The Student Room Group

Grades and offers

In general (with the exception of oxbridge and LSE) does having grades that exceed the minimum requirements mean you will most likely get an offer. Assuming your personal statement is not horrible and if you have an interview it goes alright.

In my case I have A*A*B (not predictions, they are achieved grades) and the most of the places I am applying to want AAB-AAA
Original post by Perplexing Pleb
In general (with the exception of oxbridge and LSE) does having grades that exceed the minimum requirements mean you will most likely get an offer. Assuming your personal statement is not horrible and if you have an interview it goes alright.

In my case I have A*A*B (not predictions, they are achieved grades) and the most of the places I am applying to want AAB-AAA

The problem you will have is from the AAA universities who have a baseline requirement of a minimum of A across the board, which you don't have. For some universities the A*A* will make up for that, but for others it won't, and you're best off doing your research beforehand and asking how you would be regarded.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The problem you will have is from the AAA universities who have a baseline requirement of a minimum of A across the board, which you don't have. For some universities the A*A* will make up for that, but for others it won't, and you're best off doing your research beforehand and asking how you would be regarded.

Thanks for the fast reply, when I said the highest they wanted was AAA-AAB I meant those are the exact entry requirements. I take it that means the stars should make up for it.
Thanks for the fast reply, when I said the highest they wanted was AAA-AAB I meant those are the exact entry requirements. I take it that means the stars should make up for it.

If that is a range from one university, the lower offer is reserved for what are known as contextual offers, i.e. offers they make to people from exceptionally low achieving schools or with some other disadvantage. You should always assume that the higher offer is the one which will be given, and in that case, as I said, you don't meet it and need to check with them.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If that is a range from one university, the lower offer is reserved for what are known as contextual offers, i.e. offers they make to people from exceptionally low achieving schools or with some other disadvantage. You should always assume that the higher offer is the one which will be given, and in that case, as I said, you don't meet it and need to check with them.

Again thanks for the swift reply. I will phone the uni's with those requirements tomorrow to see what they have to say.
Again thanks for the swift reply. I will phone the uni's with those requirements tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Good luck. I'm sure many will be fine with your excellent grades. It's just not something you can take for granted with all of them.

If they give you a positive response on the phone, make sure you get it in writing as well 'just in case'.
Original post by ageshallnot
If they give you a positive response on the phone, make sure you get it in writing as well 'just in case'.

They all said its fine without sounding hazy, but yea thats a good idea.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending