The Student Room Group

David Cameron dismisses second Scottish Referendum before 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by offhegoes
Which refers to which?

There seems little point in telling you. If you are incapable of reading the articles to find that out you will be incapable of reading them fully.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Am I missing any?

You forgot one that details that oil tax revenues will only be one tenth what the SNP predicted during the referendum.
Reply 63
Original post by Good bloke
There seems little point in telling you. If you are incapable of reading the articles to find that out you will be incapable of reading them fully.

How many essays have you written in which you just dump all your references in the appendix and don't bother indicating where they have been used?

If he is serious enough to want anyone to consider his points as anything other than opinionated speculation then he ought to be able to link each to a specific source.

After all, it would take him less time to reference his statements properly once than it would for each person wanting to check the validity to have to play hunt the source.

You may say I'm being too demanding for a simple internet forum, but I'd say if he's prepared to give sources then why not do it properly?

And by the way, judgemental much? I've listened to and seen far too many people confuse a poll for a statistically significant study, or a newpaper opinion for a fact, or the Daily Mail for a newspaper... to want to not check sources.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ibzombie96
That is, of course, correct; it is not, however easily changed by one member of the organisation (even though they may be a senior member). One cannot easily accept an invitation to a party and then think it doable to ask for the location, music etc to be changed. In the case of the EU, we may get a successful deal, given our position and the precedent set by France a couple of years ago, but as it stands our position with reference to the EU is not unlike the SNP's position with reference to independence.

What precedent are you referring to?
You may say I'm being too demanding for a simple internet forum,

Frankly, I'm surprised you asked the question. I'd have thought he whole world must be aware that the SNP's economic case was a pile of lies with ridiculous assumptions, that the very idea of automatic entry to the EU for Scotland is preposterous, and that a currency union was going to be a non-starter from the UK's point of view. I assume you are coming to the debate a year or so late.
Reply 66
Frankly, I'm surprised you asked the question. I'd have thought he whole world must be aware that the SNP's economic case was a pile of lies with ridiculous assumptions, that the very idea of automatic entry to the EU for Scotland is preposterous, and that a currency union was going to be a non-starter from the UK's point of view. I assume you are coming to the debate a year or so late.

Not at all, I voted in the referendum and spent a long time carefully considering my decision. Having been a firm undecided at least a year before I had to cast my vote I believe I considered both sides' arguments carefully, and at all points when colleagues tried to sway me I asked for sources on points that I considered to not be self-evident.

I ask partly because the issue is of ongoing relevence to me and I want to stay informed, and partly because I don't believe that complex issues can honestly be summed up in such a simple fashion.
I don't believe that complex issues can honestly be summed up in such a simple fashion.

There is nothing complex about the UK party leaders' commitment that there would be no currency union, and nothing complex about the reasons why it would be a terrible idea for the UK. The same applies to an automatic entry to the EU. The lies and silly assumptions may be more hidden but they are pretty obvious to people of even the meanest intelligence, and have been proved top be such. This is why I'm surprised you had to ask, just as if they were new or unproven arguments to you.
Reply 68
There is nothing complex about the UK party leaders' commitment that there would be no currency union, and nothing complex about the reasons why it would be a terrible idea for the UK. The same applies to an automatic entry to the EU. The lies and silly assumptions may be more hidden but they are pretty obvious to people of even the meanest intelligence, and have been proved top be such. This is why I'm surprised you had to ask, just as if they were new or unproven arguments to you.

The more you tell me how obvious it all is and how even someone of the meanest intelligence should see it to be so, the more likely I am to insist that these statements be backed up by more than just utterings of "everyone knows that..."

Firstly if it is so ridiculous simple then it should be pretty easy to provide evidence that it is so. Secondly it would be nice for you to perhaps assume that I wouldnmt be asking if I were convinced.
The more you tell me how obvious it all is and how even someone of the meanest intelligence should see it to be so, the more likely I am to insist that these statements be backed up by more than just utterings of "everyone knows that..."

Firstly if it is so ridiculous simple then it should be pretty easy to provide evidence that it is so. Secondly it would be nice for you to perhaps assume that I wouldnmt be asking if I were convinced.

Well, the SNP have to get their votes from somewhere. You'll do.
Which refers to which?

The headlines are pretty self explanatory.

For example, the first one say 'salmond spent £20k of taxpayers money hiding the fact he didn't have legal advice on the EU.'
Reply 73
Well, the SNP have to get their votes from somewhere. You'll do.

Nice sidestep.
Reply 74
I don't really care - I wouldn't be surprised if the SNP thought they were entitled to "another go" in the next decade because they are the kind of political party that would be so insufferable as to demand that. however, as I'm suggesting, I don't think they're entitled to one any time soon. they lost it, and they should forget about this issue for a while.
Full fiscal autonomy?

You do realise that the SNP made up their numbers and Scotland's now financially screwed since oil prices have plummeted?

Is it the intention of all SNP supporters to go into self destruct mode and screw over the poorest of society even more?

Isn't it about time the SNP started to govern instead of constantly complain?

They said cameron should call their bluff on fiscal autonomy, i.e. let them have it, then watch as support for the SNP plummets because people realise they need to be in the union
Original post by scrotgrot
What precedent are you referring to?

The Luxembourg Compromise - it was a deal reached in 1996/1997 (can't remember, can't be bothered to look up) wherein a long, protracted disagreement between France and the EU meant that if a member of the EU felt its national interests were being fundamentally undermined/harmed by the EU, the EU cannot just eject them - negotiations must go one until a compromise is reached.
Original post by IIEquinoxII
They said cameron should call their bluff on fiscal autonomy, i.e. let them have it, then watch as support for the SNP plummets because people realise they need to be in the union

You're average SNP supporter still believes in oil funds, secret oil fields off the west coast and are generally economically illiterate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
The average supporter of independence has no interest in fiscal autonomy as part of the UK. Some think Scotland will be wealthier. Some think it will be poorer. They all just want freedom to make their own choices, mistakes included.

The economy is not the most important factor for the majority of independence voters.
Reply 79
The headlines are pretty self explanatory.

For example, the first one say 'salmond spent £20k of taxpayers money hiding the fact he didn't have legal advice on the EU.'

That first link is an article from a Tory-biased, anti-independence newspaper. Within it are precisely zero links to unbiased sources on this.

Is this not the same Telegraph that just recently lied about Gove's hospital visit?

Are the rest of the 'references' from more reliable sources?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending