The Student Room Group

Throwing away chance at top uni...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Have you made inquiries about transferring?

Not yet, because I don't know what to do...
Original post by lizmoo0721
Not yet, because I don't know what to do...

Then maybe you should make that a high priority after the Xmas break unless the offices are still open now (doubtful).

Which London uni are you at?
Original post by 0123456543210
I know many people who refused to study in the London universities despite the prestige either because they didn't like the feel of the city or because it is too expensive. So, it is understandable. There are great campus universities which are prestigious as well eg. Durham, Exeter, Oxford, York.

Other than the fact Oxford and Durham are not campus universities which others have already stated, I find it amusing how it appears you are trying to argue the case for Oxford being prestigious compared to the London universities...probably wasn't meant to look that (silly) way on your part.

Made me chuckle though.
I am currently at a University in central London, I am loving the course, the people I have met are lovely, but I don't feel like I am having the 'university experience'.
I'd much rather be on a campus, living in halls (i'm commuting), be able to join sports and societies without worrying about missing the last train.

I don't know what to do. I would want to move to a campus university like Sussex, Exeter or UEA, but I really am stuck on what to do.

I have been feeling this way since the beginning of the semester. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

Also just to add university life is really what you make of it and assuming you are at one of the UoL colleges, you have the benefits of not only your own university's clubs and socs but also the wider UoL at their own student union not to mention the wealth of opportunities in London itself. Of course money and time may be a factor.

However (assuming you're at one of UCL, King's or LSE) I would actually be cautious about dropping out to go elsewhere or transferring also with a view to your future career etc, networking opportunities are far better at the London universities than say at Exeter or York.

Whilst of course university is as much about the social experience, don't make a decision based on that as once the fun and music dies down, you want to end up with a degree and in the best possible position to land a decent graduate job. With the greatest of respect to say York and Exeter and most of the other RGs bar Oxbridge and Edinburgh and Warwick, London gives you the best opportunities.

Give it some thought over the Xmas break. Also think about stuff you want to get involved in and see if it's available at your university etc.
I am currently at a University in central London, I am loving the course, the people I have met are lovely, but I don't feel like I am having the 'university experience'.
I'd much rather be on a campus, living in halls (i'm commuting), be able to join sports and societies without worrying about missing the last train.

I don't know what to do. I would want to move to a campus university like Sussex, Exeter or UEA, but I really am stuck on what to do.

I have been feeling this way since the beginning of the semester. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

Cut straight to the point. What uni u at atm?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Cut straight to the point. What uni u at atm?

I guess King's and wants to go to Exeter?
I guess King's and wants to go to Exeter?

Yeah, I'm at King's. Not sure where I want to be, just at a campus uni.
I think its a tough decision. Its not easy to be somewhere where you're not happy but I think your future prospects would be much greater if you stayed put.

Personally I would probably stay now you're there but I wouldn't have chosen london in the first place- for the same reason as you (I had an offer from LSE). Chose a non university (in the traditional sense) route in the end anyway :smile:
Honestly, you will quickly tire of a campus atmosphere especially the halls bit, especially if you have loud people around you and on other floors. It's really not all that, much better to just stop commuting and try and integrate more with student life at your current uni. It would be a godsend to have a quiet environment and be able to study in hall! Just stick it out not long left until end of first year
Wipe my browsing history

Unless you were trading in for Oxbridge, LSE or UCL I would honestly stay put. Going anywhere else would be a huge step down and the whole 'campus experience' dies pretty quickly when finals kick in or when you realise those recruiters who'd have come to King's bypassed your new university.
I understand how much you value the social scene and so you should but it really is just one aspect of university and in all honesty you might find taking a step down in prestige to be a huge negative over any other social aspect.
Original post by ByronicHero
Life is too short to choose to be unhappy. I also wanted a campus experience and, coincidentally, applied to all three of those at one time or another. You should make the decision that you think is right for you.

This guy gets it - it's about being happy and if you're not then you've already made your decision.

Have a friend at kings doing 1st year biomed who feels the exact same as you.
She's actualy feeling really disappointed with the university as a whole and is seriously wishing she went to a campus university also.

If something really doesn't feel right see what you can do about changing it. I know these people say you should stick with it. But if that isn't working for you there's nothing wrong with changing.

I know people who have jumped courses such as from accounting to teaching to journalism!

At the end of the day it's something you have to decide for yourself.
Have you tried enquiring with the accommodation office to see if any spaces have opened up in halls? They invariably have by this time of year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go wherever you are happy.

I had to transfer from a prestigious Russell group uni to my local ex- poly because the journey was so far (two trains and a bus) that I could never stay for societies because I was worried about public transport.

Luckily, my course was exactly the same (Psychology Q800) so when I tranferred it wasn't a big deal. An extra two hours in bed and the societies I joined made me a lot happier also.

I wouldn't worry about the prestigious thing. As a recent graduate, I feel like I'm in the same boat as people from my old uni also. Employers care more about work experience anyway.
Does anyone know if you can transfer uni's back into first year without using UCAS?? Thanks :smile:
Bristol is amazing i love it ,im glad i chose it instead of Imperial.

However (assuming you're at one of UCL, King's or LSE) I would actually be cautious about dropping out to go elsewhere or transferring also with a view to your future career etc, networking opportunities are far better at the London universities than say at Exeter or York.

You might expect that, but you'd be surprised by the number of employers who trek to York and Exeter.
Reply 38
Does anyone know if you can transfer uni's back into first year without using UCAS?? Thanks :smile:

No, because you wouldn't be transferring, you'd be starting a degree from scratch.

A transfer would be if you complete your first year where you are, then start the second year at a different uni.
Original post by callum_law
You might expect that, but you'd be surprised by the number of employers who trek to York and Exeter.

Yes but I would suspect KCL holds greater weight amongst the big name firms than York and Exeter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending