The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Computing and IT?

Anyone doing/done this course?
I'm interested in doing this course but unsure whether I can actually do it.
Ideally I would like to be working around apps, software engineering or video games. I used to work in a video game company as a tester and I noticed the higher paid jobs are the programmers.
In my spare time I've managed to build PC's for me and some friends, managed to build a POS system for my family business, learned how to create websites and currently learning Python. Also a lot of graphic design and photography but I don't think that will help here.

Only thing that's bothering me is maths, how much of that is involved with the course because I'm average at maths.
Also are there any things I can look at to get an idea of the course like what subjects could I get a headstart on
Reply 1
Allow me to alleviate both of your concerns.

Not only do you not have to do very advanced maths on the course if you don't want to, but you also could put those design skills to use. For a start, on the main Computing & IT degree, you have a choice between MU123 - Discovering Mathematics and MST124 - Essential Mathematics 1 at stage 1. MU123 is essentially just revision of GCSE with a bit of AS-level. MST124 is more equivalent to A-level and early university mathematics. Your choice of these is the only dedicated Maths module you have to study, although some later modules do make use of your mathematical skills.

Alternatively, you could enroll on Computing & IT and a Second Subject. This allows you to choose from a variety of appropriate second subjects to make up half of your degree, and one of those options is Design. If you choose to study Computing & IT and Design then you do not have to study any maths modules at all, as your stage 1 maths module and the module TM129 - Technologies in Practice are replaced by a design module. This does mean that you will be studying half as many computing modules in later stages in order to study design modules however, so it'd really depend on what you're more interested in.

A prospectus extract for Computing & IT is available here: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/Courses/media/Courses/Qualification/Infographics/Q62.pdf and one for Computing & IT and a Second Subject here: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/Courses/media/Courses/Qualification/Infographics/Q67.pdf
There is a lot of variety available in what to study, and I imagine you would be most interested in the Computer Science and/or Software Development routes at stage 2. Solutions Development may also interest you if you're interested in creating websites.

Good luck, and feel free to ask for more detail!
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I studied and completed a BSc in Computing & IT and Business ... there wasn't lots of Math involved ... so if you ask me go for Computing & IT if you like it - you can get a course about Java which is about programming ... I think however if you can program/develop a code then you can do Math pretty well, they pretty much coincide in their concept, but anyway I hope I helped you with your question.

Happy New Year!

Quick Reply

Latest