The Student Room Group

looking for a job

I'm 17 and I've been looking for a job...
everywhere I've applied so far have rejected me (greggs, next, tesco, primark)
can anyone recommend where else to look?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bubblegumcat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any qualifications?(e.g. GCSE's)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mcdonalds, KFC and other fast food restaurants will take you without exprience and they are almost always hiring. Or look for kitchen porter jobs in local resturants. Look on indeed and gumtree and apply for every hospitality position in your area which says 'experience not required.
Original post by Mayhem™
Do you have any qualifications?(e.g. GCSE's)

yes, I'm currently doing a levels as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by driftawaay
Mcdonalds, KFC and other fast food restaurants will take you without exprience and they are almost always hiring. Or look for kitchen porter jobs in local resturants. Look on indeed and gumtree and apply for every hospitality position in your area which says 'experience not required.

thanks, I'll have a look. also do supermarkets only want people with experience? their job descriptions never seem to ask for people with experience ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks, I'll have a look. also do supermarkets only want people with experience? their job descriptions never seem to ask for people with experience ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, its possible to get into Tesco/Aldi without experience but it is harder, lots of people who do have previous retail experience apply so you have way better chances applying for fast food places (aka the ****tiest job) as they have really high turnover and are ALWAYS hiring and they dont expect experience. Then if you have had a fast food job, you have customer service experience so you will have better chances of applying to supermarkets or other retail places later on.
No, its possible to get into Tesco/Aldi without experience but it is harder, lots of people who do have previous retail experience apply so you have way better chances applying for fast food places (aka the ****tiest job) as they have really high turnover and are ALWAYS hiring and they dont expect experience. Then if you have had a fast food job, you have customer service experience so you will have better chances of applying to supermarkets or other retail places later on.

I see, I have a little bit of retail exp but not enough I guess :frown: why are the fast food job the worst?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see, I have a little bit of retail exp but not enough I guess :frown: why are the fast food job the worst?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because its the most fast paced (clue in the name - FAST food), you run around all day, people treat you like ****, your clothes and hair get greasy and smelly every day and if you get put in the kitchen you have to fry things and get even smellier and burn yourself etc.

The only job that is below fast food is being a kitchen porter, that is the absolute bottom position in a resturant.
Because its the most fast paced (clue in the name - FAST food), you run around all day, people treat you like ****, your clothes and hair get greasy and smelly every day and if you get put in the kitchen you have to fry things and get even smellier and burn yourself etc.

The only job that is below fast food is being a kitchen porter, that is the absolute bottom position in a resturant.

ohh :/ do fast food places let students have time off when they have exams ? I think workplaces do this right? or am I wrong ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ohh :/ do fast food places let students have time off when they have exams ? I think workplaces do this right? or am I wrong ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well its flexible and probably a zero hours contract anyway so yeah you just do less hours or no hours if you are having exams, everyone works less hours during exam times.
well its flexible and probably a zero hours contract anyway so yeah you just do less hours or no hours if you are having exams, everyone works less hours during exam times.

thanks for the info :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I was in the same position as you last year! I would say try John Lewis/Waitrose, M&S and also Boots.I had never had a job before either just the odd bit of babysitting work and a tiny bit of work experience. I managed to get interviews at all three. I ended up accepting my offer from M&S and it was great. Just moved to uni and now work in a different store.

Those three work out just as well for those who have never had jobs because even though there is space on the online application form to write down previous employment, you have to complete an online test and that's what determines whether they invite you for interview! Hope that helps! :smile:

Also I have heard that Sainsbury's do an online test too that determines whether or not you get an interview

The only thing I would say is be careful with M&S, most positions are Christmas temp jobs at the moment but they aren't advertised like that. They really don't care whether you've got to go and see family members or you'll be halfway across the country for Christmas - as a temp you're expected to work the 24th, 26th and sometimes both. If you know you can't commit to this then I would say have a look again after Christmas, around mid January :smile:
Original post by mariamaisabelle
Hey, I was in the same position as you last year! I would say try John Lewis/Waitrose, M&S and also Boots.I had never had a job before either just the odd bit of babysitting work and a tiny bit of work experience. I managed to get interviews at all three. I ended up accepting my offer from M&S and it was great. Just moved to uni and now work in a different store.

Those three work out just as well for those who have never had jobs because even though there is space on the online application form to write down previous employment, you have to complete an online test and that's what determines whether they invite you for interview! Hope that helps! :smile:

Also I have heard that Sainsbury's do an online test too that determines whether or not you get an interview

The only thing I would say is be careful with M&S, most positions are Christmas temp jobs at the moment but they aren't advertised like that. They really don't care whether you've got to go and see family members or you'll be halfway across the country for Christmas - as a temp you're expected to work the 24th, 26th and sometimes both. If you know you can't commit to this then I would say have a look again after Christmas, around mid January :smile:

thank you :smile: actually I kept looking on waitrose and couldn't find anything, but then I noticed my nearest wait rose having new employees so I thought they must be hiring but I couldn't find any vacancies :frown: I signed up for job alerts though. I tried to book an m&s interview but they were all during school hours :frown: I also can't find any vacancies that fit around my hours. I'll try again after Christmas :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you :smile: actually I kept looking on waitrose and couldn't find anything, but then I noticed my nearest wait rose having new employees so I thought they must be hiring but I couldn't find any vacancies :frown: I signed up for job alerts though. I tried to book an m&s interview but they were all during school hours :frown: I also can't find any vacancies that fit around my hours. I'll try again after Christmas :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah after Christmas is a good idea, when everything is less busy in stores, I got my job 2 weeks into January and I started on the first of feb so around then is probably a great time :smile:

I agree
Reply 15
It's not a good time of year to apply for jobs because most places have overstaffed for xmas then will keep on the good ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I know about this job opportunity, they started recruiting last week. The only limitation is, it's only for 18+. Really flexible job. I can do this, and hold another part/full-time job. Services required are just money handling services. This firm handles petty and small time payments for larger companies. So you're hired to handle funds as instructed. Basically, your job would consist of receiving the funds through western union / moneygram, and handling the funds as instructed. I earn about 20-30£ for every shift. One shift could take max. 30 minutes for me to complete. So I can still keep my job as a cashier and max extra pocket money. pm me if you'd like to get a position as such.
You tried SportsDirect.com yet? We get quite a few first timers. failing that, actually phoning up your local McDonalds or walking in with a CV is far more likely to get you a job than applying online, in my area at least.
Original post by omearatho
You tried SportsDirect.com yet? We get quite a few first timers. failing that, actually phoning up your local McDonalds or walking in with a CV is far more likely to get you a job than applying online, in my area at least.

I live in south east London so I'm not sure if it's easy to get a job in McDonald's or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't live that far away from you! I'm just west of Brighton. TBH McDonalds jobs are always some of the easiest, and as long as you don't work too many hours, school and work is fine. 10-12 hours between Fri-Sat-Sun is easily manageable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending