The Student Room Group

What do you think best method of organising gym clothes i.e freshness

Now I am a single guy who uses washing machine once a week.

Obviously going to the gym makes clothes sweaty so not being used more than once but at the same time after 5-10 minutes in a gym you begin working up a sweat anyway.

I am thinking of ways to extend life of gym clothes without them stinking badly, I was thinking of something like steaming my clothes with my handheld steam cleaner to get rid of the sweat smell, put the clothes out overnight on washing line to smell better and wearing t shirts from the previous day i.e right now unless its hot summer I wear a t shirt for 2 days then put it in washing machine, so every 2nd day I could wear that t shirt to the gym so have at least 3 t shirts I can wear per week to the gym.

May sound nasty to some people but to me if its not sticky or smelly with sweat whats the point of putting on a fresh t shirt for the gym for it to be sweaty 10 minutes later anyway.

What are your thoughts?
Reply 1
I wear t shirts from the day before to the gym since I'm going to sweat anyway, it doesn't need to start clean

But mostly, just do more washing if you need to, it's not like it's hard to do
Reply 2
Original post by BKS
I wear t shirts from the day before to the gym since I'm going to sweat anyway, it doesn't need to start clean

But mostly, just do more washing if you need to, it's not like it's hard to do

That was my plan but its more that I dont fill up the machine as is unless I wash bedsheets or dressing gown but I didnt want to wear something once and make it heavily sweaty and have it sit in machine for a few days, and machine uses energy and constant washes will wear down the fabrics etc.
Original post by drbluebox
That was my plan but its more that I dont fill up the machine as is unless I wash bedsheets or dressing gown but I didnt want to wear something once and make it heavily sweaty and have it sit in machine for a few days, and machine uses energy and constant washes will wear down the fabrics etc.

You have two options - buy more clothes and do less washes, or do more washes with the same number of clothes. I have 5 tops and two pairs of leggings i work out in and i wash my clothes 1-2 times a week. I dont get the issue
Reply 4
Original post by hannahhaworth
You have two options - buy more clothes and do less washes, or do more washes with the same number of clothes. I have 5 tops and two pairs of leggings i work out in and i wash my clothes 1-2 times a week. I dont get the issue

I dont like waste, washing more would just mean more usage, and the more times you wash clothes the shorter they last.

I do have plenty of t shirts but dont want a machine full of smelly clothes for up to a week.

I grew up poor so like to be thrifty, I put things like scourers in the washing machine as they can be reused.

Like I say I dont want to put on a freshly washed t shirt just to be sweaty like 10 minutes later as thats just a waste, id rather use it multiple times.
Reply 5
You're kind of making an issue where almost everyone else doesn't have one, you just have to decide to do something you don't think is ideal or stay as you are

I usually only have time to do washings at the weekend so my Monday gym stuff sits til Saturday, not that big a deal
let it hang to dry then. unless you're dirty when you start and sweat a LUDICROUS amount this should be fine. I can wear tops 3-4 times (regular clothes not gym tops) if I let them air between.
Reply 7
Original post by hannahhaworth
let it hang to dry then. unless you're dirty when you start and sweat a LUDICROUS amount this should be fine. I can wear tops 3-4 times (regular clothes not gym tops) if I let them air between.

It doesnt stink stink its more it smells like clammy hands, I sweat enough wearing my grey t shirt that I had patches under arms and on the back but the t shirt didnt stink heavily but didnt smell fresh either.
Original post by drbluebox
It doesnt stink stink its more it smells like clammy hands, I sweat enough wearing my grey t shirt that I had patches under arms and on the back but the t shirt didnt stink heavily but didnt smell fresh either.

Just hang them up (not in wardrobe) then and wear them again for the gym like 2 days later. You're not going to be that close to anyone in the gym anyway
I wash all my t-shirts at the end of the week, but my leggings/singlet/shorts I wash in the gym shower and spin off in the swimming costume drier. Then I just hang them up when I get home and they're dry in a day or so.

Honestly, if you need to do a second wash each week, then its not a waste if you do a second wash.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wear sports stuff more than once. I do work out outside rather than in a gym in close proximity to people but tbh I'd prob wear them twice anyway. If you're not dumping them damp onto a floor so they stay damp then a spray of deodorant will freshen them up enough for a work out. Like you said you'll be sweaty within a few minutes of arriving anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest