The Student Room Group

Will transferring uni affect my student loan/grant?

Hi,
I'm currently studying first year Biochem. I'm considering transferring to a different course next year, for first year entry (which will be dependent on me getting 70% this year). So, if I start a different course at a different uni from Year 1 next September, will I still be entitled to the maintenance grants that I'm getting right now? Since grants will be scrapped for 2015/16 students, I'm just wondering whether this will affect me as a transfer student. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by Petulia
Hi,
I'm currently studying first year Biochem. I'm considering transferring to a different course next year, for first year entry (which will be dependent on me getting 70% this year). So, if I start a different course at a different uni from Year 1 next September, will I still be entitled to the maintenance grants that I'm getting right now? Since grants will be scrapped for 2015/16 students, I'm just wondering whether this will affect me as a transfer student. Any help would be appreciated!
You wouldn't be a transfer student, because you are starting again. So if students starting in September 2016 don't get maintenance grants, you wouldn't either.
The above is right - if you start a new course, you're affected by any new rules regarding finance.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
The above is right - if you start a new course, you're affected by any new rules regarding finance.

Thanks for answering. Just one more thing, my current course is 3 years long, but if I leave at the end of first year and start first year on a 4 year course, will I be still entitled to tuition fee loans for the full 4 years of the new course?
Original post by Petulia
Thanks for answering. Just one more thing, my current course is 3 years long, but if I leave at the end of first year and start first year on a 4 year course, will I be still entitled to tuition fee loans for the full 4 years of the new course?

Yes. it's length of course + 1 - previous years study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending