The Student Room Group

Dated a rich kid and I hated it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So I was introduced by a friend to this guy whose my age and he's in Year 13, like me. He liked me and asked me out on a date. I said yes. We went last week and literally all he could do was talk about this yacht holiday he was going on and how he was going to party 24/7 after exams. He never asked anything about you and I turned down an invitation to another date from him.

I've dated a few rich guys before (I go to private school on a scholarship so there's an abundance of them) and they've all been the same.

Am I generalising or has anyone else ever experienced this?

I guess they're not all like that, i guess you cant generalise the whole population of rich kids just like you can't say you met one horrible guy on a date and so now all guys are horrible people- but from my experience i'd have to say i did once get "chased" by a rich boy and he thought showing off about his designer clothing and his many rolex watches and multiple famous "cousins" was the way to go to impress me. needless to say, it didnt.
Reply 41
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is, I study pretty much all the time. I've had offers from great unis and my friend thought I should get on the dating scene.

You did not have to justify yourself here I promise you. You are allowed to be as social as you want to be!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by Maker
Who you date says a lot about who you are.

True to a certain extent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Money talks because rich kids are too boring.
Reply 44
I'm afraid you're generalising... just a bit. I know exactly what you mean, but not all rich kids are so bad. I'm a fairly rich kid (not gonna lie) and I don't do that.

Never been on a yacht holiday. Also I'm no dating guru but I know it's important to get a girl talking about herself a bit and not just drone on to her about a holiday you had. Maybe private school populations are different. Many of my friends and relatives go to private schools but for some reason I was always okay with state school. Never really cared.

My dad always told me the worst thing about becoming rich is having rich kids! Some of them are insecure and get used to impressing people by bragging about their lavish lives, but you get good and bad people everywhere. I know plenty of good rich kids and plenty of good not-so-rich kids. By the end of the day we all get smacks in the face from life.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pochoze
I'm afraid you're generalising... just a bit. I know exactly what you mean, but not all rich kids are so bad. I'm a fairly rich kid (not gonna lie) and I don't do that.

Never been on a yacht holiday. Also I'm no dating guru but I know it's important to get a girl talking about herself a bit and not just drone on to her about a holiday you had. Maybe private school populations are different. Many of my friends and relatives go to private schools but for some reason I was always okay with state school. Never really cared.

My dad always told me the worst thing about becoming rich is having rich kids! Some of them are insecure and get used to impressing people by bragging about their lavish lives, but you get good and bad people everywhere. I know plenty of good rich kids and plenty of good not-so-rich kids. By the end of the day we all get smacks in the face from life.

Sadly there are more snobby kids who are rich than down to earth ones.
Original post by jamesthehustler
i can agree with you and no matter how rich i get i am making my kids have that same experience that drove me to be successful not allowing them everything they want

If I was ever a millionaire or a billionaire, my kids would do the housework and earn the smartphones and the cars when they work their asses off and do charity work.

Money talks. Wealth whispers.
Been on a date with a rich kid myself. He was very very nice but he did have a snobby kind of attitude which was a massive turn off.

Majority of the rich kids I know seem to love their wealth and flaunting it. All of them rely on their Mummy and Daddy.

The minority of rich kids I know find their wealth nauseating. One of my friend's parents actually refused to give him anything more than £100 a month when he was at uni because they didn't want him to become too reliant and careless with money. He had to work in the summer and on weekends. That is parenting done right there.

The latter are the ones who are going to survive in the real world.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've met some massively douchey rich people who love to make it known to you how rich they are, wheras others have been embarrased when they were "exposed" or they were talking about their parents or whatever. They're a mixed bag, just like everyone else. I guess don't just write someone off just because they're rich, but you probably saved yourself a lot of drama and hassle by ditching that guy.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
If I was ever a millionaire or a billionaire, my kids would do the housework and earn the smartphones and the cars when they work their asses off and do charity work.

Money talks. Wealth whispers.

wouldn't give them a smartphone give them a nokia (tempted to say brick but by then one of those will command mercades money i'd say)
He was probably just trying to impress you. A lot of guys do that. I don't like it either but it's always something they talk about whether it be accomplishments or lies to make it seem like they're so great
Original post by jamesthehustler
wouldn't give them a smartphone give them a nokia (tempted to say brick but by then one of those will command mercades money i'd say)

My parents didn't give me a smartphone until GCSEs. I'm doing the same thing. I would have failed as a parent if they grew up to be spoilt and ignorant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending