The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have a look into the many alternatives to university? I know uni seems like the easiest/ safest/ best option when you're doing A levels, but it's a lot of debt for potentially very little gain (if you go to a rubbish uni/ do a doss subject/ get a poor grade). From what you've said, it sounds like maybe exams aren't really your thing - something more practical such as an engineering apprenticeship may suit you better. As I speak, there's an advert at the top of TSR for IT apprentices at CGI. During my internship this summer at Rolls-Royce, I've met several of their higher apprentices and it sounds like they're on a very good scheme - decent pay, excellent career prospects, very well structured training programme, and some opportunities to do a degree (paid for by the company) later on if they do well.
Reply 21
Original post by Sam Walters
I'm going seem unsympathetic harsh mostly because I am.

Its your own fault. I managed I think 6 GCSE`s. I failed my first set of a-levels. But now I'm 24 I'm sat on a HNC in Mechanical engineering at distinction grade. An extended diploma in engineering D*D*D* and 3 A-levels at A* grade. Maths, further maths and physics.

I made it happen. You can too.

Your options are to go to a piss poor university through clearing. Heck you even picked Aston as where you wanted to go as your first choice. Have some level of aspiration.

You can go back into education, make no excuses and get the job done and go to a good university. Ultimately you are going to put yourself in a lot of debt. Don't you want something decent in return for that?

Admittedly it is totally my fault for failing the first time and trust me no one has been more harsh on myself than me, but I appreciate your honesty. I have been so motivated by my failure because (this may sound stupid to you) but I never understood the true importance of a level until it has just passed and I really want to be as successful as possible. Can you give me some information on how and where you got your diploma from
Dont worry if you havent done Economics or BS at A level. I hopefully will be studying the subject in September and at all the open days i went to, the first year content was basically the A level content (which i have done) so youll be fine as at most Uni's Econ A level isnt a pre-requisite
Original post by Waz123
Admittedly it is totally my fault for failing the first time and trust me no one has been more harsh on myself than me, but I appreciate your honesty. I have been so motivated by my failure because (this may sound stupid to you) but I never understood the true importance of a level until it has just passed and I really want to be as successful as possible. Can you give me some information on how and where you got your diploma from

Oh no I learnt the hard way and was in a very similar position to you.

A local college. I worked for a year then decided to carry on in education. I did my a-levels alongside my diploma. I was put on the HNC by my last work place post college. I was planning to go to university however now I have the ILL trying to head hunt me so that may be put off for another year.
Reply 24
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Have a look into the many alternatives to university? I know uni seems like the easiest/ safest/ best option when you're doing A levels, but it's a lot of debt for potentially very little gain (if you go to a rubbish uni/ do a doss subject/ get a poor grade). From what you've said, it sounds like maybe exams aren't really your thing - something more practical such as an engineering apprenticeship may suit you better. As I speak, there's an advert at the top of TSR for IT apprentices at CGI. During my internship this summer at Rolls-Royce, I've met several of their higher apprentices and it sounds like they're on a very good scheme - decent pay, excellent career prospects, very well structured training programme, and some opportunities to do a degree (paid for by the company) later on if they do well.

I have already looked into a few apprenticeships but for me the only reason for me not looking more is because I think it can be risky especially if no matter how hard I try there are going to be people out there with much better grades and a degree. also telling my parent that I don't want to go to university might be a huge disappointment (I come from an uneducated family)
Reply 25
Original post by Sam Walters
Oh no I learnt the hard way and was in a very similar position to you.

A local college. I worked for a year then decided to carry on in education. I did my a-levels alongside my diploma. I was put on the HNC by my last work place post college. I was planning to go to university however now I have the ILL trying to head hunt me so that may be put off for another year.

ill??
Reply 26
Original post by Waz123
Im 19 years old and have retaken my last year and had to self teach because my school didn't let me attend lessons. Last year when I got my result I achieved a CDE in maths chemistry and physics and was extremely disappointed.

This year i started revising around February and was trying much harder but i believe think my revision technique was wrong but i think i might have got - B in maths C in chemistry and D in physics. I don't know what happened but two weeks before the exams started i started to feel depressed and had anxiety for no reason, but i was still getting As in past papers.
I applied for chemical engineering at aston university with an entry requirement of BBB.

i have been thinking and come to the conclusion that i might not be suited to do any engineering degree even tho i love maths (but i hate physics). So i have been doing research for the last few weeks and still haven't come with an answer on what i want to do as a degree and in life.

After looking around I was first interested in a maths degree because i am interested in maths but since failing twice i have real doubt if I can do it as a degree. Then i thought of doing computer science but i have never done programming and recently i have thought about accounting and finance but i have never done accounting, economics or business at a level (only gcse business) and my tariff points is only 240.

Resitting again is not an option!!! I have been extremely depressed and feel as if i will never be happy again. i feel extremely disappointed and know that i have everyone down and i don't know what to do in life. I really need help and advise on what to do..........

(and please no trolls or people who are just going to say im stupid and should just work in asda)

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but have you looked into foundation years?
Reply 28
Original post by kkboyk
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but have you looked into foundation years?

yes I have but foundation degrees are mostly for people who have come from completely different backgrounds but the only foundation degrees i have been interested in are maths related such as accounting or computer science and even then people say i can go into them course with just a b in level maths and be fine without a level computing or economics/business/accounting.

someone already suggested geology but if you know of any other courses to look into i would appreciate it
Original post by Waz123
I have already looked into a few apprenticeships but for me the only reason for me not looking more is because I think it can be risky especially if no matter how hard I try there are going to be people out there with much better grades and a degree. also telling my parent that I don't want to go to university might be a huge disappointment (I come from an uneducated family)

How is it risky? You have a good chance of being offered a 'proper' job with the company afterwards (or at least you do if you're doing your apprenticeship with a large employer, not so sure if it's with a smaller company) and since you're not paying anything you're not risking anything other than your time...

Most people with better grades or a degree won't be applying for apprenticeships - so there's not much need to worry about too much competition from other applicants :smile: Once you've completed your apprenticeship and worked for a couple of years, employers aren't all that bothered whether you have a degree or not - experience becomes more important. There's always the option to do a degree later on anyway :smile:

Meh, just bear it in mind as something to consider :smile:
Reply 30

Congrats!!
would you say it is worth going to a lower uni now in a course such as computer science or accounting and finance or maths with no experience, or not going university now and choosing a different path that will take longer.

bearing in mind that my family would be disappointed if i didn't go university
Accounting and finance would be perfect as the math is very straightforward. You still need good essay skills though so how is your English? Also I would take an extra a level like general studies which is easy for the ucas points. Or maybe consider the epq if you are sure you have the ability for a top uni as top unis ofc wouldn't accept GS.
Reply 32
Original post by dragonkeeper999
How is it risky? You have a good chance of being offered a 'proper' job with the company afterwards (or at least you do if you're doing your apprenticeship with a large employer, not so sure if it's with a smaller company) and since you're not paying anything you're not risking anything other than your time...

Most people with better grades or a degree won't be applying for apprenticeships - so there's not much need to worry about too much competition from other applicants :smile: Once you've completed your apprenticeship and worked for a couple of years, employers aren't all that bothered whether you have a degree or not - experience becomes more important. There's always the option to do a degree later on anyway :smile:

Meh, just bear it in mind as something to consider :smile:

i definitely would, thank you!
have you ever had any experience will an apprenticeship or do you know anyone that has? because i have cousin who studied mechatronics at uni and decided after his first year that an apprenticeship would be better and found it difficult to find a place
Reply 33
Original post by Waz123
yes I have but foundation degrees are mostly for people who have come from completely different backgrounds but the only foundation degrees i have been interested in are maths related such as accounting or computer science and even then people say i can go into them course with just a b in level maths and be fine without a level computing or economics/business/accounting.

someone already suggested geology but if you know of any other courses to look into i would appreciate it

I meant foundation year not the degree, which is a year which you'll go over A-level materials and a bit beyond before starting a degree.

http://www2.hull.ac.uk/ug/2014-courses/computer-science-f.aspx
http://courses.southwales.ac.uk/courses/974-bsc-hons-computer-science-including-foundation-year
http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/foundation-year-in-computing.aspx
http://www.essex.ac.uk/coursefinder/course_details.aspx?course=BSC+G403

There are loads more universities that offer this, and there are some for other courses (e.g. engineering).

Edit: you do meet the requirements to get into the foundation years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Waz123
have you ever had any experience will an apprenticeship or do you know anyone that has? because i have cousin who studied mechatronics at uni and decided after his first year that an apprenticeship would be better and found it difficult to find a place

Don't know anyone personally, my only experience is of meeting the higher apprentices at Rolls-Royce this summer. They all seem to be very happy with their apprenticeship - it pays reasonably well, pretty much all of them will get offered a job with RR afterwards, the work is interesting and varied, and there is a clear structure and training included in the apprenticeship. From what I've heard this summer, they've been struggling to get good applicants for some apprenticeship roles (particularly electrical engineering I think) so I don't think the competition is all that fierce. Only thing it, you'd have to be happy living in Derby, I'm not sure what their apprenticeship options are like elsewhere in the country.
Original post by Waz123
Im 19 years old and have retaken my last year and had to self teach because my school didn't let me attend lessons. Last year when I got my result I achieved a CDE in maths chemistry and physics and was extremely disappointed.

This year i started revising around February and was trying much harder but i believe think my revision technique was wrong but i think i might have got - B in maths C in chemistry and D in physics. I don't know what happened but two weeks before the exams started i started to feel depressed and had anxiety for no reason, but i was still getting As in past papers.
I applied for chemical engineering at aston university with an entry requirement of BBB.

i have been thinking and come to the conclusion that i might not be suited to do any engineering degree even tho i love maths (but i hate physics). So i have been doing research for the last few weeks and still haven't come with an answer on what i want to do as a degree and in life.

After looking around I was first interested in a maths degree because i am interested in maths but since failing twice i have real doubt if I can do it as a degree. Then i thought of doing computer science but i have never done programming and recently i have thought about accounting and finance but i have never done accounting, economics or business at a level (only gcse business) and my tariff points is only 240.

Resitting again is not an option!!! I have been extremely depressed and feel as if i will never be happy again. i feel extremely disappointed and know that i have everyone down and i don't know what to do in life. I really need help and advise on what to do..........

(and please no trolls or people who are just going to say im stupid and should just work in asda)

You don't need programming experience for comp science. They will teach you that first year. although knowing some is an advantage. Not to worry though, you can easily self teach programming. There are a lot of resources online

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by FatherTime
You don't need programming experience for comp science. They will teach you that first year. although knowing some is an advantage. Not to worry though, you can easily self teach programming. There are a lot of resources online

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a litte experience with HTML and python but it is just the basic "Hello World" and stuff. Do you study computer science ?
Original post by Waz123
I have a litte experience with HTML and python but it is just the basic "Hello World" and stuff. Do you study computer science ?

No, I study Maths. But we had the option to do a programming course in the first year (have friends doing CS and similar things), granted it was scientific programming with Java. They didn't assume any prior programming knowledge. My friends taking CS told me the same.
The first thing we learnt was "Hello World", how to do simple arithmetic, loops e.t.c.

It wasn't for me so I dropped it. But i know a lot of people who also had that as their friend exposure to programming and enjoyed it (and went on to do more programming), from what I heard it wasn't too difficult.

If you're interested in CS and programming, I'd say, go on google/youtube and learn some basic things, see if it's something you'd want to learn about. Then call up CS universities and ask questions about prior knowledge etc cos it may vary.
Original post by Waz123

Dont. Ive been there. Done that. Unless you fancy being stuck in a job on crap wages at the lower spectrum of your discipline.
It kinda seems like you're just looking for any course to do in uni which is pointless if you're not actually gonna be interested in it. I would suggest that you go on http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/?ReturnUrl=%2fquestionnaire.aspx where you fill out a questionnaire based on your interests and that which will lead you to courses that you may find interesting. Don't just look at things you've heard of, read everything and see what you think will be better for you then you can go on to see universities for the course and entry requirements and so on.

And btw, you will need to make an account but its like 10 seconds and they don't hassle you with emails. Hope this helps :u:

Latest

Trending

Trending