The Student Room Group

Would you have an arranged marriage?

I would; If my parents found someone for me to marry and i agreed with them then I would marry them. Luckily my parents would never make me marry someone I don't want to or someone from back home.

If i was to get married then what I look for in a guy, my parents do to; Most importantly religion (Islam) and then education. Looks don't bother me tbh. If i found someone that i want to marry them and im 90% sure they would say yes.

Wby guys, if your parents found someone for you, what would you do/say?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Parents? Doubt they would find a 'suitor' I like (what is the woman version of this? a dresser?). I kind of have had an 'arranged marriage' not literally, but my best friend hooked me up with a girl before which made sense. Friends know you better than parents (sometimes), they can provide good matches.
(edited 8 years ago)
would rather stay single than having an arranged marriage
Original post by mkap
I would; If my parents found someone for me to marry and i agreed with them then I would marry them. Luckily my parents would never make me marry someone I don't want to or someone from back home.

If i was to get married then what I look for in a guy, my parents do to; Most importantly religion (Islam) and then education. Looks don't bother me tbh. If i found someone that i want to marry them and im 90% sure they would say yes.

Wby guys, if your parents found someone for you, what would you do/say?

I wouldn't have an arranged marriage only due to the circumstances I'm in. I have cousins and family members in arranged marriages and they've lasted just fine. But for me, I definitely have to find my own person; because I'm a homosexual; so I can't really marry a man and mess things up like that:s-smilie:.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I wouldn't have an arranged marriage only due to the circumstances I'm in. I have cousins and family members in arranged marriages and they've lasted just fine. But for me, I definitely have to find my own person; because I'm a homosexual; so I can't really marry a man and mess things up like that:s-smilie:.

Im guessing your asian? how would your parents react if you said you found a person and they were of the same gender? I have a Hindu cousin who im pretty sure is gay and his parents dont seem bothered :smile:
I'd feel like I've been really unsuccessful in life if I ended up with an arranged marriage
I would, i look alot better on paper than irl.
Original post by mkap
Im guessing your asian? how would your parents react if you said you found a person and they were of the same gender? I have a Hindu cousin who im pretty sure is gay and his parents dont seem bothered :smile:

Yes I am:smile:. They definitely would react really badly; but I think my mum is generally a bit clueless. But I've had cousins and aunties confront me about certain pictures being too "gay" and "making me look like a lesbian". My parents have always told me that I do anything bad; I will always have to choose between maintaining that relationship with my parents or doing my own thing. So they would disown me.
Reply 8
no. my wife would be really annoyed.
Reply 9
Great!!! I do agree. I got arranged marriage too.My parents matched a suitable person for me,keeping in trust, life goes smooth.
Same as you I would say. If they found someone good for me whom I like as well then I will marry her. My parents wont force me on one. If I dun like someone they can always find someone else better suited for me. :smile:
Surprised the dimwits who don't know the difference between a forced marriage and an arranged marriage haven't popped up.
Reply 12
yay i got my next gem rn #lifegoals
Hell no.
I would but only if the guy wanted to marry me too and we could have some time to get to know each other first

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course...parents know what's best for me
Reply 16
I woundn't .I would prefer having a love marriage because my parents would get me arranged to get married to a freshie Somali guy :frown:.
I think if my mum had a choice I'd end up married to a crazy cat lady. So no because realistically adultery would be guaranteed if I was arranged to marry someone I couldn't really love, and the amount of harm adultery causes is appalling, particularly if you have children.
Im with ya OP
Original post by Matrix123
I would but only if the guy wanted to marry me too and we could have some time to get to know each other first

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

I dont see an issue if you like the person and get along :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending