The Student Room Group

Factual inaccuracy/discrepancy between CV and Personal Statement

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a while, but today I found the need to post and search for some advice. I'm a masters in management applicant and have sent out a couple of my applications. However, yesterday while glancing through the CV that I uploaded, I noticed that I had a factually inaccuracy in the section where I describe my internship! So instead of 'my action lead to an x% sales increase', I had 'my action lead to an x/2% sales increase'!

The problem is my personal statement mentions it as 'x%' rather than the incorrect 'x/2%'. To give you a better idea of the situation, my CV is in font size 10 and this info is quite inconspicuous on the CV. On the other hand, my PS is in font 11.5 and the last line of the first page mentions this %.

Do you guys think I should just drop it and forget thinking about it or attach the new CV on an email to Grad Admisssions team and ask them to update my application with the newer CV?

This may sound like a silly question but I'm really freaking out about it!! Any advice will surely help. Thanks!
I'm not sure what to advise, but I will share an experience I had in an interview for a competitive internship.

They pointed out to me that I had left a (quite prominent) sentence on my CV completely unfinished, so I told them what it was supposed to say and that I had gone to write something else down before I forgot and then forgotten the previous sentence - and we all had a little laugh about it and they wrote in what I had intended to say.

I don't think that the small error you made is enough for them to not interview you, so either you'll get the interview and they'll ask you about it, or they won't even notice, or you'll not get the interview but probably for a different reason!

On the other hand asking to replace your CV probably won't affect your application negatively, so either seems OK!

Best of luck with your application.
Reply 2
Original post by square_peg
I'm not sure what to advise, but I will share an experience I had in an interview for a competitive internship.

They pointed out to me that I had left a (quite prominent) sentence on my CV completely unfinished, so I told them what it was supposed to say and that I had gone to write something else down before I forgot and then forgotten the previous sentence - and we all had a little laugh about it and they wrote in what I had intended to say.

I don't think that the small error you made is enough for them to not interview you, so either you'll get the interview and they'll ask you about it, or they won't even notice, or you'll not get the interview but probably for a different reason!

On the other hand asking to replace your CV probably won't affect your application negatively, so either seems OK!

Best of luck with your application.

Thanks a lot for your input. Yeah I agree, the safest option may just to be replace the CV. The issue is, for this college (LSE), there isn't an interview process; unlike LBS (where I've been invited for an interview!). I'm hoping the LSE Grad Admissions team is easy to deal with and agree to change my CV!
Just email and say you'd like to update your CV

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending