The Student Room Group

Woman is verbally attacking me because I am Muslim

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkap
why else would a close minded person verbally attack someone? its either bc of OP's race or religion.

The person could well enough have a mental health issue. In which case it isn't her fault... don't make assumptions that someone is being verbally abusive because of discriminatory ideas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
So because of my Islamic dress, a woman that lives near me has been verbally attacking me... I was walking down the road and saw a sad looking woman so I smiled at her to which she shouted 'bogger off'. I was taken aback and moved away from her and carried on walking. The next time I saw her, I tried not to keep eye contact but she glared at me and said **** OFF. She took her time glaring at me and walked towards me as if she was going to do something. I was on the end of the pavement so was really scared she was going to push me into the main road, as I was on a maid road with lots of cars coming. I saw her a third time when I was running for the train, i managed to see where she lives because she was standing at her doorstep with her usual demented look, glaring at me. She didnt have the chance to say anything this time because I was running for the train. The fourth time i saw her, I saw her from a distance so she couldnt see me. Anyway, now I'm thinking of reporting her to the police. At first I was scared and thought this might anger her even more, and because she looks like a tramp and a psycho, Idk what shes capable of. So what would you do if you were me? I've warned my family of her because my sister and mum dress islamically too...Thanks :smile:

I don't know this person's background: but her rather obsessional behaviour suggests someone that has a mental health issue. I note that when you first saw her she was 'sad looking' which may indicate depression.Whether or not she is motivated by Islamophobia is difficult to say. A factor here is simply that you look different to other people around you, so there is an element of 'frequency illusion' too. She saw you once, now she sees you all the time because she hadn't noticed before and now you are more visible.

What you did in smiling to her, when you could see she was sad, was both kind and good. But people can take things the wrong way all the time and if she is suffering from a mental health condition then that process may well be exacerbated. Don't stop being nice to people, of course; and be aware that if she does have severe depression she is overwhelmingly likely to harm herself, not other people. Having said that, if things are escalating (rather than just repeating) then a quiet word with the police may be a good idea.
Rko her
She sounds mentally I'll sadly, if you feel unsafe next time something happens, there's no harm in just speaking to a policeman. They may even tell you that she has a history of being intimidating but is nothing to really worry about. I've had stalker a including one mentally ill guy who I had to report and he got banned from setting foot in the entire shopping district of Reading because of it! If her comment become racist, obviously she's not all there and you shouldn't let them upset you. Wishing you luck with this issue.
Reply 24
Original post by AmazingArry
The person could well enough have a mental health issue. In which case it isn't her fault... don't make assumptions that someone is being verbally abusive because of discriminatory ideas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

she doesnt do it to anyone else....
So she told you to **** off after you smiled at her (which she took for a sneer, I'm guessing), looked at you funny and now you're thinking of telling the police? Well done. Way to play the religion card.
So because of my Islamic dress, a woman that lives near me has been verbally attacking me... I was walking down the road and saw a sad looking woman so I smiled at her to which she shouted 'bogger off'. I was taken aback and moved away from her and carried on walking. The next time I saw her, I tried not to keep eye contact but she glared at me and said **** OFF. She took her time glaring at me and walked towards me as if she was going to do something. I was on the end of the pavement so was really scared she was going to push me into the main road, as I was on a maid road with lots of cars coming. I saw her a third time when I was running for the train, i managed to see where she lives because she was standing at her doorstep with her usual demented look, glaring at me. She didnt have the chance to say anything this time because I was running for the train. The fourth time i saw her, I saw her from a distance so she couldnt see me. Anyway, now I'm thinking of reporting her to the police. At first I was scared and thought this might anger her even more, and because she looks like a tramp and a psycho, Idk what shes capable of. So what would you do if you were me? I've warned my family of her because my sister and mum dress islamically too...Thanks :smile:

You should warn her that if she does anything you will report her
Original post by mkap
she doesnt do it to anyone else....

But that's the thing. Sometimes people with dementia and schritzo get extremely paranoid and think people are following them or the hate them and are delusional. You can't assume someone hates someone because of their religion. Yes there are people who do do that but not everyone. Never assume anyone has bad intentions before you can prove they actually do. The lady used no islamophobic comments, so you can't say she is islamophobic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the problem in the pc world people jump to conclusions, looking deeper it could be she dislikes you because you are different, not necessarily in a racist way but she is just used to things being a certain way.

People these days like to see things in whats not there or look too deep into things that are.

It could be as simple as both of you being paranoid so the old person interprets stares as being rude and gets over angry.
You could, you know, ask her what is her problem. If she does the say something racially offensive then you can report it to the police. Otherwise, you can try to talk it through.

Spoiler

Ok here's a tiny detail I forgot to include. The second time I saw her, when she walked past me and passed through other people there was another Muslim lady who was really focused on her child and not her surroundings. So I was looking closely to see if she would treat her like that aswell, I could have sworn she was walking towards her, glaring and staring at her aswell but because the lady was so focussed on her misbehaving child she had no idea that the woman was even there. I don't know if she said anything to her because I was too far away, but because the lady never gave her eye contact she just gave up and went into the shop. So that suggests she's got an issue with the Religion to me. Like Kisaki said, regardless of her motives, it's not fair for her to attack random strangers like that, I couldn't care less about her reasoning, I don't know her and have not done anything to her therefore neither I or anyone else deserves that treatment. She does look deranged and mental but I've decided I'm going to report her because I shouldn't have to suffer just because she is suffering. I wouldn't expect anyone to take that sort of behaviour from me so why should I take it from her? If she is ill then the police can surely investigate her case and assist her. The next time I see her I will definitely ask her what her problem is but to me that doesn't justify her actions. She was not attacking everyone on the street, just me. So does her mental problem suddenly trigger something when she sees me? Either way I still feel like reporting her for my own safety and the safety of others.
But I have nothing else to go by, it's not like I can read her mind and know what her intentions are. I don't understand what you expect me to do, I'm not just judging her on her looks but by her actions aswell.
Original post by Duncan2012
So she told you to **** off after you smiled at her (which she took for a sneer, I'm guessing), looked at you funny and now you're thinking of telling the police? Well done. Way to play the religion card.

It's just my personal opinion that she is insulting me because of my Religion. I know I that might not be correct. But that's not the point here, the point is she is possibly a threat and that's why I want to tell the police.
You berated OP for jumping to a conclusion that the old woman was rude to her based on the way she dresses, but LMFAO what kind of explanation have you just come up with based on one small detail that she had difficulty walking? Absolutely ridiculous stuff.
(edited 8 years ago)
Tbf Britain has a horrible free speech record (granted its not Iran/Turkey/Saudi Arabia)
Original post by AliRizzo
You berated OP for jumping to a conclusion that the old woman was rude to her based on the way she dresses, but LMFAO what kind of explanation have you just come up with based on one small detail that she had difficulty walking? Absolutely ridiculous stuff.

Exactly what I was thinking. How is Peroxidation tellling me I am judging her based on her looks when he's gone and done the same thing, by trying to tell me her entire life story based on one small detail. And her right to being antisocial is all well and fine by me as long as I don't get shouted at whilst casually walking down the road.
Exactly what I was thinking. How is Peroxidation tellling me I am judging her based on her looks when he's gone and done the same thing, by trying to tell me her entire life story based on one small detail. And her right to being antisocial is all well and fine by me as long as I don't get shouted at whilst casually walking down the road.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.
don't listen to these white people making excuses for her. next time she does something you need to walk right up to her and ask her what her problem is. don't be scared of people like that you have the right to feel comfortable and safe anywhere you go in your area.
Ok here's a tiny detail I forgot to include. The second time I saw her, when she walked past me and passed through other people there was another Muslim lady who was really focused on her child and not her surroundings. So I was looking closely to see if she would treat her like that aswell, I could have sworn she was walking towards her, glaring and staring at her aswell but because the lady was so focussed on her misbehaving child she had no idea that the woman was even there. I don't know if she said anything to her because I was too far away, but because the lady never gave her eye contact she just gave up and went into the shop. So that suggests she's got an issue with the Religion to me. Like Kisaki said, regardless of her motives, it's not fair for her to attack random strangers like that, I couldn't care less about her reasoning, I don't know her and have not done anything to her therefore neither I or anyone else deserves that treatment. She does look deranged and mental but I've decided I'm going to report her because I shouldn't have to suffer just because she is suffering. I wouldn't expect anyone to take that sort of behaviour from me so why should I take it from her? If she is ill then the police can surely investigate her case and assist her. The next time I see her I will definitely ask her what her problem is but to me that doesn't justify her actions. She was not attacking everyone on the street, just me. So does her mental problem suddenly trigger something when she sees me? Either way I still feel like reporting her for my own safety and the safety of others.

You are beyond paranoid.

Stop wasting the police's time. They have better things to do than dealing with some paranoid women who worries that a crazy nutter who looks at them weird is going to kill them. You obviously are very insecure about being Muslim. Maybe it would be better for your own mental health if you ceased to don the burka (or whatever constitutes Islamic dress to you...)
It's just my personal opinion that she is insulting me because of my Religion. I know I that might not be correct. But that's not the point here, the point is she is possibly a threat and that's why I want to tell the police.

The thread title says you are being attacked because of your religion (with a small r btw). The very first line of your post says it's because of your religious clothing. Why make such a deal of that aspect if you now say that's not the point? Why not just say 'a woman swore at me'?

If you get this concerned over anyone who swears and looks at you funny after you've smiled at them I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in a big city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending