bring an Xbox?

Not sure if these are stupid questions haha but was just wondering about a few of them. Cheers.
Hey @The Monk,

Don't worry about asking questions, no matter if they seem unimportant or a matter of life or death!

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer a few about what I would class as halls life.

With food - it can vary. If you want to feed yourself then that'll be absolutely fine. However, you might find that it's a lot cheaper to eat with others than to buy all the stuff for yourself. You'll also find that you eat healthier meals when cooking as a group as you can afford the expensive things to keep it fresh. As I said, if you don't fancy any of this then that's totally okay.

Halls is a hectic place, most people don't eat at the same time and they're waiting for the cooking facilities to become available for their own meals. Therefore dinner tends to be a rolling machine of people. Someone will be eating while someone or a few people are cooking. I rarely had a sit down meal with flatmates in halls, only when we went out for food. You might find that as you get to know your flatmates, you might even want to do this? A lot of people will take food back to their room anyway as they'll be mid-assignment or in the middle of a TV show. :smile:

You won't seem like a loner if you stay in your room and watch Netflix occasionally. Everyone needs 'me time' and that's well respected in halls. I wouldn't advise that you do that in freshers week as it's cutting off opportunity to make friends and settle in.

With the xbox, you'd presumably be keeping this in your room with a TV? That's probably the only way that you can know it's 100% safe. I wouldn't recommend having a shared xbox in halls, but maybe in housing during your second year.

I can't answer anything about History, but I thought I'd recommend that you could potentially look at your anxiety and explore options to minimise its effects. Most, if not all, unis have support services that offer informal counselling. It might be a great opportunity to nip it in the bud? Look out for these services when you get to uni. :smile:

Any further questions for me? Just make sure you tag me, quote me or mention me (like Twitter).

RF :h:
my flatmates and I always bought our own food and cooked together in the evenings, I havent heard of people buying food together.
Reply 3
Original post by Roving Fish
Hey @The Monk,

Don't worry about asking questions, no matter if they seem unimportant or a matter of life or death!

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer a few about what I would class as halls life.

With food - it can vary. If you want to feed yourself then that'll be absolutely fine. However, you might find that it's a lot cheaper to eat with others than to buy all the stuff for yourself. You'll also find that you eat healthier meals when cooking as a group as you can afford the expensive things to keep it fresh. As I said, if you don't fancy any of this then that's totally okay.

Halls is a hectic place, most people don't eat at the same time and they're waiting for the cooking facilities to become available for their own meals. Therefore dinner tends to be a rolling machine of people. Someone will be eating while someone or a few people are cooking. I rarely had a sit down meal with flatmates in halls, only when we went out for food. You might find that as you get to know your flatmates, you might even want to do this? A lot of people will take food back to their room anyway as they'll be mid-assignment or in the middle of a TV show. :smile:

You won't seem like a loner if you stay in your room and watch Netflix occasionally. Everyone needs 'me time' and that's well respected in halls. I wouldn't advise that you do that in freshers week as it's cutting off opportunity to make friends and settle in.

With the xbox, you'd presumably be keeping this in your room with a TV? That's probably the only way that you can know it's 100% safe. I wouldn't recommend having a shared xbox in halls, but maybe in housing during your second year.

I can't answer anything about History, but I thought I'd recommend that you could potentially look at your anxiety and explore options to minimise its effects. Most, if not all, unis have support services that offer informal counselling. It might be a great opportunity to nip it in the bud? Look out for these services when you get to uni. :smile:

Any further questions for me? Just make sure you tag me, quote me or mention me (like Twitter).

RF :h:

Thank you very much, covered pretty much everything!
Original post by The Monk
When you have food in halls do you usually have food with other flat mates or do you usually go on and do your own thing?
I always used to do my own thing as it stops arguments over what to eat or who should pay for what.

personally I'd rather do the latter but wouldn't want to seem anti-social. Also do u take food back to your room or just eat with whoever is there?

I normally ate in the kitchen but we never ended up eating at the same time as my flatmates so did occasionally eat in my room.

I'm pretty introverted which is partly why I'm terrified for uni about how I'll cope but how intense is it socially, I'll make an effort to go out a couple of nights with people especially during freshers (hopefully as long as I make some friends!) but I need time on my own to sort of recover but will I seem a bit of a loner if some nights I'd rather stay in my room and watch Netflix or something?

Not every one at uni is a party animal so i wouldnt worry about if you spend time in your room by yourself every once in a while.

I have terrible anxiety over public speaking but will these harm how well I do on my course (history) or is it something I'll just need to get help for?

I d say that unis wont make you do an individual presentation in the first week, i had two group ones before that but i d say that for me just throwing myself in the deep end with public speaking did eventually massive improve my confidence so give what you can a go, not harm in trying.
When do you know what books you'll need for the course before going or do u find out there?
All depends on the uni, mine has online reading lists that anyone can access but not all do.
I won't take it straight away but can I trust people if I decide to bring an Xbox?

Well i d say don't put it in the living room straight away incase it gets broken, all depends on your flatmates i guess. I do currently have accidental damage insurance on all my tech and the tv only costs £2 a year to insure so if you re worried theres always that.

Not sure if these are stupid questions haha but was just wondering about a few of them. Cheers.

No question about uni life is a stupid one:smile:
I ve tried to answer your question in bold above:smile:
When you have food in halls do you usually have food with other flat mates or do you usually go on and do your own thing? personally I'd rather do the latter but wouldn't want to seem anti-social. Also do u take food back to your room or just eat with whoever is there?

None of these are stupid questions. They are perfectly natural and common things that you've asked so no worries. Everyone is in the same boat.

With food wise - I don't know if you meant shopping wise for the first part - but when I started off I shopped on my own on about £25 a week and just did my own thing but by half way through the year I was doing a joint shop with friends and saving money and food lasted longer. For the latter part it was a mixture of both. Sometimes we'd all have meals together if we'd cooked together or if we just wanted to chill in our rooms and eat we did. You just do your own thing. People don't question it and you won't seem anti social. Just be comfortable with what you want to do.

Genuinely just do what makes you comfortable, freshers will be a good week for you and just make the most of it. I didn't go out every night during freshers. I went to the events and then back to my room with a cuppa and a film just to chill out. Best of both worlds. Everyone is different and people will understand that. You'll meet people the same as you so don't worry. If you want to stay in and watch Netflix there is nothing wrong with that, people don't see you as a loner.

Will public speaking, you'll just adjust on your course and there is a lot of support available to you so try not to fret. It'll all fall into place and you'll be supported - I've answered a few threads with people afraid of public speaking and I've said the same to them. Your lecturers will support you!

Book wise, it depends. Some lecturers will email you before hand and give you a reading list. Others will give you a list when you get there. If you want to find out, email the lecturer of the course and ask. They'll be more than willing to answer any queries you have.

Of course you can trust people. Along my corridor in halls most the lads had an Xbox or a play station and there was never any trouble. You'll be perfectly safe.

I hope I've been able to answer some of your queries, if you have more please feel free to message me.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Others have covered most things pretty well, but what I will say is that it's best to get to grips with presentations and public speaking as soon as possible.

As a graduate, I can tell you that every single one of the interviews I have attended since I left university has involved having to give a presentation. I also regularly have to give presentations while at work.

There really is no escape from these things, and it's easiest to learn while you're at uni (or before) than when you're jobhunting.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated.
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets
Others have covered most things pretty well, but what I will say is that it's best to get to grips with presentations and public speaking as soon as possible.

As a graduate, I can tell you that every single one of the interviews I have attended since I left university has involved having to give a presentation. I also regularly have to give presentations while at work.

There really is no escape from these things, and it's easiest to learn while you're at uni (or before) than when you're jobhunting.

You are right I just have a bad habit of avoiding it at all costs but sometime or another I'll have to get used to it.

Hello! :biggrin: In my flat, we all had our own food and cooked whenever there was a set of hobs free (two ovens between eight people wasn't ideal at times). Plus, two of us were vegetarians, so there was no way we could share food or even cooking utensils with the others (although we did give each other cooking tips :tongue:). Also, don't worry, most people take their food to their room; after the first three weeks, we rarely ate in the kitchen together as coursework started coming in (although one flatmate never left the kitchen and would do everything but sleep in there!). And it's also fine to stay in your room watching Netflix, honestly! :biggrin: I did exactly the same thing, watching back-to-back The Thick Of It, Disney films, etc.

Don't worry about the public speaking! Loads of people hate speaking, and the tutors understand this. You could just let them know you're anxious before the speaking, and they might help you out a bit. You could also practice speaking to yourself, then to a small group of people, until you feel comfortable with the speech. I had the same thing at GCSE. I would have jelly legs, be hardly audible, go redder than a tomato, say "erm" every few words, and it was an absolute nightmare. But I don't find them at all bad now (due to my voluntary job at the zoo, where I started off doing one-to-one talks to people in the education centre, building it up until eventually I was confident enough to do Q&A sessions to large crowds and school groups. I applied partly because I knew I needed to get over my fear of speaking to people ready for uni, and it has worked, as I always get firsts for them!). Just practice, practice, practice, until eventually it feels like you're not actually giving a speech! :biggrin: Good luck!

My uni (Plymouth, don't know where you are) sent us the list of free e-Books on Moodle when they sent us a welcome back online after enrollment, and on our introductory lecture, they gave a list of recommended reading.

Good luck with university- if you have any more questions, please do PM me to ask!
As you say you're pretty shy; 99% of the people that go to university don't judge and the ones that do were normally judged at school. Join a sports team, you'll instantly have loads of friends. You'll have three groups: your flat mates, your sports teammates and the people you meet in your lectures/seminars.

And about the food situation do what you want. If someones in the kitchen at the same time sit down and see if they want to join you.

1) Generally people tend to do their own thing with food- people like to eat different things and often have different schedules. If you have a sociable flat who gel well you might have the occasional meal cooked together, a christmas meal in the last week of the Autumn semester seems quite common. Whether you eat together or in your own room again depends on how sociable everyone is and/or how busy they are.
2) It's very likely there will be some nights, no matter how sociable a flat is, where people sit in on their own and chill, however during freshers people might wonder why you are sat in your room if they are all in the kitchen as they are likely to be most nights of freshers- my experience of freshers was that my flat did their own thing during the day and came out at night.
3) And it would make sense to get help for your anxiety with public speaking because its expected you are prepared to speak up in front of a group in seminars, and as Origami Bullets has said its important beyond uni too.

These aren't silly questions! I wish someone had asked these before I moved to uni last year, because I was too shy to ask them haha :smile:

In my flat we used to eat together at the table once a week, sometimes we all cooked together and made a big stew or something, other times we all cooked our different things but just sat together to catch up. We were all pretty close in my flat though, I know other people who used to do this in their flat but after a few months stopped doing it.
Everyone will be in and out of uni at different times anyway, you might find yourself being the only one in your flat when you're cooking anyway.

I was really introverted before I went to uni, and without really trying to change uni has made me much more confident. I wouldn't eat infront of anyone before going to uni and just wanted to stay in my room, but now I'm a completely different person :smile:
I didn't make the effort with Freshers events as I knew it wasn't my thing, and my flatmates were 100% okay with me not wanting to go out. People are humans and they will understand if you don't want to do things, so don't feel like you have to.

As far as public speaking goes, I still find it difficult, but for my course we had to present an essay for 40% of our module mark, so I genuinely just got on with it and pretended like it didn't bother me. Fake it until you make it haha :biggrin: I ended up with a First overall in first year, and I had a few presentations to give, so you can still do well even if you struggle.

We got told what books we needed during our first week of introductory lectures. I would definitely say that you don't need to buy them all, stay behind and ask the lecturers which are the core books and just buy them. All the others you can get when you need at the library.

We had a wii in our flat and there was never a problem with people spilling drinks on it or damaging it :smile:
You are right I just have a bad habit of avoiding it at all costs but sometime or another I'll have to get used to it.

I found this INCREDIBLY helpful when it came to improving my presentation technique
http://copperbadge.livejournal.com/3406378.html

The emphasis on just KNOWING what you want to talk about and feeling knowledgeable and comfortable enough to talk around the topic is a game changer. Presenting is not learning and reciting a script, it's sharing information that you find interesting to people who are interested in a way that they understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending