The Student Room Group

I can't understand girls AT ALL. Help please

Seriously, if there is one thing in this world I can't (and probably won't ever) understand it is girls. I have so many male friends but I've never had ONE female friend. I've never got a girlfriend either for what it's worth.

Back in February I met a girl. One of the most beautiful girls I had seen in my life. We eventually became really good friends. Well I thought so. I really believed I had a chance with her. She likes all my posts on Facebook (especially pictures), we got along well and in the last 6 months we've seen each other every week. She has invited to everything (a lot of parties, birthdays, trips abroad, new year's, etc). I thought I had finally got ONE female friend. I like her more than just as a friend but you know, better friend than nothing. I never tried anything that could make her think I like her that way.

Anyway, anytime she asks me something, I always say yes (it doesn't matter what it is), I've helped her with so many things. I've never said her no. I've never had an argument with her. I have bad qualities like everyone but I'm really kind (I don't remember having a single problem with someone in the last 10 years).

Yesterday it was too much though. Another party that ended badly. Basically her mother slapped her twice in the face for nothing (in front of everyone), someone threw water in the house, she slipped, hit her head in the corner. She went to her room, I was the only one going after her. I stayed with her during 1 hour, speaking to her, calming her. Same this morning. I've never got one thank you from her. Not one "you're such a good friend" or whatever.

Worse, she posts "friend <3" on her (real) friends' FB walls. She often posts videos consisting of images and saying things like "I love my friends so much"... All friends we have in common are on them. I am not. She also had an argument with one of our friends yesterday. She said this morning she didn't want to speak with him anymore... What do I see on FB? "Doing something with my best friend <3" on his wall. Erm, ok. It's always like that, it seems that the more she has arguments with someone, the more she likes him... Her best friends are the ones she has a lot of arguments with.

tl;dr I really need help. It's like that with every girl I meet. There are two solutions: I am the problem or they are. But I can't believe that I've only met girls like that or that all girls are like that. So what's wrong with me? I think maybe being too kind isn't a good idea. But that's who I am. I can't change this sort of thing and I shouldn't have to... It works perfectly with guys but girls... No can do.

Scroll to see replies

Me neither :confused:
Reply 2
Original post by Blondie987
Me neither :confused:

Welcome home pal.

If someone who understands them or a girl can help us, please do :smile:
I don't understand girls and I am a girl myself! :lol:
Original post by Anonymous
Seriously, if there is one thing in this world I can't (and probably won't ever) understand it is girls. I have so many male friends but I've never had ONE female friend. I've never got a girlfriend either for what it's worth.

Back in February I met a girl. One of the most beautiful girls I had seen in my life. We eventually became really good friends. Well I thought so. I really believed I had a chance with her. She likes all my posts on Facebook (especially pictures), we got along well and in the last 6 months we've seen each other every week. She has invited to everything (a lot of parties, birthdays, trips abroad, new year's, etc). I thought I had finally got ONE female friend. I like her more than just as a friend but you know, better friend than nothing. I never tried anything that could make her think I like her that way.

Anyway, anytime she asks me something, I always say yes (it doesn't matter what it is), I've helped her with so many things. I've never said her no. I've never had an argument with her. I have bad qualities like everyone but I'm really kind (I don't remember having a single problem with someone in the last 10 years).

Yesterday it was too much though. Another party that ended badly. Basically her mother slapped her twice in the face for nothing (in front of everyone), someone threw water in the house, she slipped, hit her head in the corner. She went to her room, I was the only one going after her. I stayed with her during 1 hour, speaking to her, calming her. Same this morning. I've never got one thank you from her. Not one "you're such a good friend" or whatever.

Worse, she posts "friend <3" on her (real) friends' FB walls. She often posts videos consisting of images and saying things like "I love my friends so much"... All friends we have in common are on them. I am not. She also had an argument with one of our friends yesterday. She said this morning she didn't want to speak with him anymore... What do I see on FB? "Doing something with my best friend <3" on his wall. Erm, ok. It's always like that, it seems that the more she has arguments with someone, the more she likes him... Her best friends are the ones she has a lot of arguments with.

tl;dr I really need help. It's like that with every girl I meet. There are two solutions: I am the problem or they are. But I can't believe that I've only met girls like that or that all girls are like that. So what's wrong with me? I think maybe being too kind isn't a good idea. But that's who I am. I can't change this sort of thing and I shouldn't have to... It works perfectly with guys but girls... No can do.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you and not all girls are like this, she doesn't seem to appreciate you enough. Try to back off and stop putting her first maybe she'll realise how good you are to her if you tone it down for a while. I don't think she realises how amazing you are and the only way to do this is to not do it as much. take care hun, you're doing nothing wrong :hugs:
Reply 5
Original post by DominiqueNelson
There is absolutely nothing wrong with you and not all girls are like this, she doesn't seem to appreciate you enough. Try to back off and stop putting her first maybe she'll realise how good you are to her if you tone it down for a while. I don't think she realises how amazing you are and the only way to do this is to not do it as much. take care hun, you're doing nothing wrong :hugs:

Thank you, it's really nice of you :smile:
I am sure that not all girls are like this but I'm really starting to lose faith. She is not the first girl I meet who love trouble and arguments so much. I understand that she has only known me since February when she has known some of her friends for years... But still, she shouldn't behave like that. I thought she was so much better than this :frown:
I'll definitely follow your advice, I don't think she'll realize how good I was to her because she has so many friends and she doesn't seem to care about me but for my own good I have to do it
Thank you, it's really nice of you :smile:
I am sure that not all girls are like this but I'm really starting to lose faith. She is not the first girl I meet who love trouble and arguments so much. I understand that she has only known me since February when she has known some of her friends for years... But still, she shouldn't behave like that. I thought she was so much better than this :frown:
I'll definitely follow your advice, I don't think she'll realize how good I was to her because she has so many friends and she doesn't seem to care about me but for my own good I have to do it

Hey honestly no problem! Also how old are you both, she may realise it more as she gets older(same for other girls) if she is young. Trust me it all gets better as you mature (i'm not trying to be patronizing, sorry if it sounds that way) :hugs:
Reply 7
Hey honestly no problem! Also how old are you both, she may realise it more as she gets older(same for other girls) if she is young. Trust me it all gets better as you mature (i'm not trying to be patronizing, sorry if it sounds that way) :hugs:

Don't worry you don't sound that way! Thanks again
We are both 23... :frown:
I need to see her less. In Feb 2016 I'll be abroad in Denmark for 6 months for a compulsory internship. I think I'll have time to forget her. But when I get back it's just gonna be the same, we have so many friends in common...
Harsh as it sounds but She isn't worth your time.
Don't worry you don't sound that way! Thanks again
We are both 23... :frown:
I need to see her less. In Feb 2016 I'll be abroad in Denmark for 6 months for a compulsory internship. I think I'll have time to forget her. But when I get back it's just gonna be the same, we have so many friends in common...

I know it is difficult but just try to put yourself first a bit more and say 'no' once in a while, it will help you and may make her see what an amazing person you are. Maybe then, she will give you more credit! It will all play out just fine hun :smile: I'm always online if you ever need to talk! (i have no life) :lol: :hugs:
Original post by Mystery.
Harsh as it sounds but She isn't worth your time.

It's ok, thanks for your honesty.
The only way for me to forget her is to stop seeing her... But if I say I'll lose at least 20+ other friends (we have in common)... Hard decision to make.
I know it is difficult but just try to put yourself first a bit more and say 'no' once in a while, it will help you and may make her see what an amazing person you are. Maybe then, she will give you more credit! It will all play out just fine hun :smile: I'm always online if you ever need to talk! (i have no life) :lol: :hugs:

Thank you :smile:
I will try to do that
Allow her mate! I've been there before and I still remember the day I told her about how I felt... She literally acted speechless and didn't say anything in regards to it. However, she continued to use me by taking advantage of my niceness and my willingness to do everything for her but eventually one day she actually found a guy who she could actually "like like" and at that point she began avoiding me. Therefore, I completely cut off from her and what do you know... after some time she comes back looking for that friendship as it didn't work out with the boy. She asked me where I've been and whats up with me and I being me just told her straight up that I didn't want anything to do with her as she just didn't appreciate me and now she'll have to live with it.

BUT!!! depressing story over and now the main course of action for you...

First of all cut off from her right now and let her suffer for a bit without someone to care. A cold shoulder approach initially is amazing because it takes a lot of will power to avoid her but once you do she'll begin appreciating you and thinking of you. Secondly, don't be overly nice or overly sensitive to begin with. I'm personally a very sensitive and hearty kind of guy but I had to adopt this approach since my experience with all other girls after and now I'm the happiest I've been because I'm with someone who appreciates me just as much I appreciate her. It's taken time but you have to let her take the initiative if she needs you :h:
It's ok, thanks for your honesty.
The only way for me to forget her is to stop seeing her... But if I say I'll lose at least 20+ other friends (we have in common)... Hard decision to make.

Yeah, I understand. Hope it goes well.
Perhaps, ask her to do stuff and see if she says yes and chases you.
If you text a lot, leave it to her to text first.
Next time she asks to do something, make an excuse like you're ill and see if she cares.
Don't say 'yes' all the time, as you said being too kind isn't good, people will take advantage of you.
If she doesn't come after you, then you are wasting your time, she's using you as a means to make more friends just try limit how much you see her.
It's a two way street.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Mystery.
Yeah, I understand. Hope it goes well.
Perhaps, ask her to do stuff and see if she says yes and chases you.
If you text a lot, leave it to her to text first.
Next time she asks to do something, make an excuse like you're ill and see if she cares.
Don't say 'yes' all the time, as you said being too kind isn't good, people will take advantage of you.
If she doesn't come after you, then you are wasting your time, she's using you as a means to make more friends just try limit how much you see her.
It's a two way street.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks a lot, it really helps :smile:
I often ask her to do stuff. The first time I asked her to go eat somewhere, she came, it was fun. A few minutes after we went separate ways she thanked me (I think that was the only time she thanked me for something) and said she really liked it. Now every time I ask her to do something she asks if she can come with her friends (who are my friends too now)...
I text her a lot but yes I'll stop that, I'll stop saying yes all the time too.
She won't stop texting me imo, she invites me to do something every Saturday evening (but there are always at least 15 people).
I don't think she invites me to make more friends because tbh where I'm currently living outside of them I have like 1 or 2 friends. All my friends live far from here (where I used to study). But I'm really starting to think that she invites me for the 'little things' I can give her (i.e. bringing a present for birthdays and a bottle for parties, the fact that her friends like me, the fact that I like the pictures she posts almost everyday on FB and she's happy, etc).
Allow her mate! I've been there before and I still remember the day I told her about how I felt... She literally acted speechless and didn't say anything in regards to it. However, she continued to use me by taking advantage of my niceness and my willingness to do everything for her but eventually one day she actually found a guy who she could actually "like like" and at that point she began avoiding me. Therefore, I completely cut off from her and what do you know... after some time she comes back looking for that friendship as it didn't work out with the boy. She asked me where I've been and whats up with me and I being me just told her straight up that I didn't want anything to do with her as she just didn't appreciate me and now she'll have to live with it.

BUT!!! depressing story over and now the main course of action for you...

First of all cut off from her right now and let her suffer for a bit without someone to care. A cold shoulder approach initially is amazing because it takes a lot of will power to avoid her but once you do she'll begin appreciating you and thinking of you. Secondly, don't be overly nice or overly sensitive to begin with. I'm personally a very sensitive and hearty kind of guy but I had to adopt this approach since my experience with all other girls after and now I'm the happiest I've been because I'm with someone who appreciates me just as much I appreciate her. It's taken time but you have to let her take the initiative if she needs you :h:

Thanks for your story. I'm sorry it ended that way... But it's really cool that you found someone and this part of your life is behind you. She hasn't dated anyone since I know her (which is weird, because she's really beautiful and seems really nice, and I know a hundred people who would love to date her...) but if she finds someone it's possible that she does the same thing as yours. Not cool at all. You did what you had to do, she didn't give you any other options.

She doesn't need me though and I know it. She has many many friends and as I said as many possible lovers. But that's ok, there isn't much I can do about it anyway. But when you get along so well with someone, you're so nice with them, you can expect a bit more.
honestly, you dont understand girls?! I dont understand boys myself! they dont get how to treat a girl with respect (not all the time at least) and most of the guys i know are generally pretty vain and full of themselves. why?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're putting her on a pedestal. Seems like you're going out of your way to help her with the intention of becoming her boyfriend, that doesn't work in reality though.

Nothing wrong with being nice but if you're only doing that to try and date her you might as well just give that up right now since it doesn't work.

She probably just considers you a friends and nothing more. Being overtly nice has that tendency to imply to people you just want to be friends.
Original post by SophisticatedSir
You're putting her on a pedestal. Seems like you're going out of your way to help her with the intention of becoming her boyfriend, that doesn't work in reality though.

Nothing wrong with being nice but if you're only doing that to try and date her you might as well just give that up right now since it doesn't work.

She probably just considers you a friends and nothing more. Being overtly nice has that tendency to imply to people you just want to be friends.

You're right but that's the problem, I like her as a friend and I want to date her at the same time. I like the second option best but I've no balls when it comes to that and I'm like a 5, 6 at best and she's easily a 9. So yeah, 'better friends than nothing'. But I see what you're getting at, basically I'm expecting more than what I should and being friends and wanting to date are two different things.

Seems like I'm stuck forever then, there is no point in telling her she will say no and it would be so awkward between us and the 20+ friends we have in common. On the other hand, I need to stop seeing her so I can forget her but I would have to sacrifice her (I still consider her as a very good friend) and 20 other friends...
Original post by fishicakeyxx
honestly, you dont understand girls?! I dont understand boys myself! they dont get how to treat a girl with respect (not all the time at least) and most of the guys i know are generally pretty vain and full of themselves. why?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for you!
There are some very nice guys but they're not always the ones girls would like to date... It's the same the other way around too I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending